3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ...hair was flying everywhere...  (Read 656 times)

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
...hair was flying everywhere...
« on: November 24, 2011, 09:11:00 AM »
I had an interesting hunt last night.

Normally Laura and I hunt our property and have access to it thru a farmer's logging road or if the river is high, via canoe. It's been a tough season. My main hunting bow limbs broke in August. I had Lyme's disease. I had muscular problems because the anti cholesterol meds I was on (Lipitor) was being rejected by my body and the weather, hunting conditions. lack of natural food, was making this a long season. We weren't even seeing the numbers or quality of deer on our cameras that we had become used to.

I even missed a four pointer from my DB blind about a month ago when my shoulder "popped" when I raised my bow to shoot and it alerted the deer. The result...a rushed shot...in line but high.

Two nights ago I set up a decoy as a nice buck had been working the area and about four days ago he stood about 50 yards from the blind sight checking it for does. He did the same thing the next night so I figured the decoy had to come into play. The evening I set the decoy up four does showed up. The smallest, about a 60 pounder, had no trouble with it but the older does were stomping, snorting and keeping their distance. I could have shot the small doe but I knew much bigger ones were around and didn't want to use my only doe tag on such a small deer.  So much for decoys. It's found a permanent home on the ground in back of the blind.

Well....it's Thanksgiving morning, in-laws just woke up and I need to cook breakfast. I'll continue but here is a preview.

The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline L82HUNT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ...hair was flying everywhere...
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 09:22:00 AM »
Looks like the RazorCaps made a mess.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 10:42:00 AM »
Glad your having success Bill.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 10:49:00 AM »
"Smokin!"      

:campfire:    :archer:
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 11:02:00 AM »
Dadgummit Bill! Why you want to go and get us all worked up like this for?

Look forward to the hearing the story. From the looks and sound of things so far you had a rough season with a great start to Thanksgiving.

Stiks
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 11:02:00 AM »
Come on Bill, they're just in laws.  It's not like they're blood relatives or something.  You got a story to finish here  :readit:    :biglaugh:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 11:22:00 AM »
:campfire:
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Mick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 11:26:00 AM »
C'mon already......   :)

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 11:39:00 AM »
OK over two hrs. I am sure the way you shoot it did not go that far! Out with the rest of the story!! New hex-6's or what? Shawn
Shawn

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 11:45:00 AM »
Man, the "hair was flying everywhere" title sure drew me...

Ohh, the anticipation...

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 11:47:00 AM »
Give him break.....he's doing breakfast then dishes.....then he has to start diner for the in-laws, you have to make a good impression you know.   :biglaugh:   Then there's clean up.......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 11:57:00 AM »
Don't know when I'll get back for "the rest of the story", but CONGRATS! Bill.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 02:45:00 PM »
Well, my brother-in-law Mark and I had to go get a Christmas tree (for Laura). Since we get the tree on the farm I hunt we went in and found the arrow and a pair of gloves I dropped last night. I also ran over my headlamp with the truck....sometimes success comes with costs.

Back to the story. A couple of weeks ago we had the infamous Halloween snowstorm. I found other hunter's tracks in the snow (the farm is posted except for Laura and me) so I followed the tracks. What I found was two apple trees I was unaware of and a pinch point or funnel about 50 yards off the path we walk on out to our property. I never caught up to the other hunter but checked out the new funnel. I set up camera and it was getting pictures of all kinds of deer...some before sunset and more, including nice bucks, after sunrise. I sat there one morning with no activity. I kept checking the camera and kept getting good pics. I decided that this week, with the New Moon would be perfect for this spot. They would use it to cross my path and head for another group of apple trees that were very difficult to hunt.

After the goof up with the decoy and the does I decided that I would hunt the stand (it's a ground blind....the farmer let's us hunt only from the ground). On Tuesday the weather looked bad. Big rain coming and the forecast for Weds. was rain and wind but a big cool down over night. If only it wouldn't rain Weds.it  could be a perfect night to sit out. I was surprised when I got up on Weds. and the forecast had changed. No rain but cloudy and windy with the wind from the Southwest....couldn't be better. I just wondered what deer would show up.

When I got to the blind I decided to move my stool a bit deeper into the blueberry bushes as I felt very conspicuous where I had originally set the stool. So I did a little trimming and got comfortable.

