3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question for those who use a canoe....  (Read 483 times)

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Question for those who use a canoe....
« on: November 23, 2011, 11:43:00 PM »
Just recently me and a buddy have been using a canoe to get to some water bound land to Trad hunt hogs, deer, and squirrels.  The used canoe I purchased (15'.8" Ram-x) is a little heavy to load and unload unto the top of m FJ cruiser and was wondering what others are using for similar situation?  I was looking at the Old Town Guide 119 as a solo canoe this would allow me easier loading and greater benefits in accessing the area's we're finding to hunt.  The cons are it would limit carrying anyone else but would allow me to hunt alone without worrying about the loading. Anyone else used one? What your thoughts on them? And what have others found when  bow hunting with the use of a canoe or small boat?
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question for those who use a canoe....
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 11:57:00 PM »
I have an Old Town Royalex canoe which is a single person model. It weighs about 35lbs. and I can lift it myself without any trouble, the friend I got it from installed an extra seat for those times you might want to take a friend along, but you won't be carrying any big critters with you as it would be too heavy with another person along.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 12:00:00 AM »
Ken,

What the length of yours?  Were you able to carry all you're hunting gear and another person?

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 12:00:00 AM »
I use a 16' foot canoe and load onto my full size dodge by myself. I just take my time and have learned where to position it for loading. I have also seen some after-market loading systems that seemed like they would work.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 01:15:00 AM »
Man, I live in a canoe all sumer long, I have all kind... the one I use for hunting, is a Hellman Slocan, it is 17.5' and I use it solo but most of the time with my wife and daughter, We can fit a moose and 8 days of gear in it. It is a great canoe.
But there is so many brand to choose from, Do you do mainly lake paddling, or you do some mixe of lake, river and rivers with rapids? Do you need to cary a lot of gear for multy day trips?
If you do mainly lakes, I would suggest a 16 to 17' prospector in Kevlar, it will handle alsmost every thing other than class 2/3 rapids and be real light, can be paddle solo easily, and also can be portaged easily!

Let me know if you want more info.

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 01:25:00 AM »
I have an Old Town Pathfinder, it's 16' and weights 50#'S. I bought it just for the purpose of portaging from lake to lake and it will carry two people and some modest gear. Made of Royalex material. Great canoe for what you described.

Offline b44mag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 02:30:00 AM »
i have 2 i use
a 15 1/2 foot poly clearwater design i solo on the dams and easy rivers its just big enough for the if i want to take more stuff and a buddy.
or me deer and stuff for a few days. about 60ish#'s
then a blue 11 1/2 foot thick plastic 1/2 canoe 1/2 sitin kayak no name but man i love it. its just big enough for me and a deer or a bunch of treerats. it had 2 seats and i re did it to solo about 40ish#'s. i have been trying to get my buddy to go hunt like that.
while fishing we see lots of game but havent tried it yet. i had a coleman 15.5 and it was just to heavy like you said like 80ish#s but heavy duty solid canoe got rid of it for my bearcat recurve. i looked into the 119 and the i think it was the pac 12 oldtown the reviews said. great canoe but to lower the seat brackets to make it more stable. when my lil blue canoe don't float i think thats what ill get. the smaller canoes are a blast im 6'4" 265#. go for the solo and then you got both. maybe your buddy will get one also. a few of my buddys did and we have a blast on the water summer and fall.    

just remember to wear you floatation device
safe hunting to you n yours
happy turkey day

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 03:32:00 AM »
i recently bought an old town saranac 146 XT
love it heaps. not too big for solo and great for my wife an i and our little girl.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 03:54:00 AM »
Have you thought about a small trailer for the canoe that might solve your problems.  I had a coleman canoe made of ram-x and although uglyand heavy it was indestructable.  I used to drag it across the ice in the spring and fall for trapping and even ran it over tith the truck once by accident...tough canoes.

Last year a buddy and I flew in to do some moose hunting and we used his kevlar canoe, it was light enough for one guy to handle even though it was a 16 foot canoe with room to spare.  

