3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: D97 Observations  (Read 441 times)

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
D97 Observations
« on: July 15, 2007, 11:29:00 AM »
My Great Plains recurve needed a new string, which was a regular FF, so I decided to try D97. Ordered a custom 12 strand with the loops padded to 16 and Halo serving. The differences in the bow with the new string were pretty amazing. With the old string I was getting perfect arrow flight using 2018s with 145gr points. I noticed that these arrows were showing weak with the new string so I bareshafted again and now it takes a 2216 with 125gr points. The bow is noticibly faster (no chrono) quieter and the small vibration after the shot that was there with the old string is completely gone. Needless to say i'm very impressed and happy with the D97 so far. Just wanted to pass this along as I thought it was pretty interesting. Best regards!

Ken
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: D97 Observations
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 12:03:00 PM »
That is how I make my strings for my bows that can accept the new materials.I use 12 strands of D97 with the loops padded to 16 and Halo serving.I make the same strings for bows from 50# to 83#,12 strands of D97 is strong enough for up to a 100# bow.I could use less strands in my lighter bows but it is easier to do all the same for the same nock fit without having to add under the serving.D97 is my preferred string.

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 12:07:00 PM »
What is a Halo serving?
The Lord is my Shepherd

Online Bowsey Wails

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Timmy P
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 12:17:00 PM »
Trade name, as opposed to Crown or Diamondback, etc.

Tim
"I use no device to direct my arrow towards its mark, save my eyes and my will." Anthony Camera, aka Viper.
I'm not old school, I'm one room school house.

Online Bowsey Wails

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Timmy P
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 12:22:00 PM »
So, next questions. Is it worth switching string material if you need to buy new arrows to accomodate the switch? or is this the excuse needed to convince the better half that you need new arrows?

Tim
"I use no device to direct my arrow towards its mark, save my eyes and my will." Anthony Camera, aka Viper.
I'm not old school, I'm one room school house.

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 03:22:00 PM »
Well the old FF is not available anymore from what i've read so I didn't have much choice. I think most all of the new strings are made from the same material as D97 and mixtures therof so most will probably result in a spine increase over the older materials. I also have a Palmer that I ordered a TS+ string for and will probably experience the same thing with it but we'll see when I get the chance to shoot it some. It already shoots 2117s with 125gr points and if the increase is proportional to the Great Plains, I may have to go up to 2219s with it!
Ken "Spanky" Neal

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 03:46:00 PM »
I'm still confused about the "Halo" serving?  Is that the brand of serving material that is used?

I recently had some strings from a boyer get gaps in the servings.  I've never had this happen from LBR.  I was told I twisted the strings the wrong way.  However, on my LBR strings the serving seems to go in both directions and have a much tighter weave.  Any thoughts?
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 04:00:00 PM »
Halo is the brand name of a particular serving made by BCY - very durable stuff. The serving will loosen if you twist the string the wrong way but I have had it loosen while twisting the right way too. The tightness of the serving has a lot to do with it and there are a couple of string makers who have there own proprietary way of serving that is supposed to prevent it. I measure my strings and try to get them as close to proper length after the initial stretch that I don't have to add too many twists and that has helped a great deal. Regards, Ken
Ken "Spanky" Neal

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 04:06:00 PM »
Halo serving is made by a company called BCY.  "Halo" is the name of the product, other than say nylon serving.  It is the preferrd serving of many archers (oylmpic shooters use it).  Very strong and slick for a good release.  Gaps in the serving could be the serving was not served tight enough.  Also too much wax uner the serving can cause it to slipp.  Well made string are served in the same direction they are twisted up.

Longbows and Short Shots,
Jeff
Longbows & Short Shots

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2007, 04:24:00 PM »
Thanks Ken...Jeff.  I am learning a lot about strings today   :thumbsup:  .  Can you guys help me to understand the pro's and con's of padded loops and how they are made?
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2007, 09:54:00 PM »
You usually pad the loops to help protect the limb tips when using smaller diameter strings. It's done by adding extra strands into the loops only, and it also helps quiet the bow by giving a larger, softer contact area where the string meets the limb on a recurve. I had my 12 strand D97 padded to 16 and my 14 strand TS+ padded to 18 and so far I like them very much! Regards, Ken
Ken "Spanky" Neal

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2007, 10:47:00 PM »
How does one determine how many strands?  I shoot 50-53# recurves.
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2007, 11:24:00 PM »
My recurves are also 50 - 55lbs and the 12 strand D97 seems to be a really good combination of speed, quiet and no vibration after the shot. I've heard that at our weight we could go all the way down to 8 strands of D97 but the increase in bow noise might not make it worth wild for the extra speed. The fewer strands also means that the serving will have to be a larger diameter or have extra strands underneath to build it up for proper nock fit. If you use something other than D97 then you will have to base your strand count on the breaking strength of the string material you are using like for Dacron you might have to go with a 16 strand string to get the same strength as say a 10 strand D97 (not an exact but you get the idea). Before doing anything, make sure your bow is designed for FF and other low stretch strings so as not to damage it. If your not sure of what you need, talk to the string sponsors hear and they will guide you towards the best setup for your needs. Regards, Ken
Ken "Spanky" Neal

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©