3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question on my latest bow  (Read 359 times)

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
Question on my latest bow
« on: November 24, 2011, 07:57:00 AM »
Here is my latest creation.  The nice fellow from LA wanted a simple, classic mild R/D longbow.  She is a 66" Sapelo that draws 45@27.  He ordered the bow in Feb and I ran over on the estimated completion date by a couple of months.  We had been in constant contact until the end of Aug.  He was very understanding during this delay, and always said he was in no rush.  His latest note said that he would be sending the balance right away, but I haven't seen it.  The bow has been finished now for over a month and I have heard nothing from him at all since Aug.  I've tried contacting him via pms and e-mails many times.  Unfortunately, I don't have his phone number.  How long do you folks think I should hold this bow for him.  I can't afford to keep it forever.  Thanks.

I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question on my latest bow
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 08:04:00 AM »
Gorgeous bow! As far as how long to hold it is a tough one. Maybe shoot him an e-mail stating the balance must be paid by a certain date. If the balance is not paid sell the bow the recover your investment. Times are tough as you know, plus the Holidays are here. Really a tough situation,
 Happy Thanksgiving,
 Ed
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 08:16:00 AM »
That is a beautiful hybrid longbow.

I also agree with Big Ed's comments.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 08:28:00 AM »
I have held knives for guys for a month or so,  BUT we were in constant contact.  Usually exchanges emails or calls every few days, if nothing else just to talk hunting, bows, guns, politics etc.

I agree with the above comments,   send him an email with a deadline,  or better yet give him a call just to see whats going on.

Very nice bow by the way,  Im kinda liking the more simple unfussy bows the older I get.

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 09:04:00 AM »
No telling what may have happened with the guy. May have hit hard times, had a sudden illness or death in the family. I know major life events have made me drop off the radar before.

If you have a name and an idea where he lives you could try searching the internet for a phone number or address. Also, keep this post active a few days - maybe he'll see it.

Otherwise you have no choice but to sell it. I hesitate to make a business suggestion where I have no expertise but if he contacts you after it's gone you may offer to make him another for the balance he owes now (considering of course you get full value in the imminent sale).

Beautiful bow by the way! Maybe I should pretend to be the guy   :)
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 09:16:00 AM »
The fella could of "passed away" and I would try every attempt to contact him or see if anyone here knows of him...Not sure you can post a deadline date here but give him ample time maybe a month and state it then if no response Sell it for what he owes you on it...If he has passed away maybe the family will just pay the difference to get it that he owes you or just let you keep what he already paid you and they need to understand you made an agreement with him and bought the materials and you have no controll over someones death but send your condolences and sell itfor the remainder you have invested in it...If he is still in the "Vertical" and not the "Horizontal" position then he should of responded and his loss...Sorry to put this so Bluntly but there is a few ways this fella could of kept in contact with you...You won't have problems selling it that's for sure cause it's a very nice bow...God Bless,

Keefers

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 09:33:00 AM »
Have you tried snail mail yet Marty?  

Remember those old days where you actually write on paper, put it in an envelope, and lick a stamp?

i know... i know... it's a pretty disgusting procedure in this day and age. But he might have PC problems going, or other problems.

Didn't you get a deposit on the bow? Kirk

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 10:07:00 AM »
The only contact info I have is this site and e-mail addy.  I have never even spoke with him on the phone.  That's got to be a first.  I did receive a deposit, but I think it was by paypal.

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 10:11:00 AM »
Marty,

Then only other thing that comes to mind as a businessman is to remember what you mentioned about timing.  Since circumstances made you "several months late" in completing the bow, I would consider waiting a little bit longer than you normally would in a situation like this.  If things had been "normal," I'd say you would be within your rights to sell it now.  Since they played out as they did, though, I would probably wait until the end of the year- trying what I could to make contact- and then offer it for sale.

Perhaps YOUR situation won't allow this length of time, but if it were me, that would be my thought...

Hope you get it resolved in a way that both works AND satisfies you!!!

Daryl
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 10:54:00 AM »
I appreciate the tips guys.  Yes, I plan to keep her at least until the new year.

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 11:25:00 AM »
What Hawkeye said. Great looking Bow!

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 11:38:00 AM »
That's one nice bow.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 11:44:00 AM »
Maybe PayPal could help you track him down if you explained the circumstances, am sure they won't give you his addy or phone # but maybe they could try and contact him with the info they have.

If you were 2 months late on delivery it would only seem polite to hold it for 2 months also.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 12:00:00 PM »
I would wait at least as long as you had him wait. If you told him it would be ready in July for example and you just finished it in Nov., that is 4 months. I think you owe it to him to wait 4 months. Nice bow by the way! Shawn
Shawn

Offline GMASIUK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2011, 07:27:00 PM »
I would wait a couple of months then sell it. You could then just refund his deposit via paypal. Or put the deposit aside after the bow sells and just hold it until he shows.

In my experience its better to do a full refund rather than have an unhappy customer flaming you later. You will have a clear conscience and then you don't have to worry about it.

Glen

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »
Very good advice Shawn!!!!!!!!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2011, 09:44:00 PM »
I agree with Big Ed and Shawn. It is tough times and he may really want the bow but just be having a tough time. Try to contact him and allow a little more time if needed. By the way that is a great looking bow.
USMC 82-86

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2011, 01:00:00 AM »
Yes, on this one I definately agree with Shawn.. I'm sure you had excellent reasons in having to postpone delivery and I'm thinking it's only fair to allow a similar amount of time for him to respond, finish paying for, and take delivery of the bow.

Additionally, he did send a deposit and hopefully this covered the material costs so that at this point your only trying to recover the remaining labor costs?

Gene
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline MTArrowLauncher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2011, 01:23:00 AM »
that is a beautiful bow, i wish it was for me, and if it were id be in constant contact  :)

If he paid you via Paypal, there should be a ship to address on there somewhere unless he sent it as a gift. i would email him once again and send him trackable mail to see if he got it with both saying that it is imperative that he contact you, and that since you overshot the deadline a bit, that you could hold it for a little while if he hit rough times.

hope it works out, if not id love it as an xmas present  :)

Fin
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Shifting Shadow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2011, 03:51:00 AM »
Hold it 'til the end of the year and then sell it.
"Keep the bow you like or you will be looking forever." -H.J.

One bow. One arrow. My ideal.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©