The lighter the canoe the more it's going to cost you.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 06:53:00 AM »
I've got an FJ and built a custom rack for it.  Works like a charm for me.  I hunt from a Native Ultimate 14.5, and it's perfect for what I do.  It weighs 65#, but I have no trouble getting her up on my rack.  The secret is the rear most loading bar.  I put the kayak on the ground with the stern on the centerline behind the rack and the bow off to the side.  I then lift the bow up and rest on the rear slide loader.  Then walk to the stern, lift, and push her right on up into the saddles.

Here is a post I made on the FJ Cruiser forum with links and tech info on how I made the rack.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/127128-home-made-kayak-roof-rack-system.html
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 07:03:00 AM »
It doesn't appear like the links in my link work any more!  :)   If you have interest just pm me and I'll see if I can locate the pieces for you.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 07:58:00 AM »
I'll suggest to the wife I quit my job and every time you get ready to hunt I'll be Johnny on the spot.Think it'll work! Good morning bro and happy Thanksgiving to the Langleys.

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 08:07:00 AM »
Nice rig Apex!

I have an Old Town discovery 16'

It will hold two people and lots of gear.

I can paddle it solo, it helps to weight the bow though.  

I'd love to see how it works with a deer up there...

Offline ALwoodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 08:25:00 AM »
I have the Guide 119.  It is a great canoe.  It is fairly lightweight, I can carry and load it very easy.  I have not hunted out of it and I think it may be a little tight getting a big deer in it but can probably be done.  The nice thing about it is that it paddles easily with a double bladed paddle.  This will get you to your destination a whole lot faster.  I also have a Old Town Guide 147.  If you are looking for an inexpensive canoe this will also be a good option.  It is very stable, will have enough room for 2 but can easily be paddled solo.  I have had mine for about 15 years and it is still holding up great after a lot of use.  Of course the 147 is heavier but I can carry it on my shoulders using the yoke and it isn't bad at all.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2011, 08:41:00 AM »
I have a 16 foot Bell Northwind in royalex...weight 57# I think...I can lift it by myself easy enough but two makes it a snap.  It is a little large but has great load carrying for coolers, gear, or the occasional guest (human, deer, hog, etc)....tracks good in wind...not overly tippy and glides very well over water even with moderate chop.
I have paddled it solo but need to move to the next cross member if you put the front up too high.  :)

I carry it on my 100 series Land Cruiser but also did on my FJC.  I ended up putting BajaRack on FJC since it was plug and play but before then...and even now I have the MALONE Canoe feet....they are great.  I also have a pair of the padded velcro and tye pads you get from watersport stores for your racks....they make sliding the rig up onto rack a bunch easier....huge difference.
Here is link for the Malone Bigfoot Pro canoe carriers....comes with bow and stern lines as well.
 http://www.maloneautoracks.com/canoe-carriers.php

I like it as it removes guesswork...is sturdy...and very well built for fair price.  
Then buy a pair of the cam buckle load straps as well and you are set.  

Chasing redfish and trout all summer here in tidal flats of SC it took me maybe 4-5 minutes to load, install cam straps, tie off bow and stern.....and less time to remove using my rock sliders as steps.

Good luck and good paddling

Ron Herman
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2011, 08:46:00 AM »
I've got an Old Town 17' made from a material they call Oltinar. It's a laminated PVC material that is indestructible. this thing is a freighter that you can load 1000 pounds in and does white water pretty well with two paddlers.... but she weighs 70 pounds and i have a full size van. i used to use top mount racks, but found it much easier to use a small utility trailer rather than muscling the thing over head....

Just recently i changed my strategy and got something much lighter... these things are excellent.

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2011, 08:49:00 AM »
Old Town "Charles River". At 85lbs, for me it is the most versitile canoe on the market.

>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2011, 09:11:00 AM »
Thanks guys for the info. Marty I talked to you awhile back About your rack(very nice). I made a simpler rack out of conduit that works for now. My only issue is when loading by myself. That why I'm looking at a small lighter canoe for times when the buddy not around.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2011, 09:13:00 AM »
Here's some canoe pictures

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2011, 09:17:00 AM »
To really appreciate todays modern canoes you've gotta try a real birch bark.

Here's me in my little 12' canvas canoe next to a 26' birch bark Northwest canoe

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©