Four thirty came and I had that sinking feeling that it was going to be another no show kind of hunt when I heard a branch break somewhere off to my right. A nice doe walked out to the apple tree and sniffed at few of the small apples that were there. When she picked  her head up she saw me. I had no shot...she was looking at me and I had three 2 inch saplings covering her chest. She was about 10 yards away. She couldn't smell me but was concerned with what she was seeing. She put up her tail about half way and went back the way she had come from. She stopped behind some brush after about 20 yards and looked back my way. The decision to set back into the brush seemed to pay off as she could not see me. She seemed confused and came back but circled out about 20 yards and stopped directly in one of my shooting lanes...perfectly broadside. Because of the difficulty with my health, broken bows, etc. I really was not interested in a shot over 15 yards. But this was too good to pass up. I made a hasty decision to shoot with about 10 minutes left. The arrow appeared to shoot left and low. However, she had started to drop and turn. As the white  feathers were swallowed by the decreasing light all I could see was hair flying everywhere. My first thought was that I grazed her. With a little bit of light left I decided to try to find the arrow...which I didn't til this morning....but found hair all over the place. As I inspected the hair there was blood on it. I looked in the direction she had run, thinking that I would be following an non fatally hit deer for most of the night in knee deep water from the previous evening's rain. It looked like there was more blood a few feet away. I went back to my pack and gathered  my things and got out my little "Wensel" flashlight. Here is what I saw in the light.

Need to take a potty break...be back shortly.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 02:55:00 PM »
Potty break? You're killing me.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2011, 03:09:00 PM »

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2011, 03:28:00 PM »
My first thought was that I had perhaps hit her leg, grazed her chest but surely the hit was non fatal. The blood trail, however, was compelling so every few yards or so I marked the trail with toilet paper. I had gone about thirty yards and my flashlight showed me two glowing eyes. She lay in about six inches of water and what I thought was her running thru it was her thrashing her last in it. I was delighted but puzzled. Where did I hit her. I turned her over and saw this.

It was then I realized I had left my headlamp at home and didn't have my spare deer cart in the truck (we keep another one out on our 23 acres all season). I called Laura and told her the good news but that I would have to come home to get the cart we had there. It was a tough job dressing her out without the headlamp especially in the water. So I dragged her to the apple tree and did what I could until I got back with a headlamp and cart.

After getting the cart and finishing the field dressing I got home just as the in-laws drove up. Tomorrow I will get her registered and to the butcher but for now I simply have to say that this was one time that being lucky was better than being good. The lumenok on the arrow did not work so the flight of the arrow, in my mind, is not certain. By the looks of the fatal shot it looks to me that if she had simply stood where she was I would not have gotten her. But when I replayed the shot this morning at the stand sight and found the arrow it appeared that it would have been deadly, nevertheless. But, after all, it is Thanksgiving and to say that I am thankful for the outcome would be an understatement.

I still have two buck tags left one of which I must fill during firearms season and I still have my "special archery" tag which entitles me to an antlered second deer. Next week I plan on being more of a morning hunter at this stand as bucks, for whatever reason, seem to pass thru with good shooting light.

I was shooting my DAS recurve with Winex limbs set at 59#. The arrow was a Beman MFX 340 with 100 grain insert and a 150 grain Razorcap. On shots like this I am glad that I use multiblade heads...I think the bloodtrail speaks for itself.

By the way, I found a new tool to very useful that I had presumed to be a joke. It's called a Butt Out and it made removing the intestine and bladder easier than I have ever been able to do it with a knife and zip saw.

Since I was alone and the in-laws showed up when they did there are no hero pics...I'm not that photogenic anyway. I would also add that when I found the arrow this morning it had no blood on it...none whatsoever. If I had found the arrow before I inspected the hair I may have assumed a clean miss and a superficial wound. If there is a lesson in this incident it is to follow up  on any hit  on any animal no matter how minimal you think your shot  may have been. Blood on the ground, at least in this instance, told me more than blood on the arrow.

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2011, 06:08:00 PM »
Way to go Bill.   :thumbsup:
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2011, 06:13:00 PM »
Nice deer and story too!   :clapper:

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2011, 06:57:00 PM »
Congrats. :)
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2011, 07:00:00 PM »
Way to go sir!  Good story!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©