3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Black Widow or Kwyk Styk....Your Pick??  (Read 838 times)

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
Black Widow or Kwyk Styk....Your Pick??
« on: November 25, 2011, 01:27:00 AM »
Hey all,

First off I have never shot either of these bows and only seen a couple of Widows.  As I nose through the forums I will occasionally run across pics of a Kwyk Styk.  I have all kinds of pics of Widows on my hard drive, but I still enjoy seeing them in threads when people get new ones.

These Kwyk Styks are really nice though.  Every comment I have ever read about them is great.

Since both of them have a similar style I thought I would ask which one you all prefer or like the most.  Does one out shoot the other?  If given the choice, which one would you take?

I know there are other bows that are of the same style and feel free to add those to the mix too.  Of course, include pix as everyone enjoys seeing pics of beautiful bows.

Which one for you?

Thanks

Nalajr

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Black Widow or Kwyk Styk....Your Pick??
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 06:45:00 AM »
Widow for me - I've bought and sold several and always wind up back at widow.  Here's a PCH in the stand waiting for some action.  It has diamondback skins that match nicely.
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 08:51:00 AM »
I have a BW PCHX 50@28 58" and a PTFX 50@28 60" and they are great bows. I think the PCH is very smooth because of the shorter riser and more longer working limbs. I have never shot a Kwyk Styk but I'm sure they are nice bows. I (like Nala) have bought and sold a lot of bows and after I bought the Widows I am done.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 09:06:00 AM »
Kwyk Styk, I have owned several of both and as far as performance and looks the KS is has it all over the Widows. Widows are average performers at best and they have a tendency to be loud(easy to quiet but still loud)they all look the same unless you get an exotic or ask for no phenolic, stuff like that. Don't get me wrong the Widow folks are great to deal with and make a fine product, but if you want a great performer and a smooth, quiet, easy shooter, go with the KS. Shawn
Shawn

Offline L82HUNT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 09:14:00 AM »
Average performers at best?   Really. Its strange bowreports has them within a few fps of the fastest bows made and that's  with a inch plus higher brace height.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »
You also may want to consider the new Kempf Raven. Accepts both longbow and recurve limbs, you can get Static limb tips, same as Kwyk Styk. I know TG'ers Sergio Venneri and Randy Jackson love the new Raven.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 09:44:00 AM »
Average yes, my KS"s were several fps. faster ith same arrows as were most of my other bows RER, Robertson, and my Borders flat out smoke a widow. Great bows as I said but average performers, like Schaffers and many other great bows that are average performers, nothing wrong with average and I have owned at least 15 Widows. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 09:52:00 AM »
You ask for opinions, so here goes.  I would get a black widow.  Never owned or shot a Kwyk Styk, can't comment on those.  Black Widow makes a terrific bow, built extremely well, and the company is great to deal with.  Also have no problem killin critters with my Black Widow.  However you can tell by my signature, I may be biased.    :bigsmyl:  

Scott
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Offline L82HUNT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 09:59:00 AM »
Fastest bow to date tested by Blacky
 Acs carbon extreme 200 fps with a 9 gpp arrow. The fastest

Average performer black widow. 195 fps with 9 gpp arrow.    

So between there you have your good performance bows?

Offline Flatshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 10:04:00 AM »
I've bought and sold tons of bows on this and other sites over the years, mainly to see what I liked and what shot best for me. Without question the Widows are one of the best I've ever shot. The are rugged and hard hitting bows, both recurves and longbows alike. I currently shoot a PSAX and I wouldn't let her go for the world. I've heard some guys complain about Widows as being noisy. Well, in my opinion they just haven't taken the time to tune them properly. At the last Twin Oaks shoot here in Tennessee a fellow archer next to me stopped shooting, came up to me and told me that my bow was the quietest bow he never heard. There are  several great bows out there and I definitely count the Widows among them!  

Offline Maxx Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 10:26:00 AM »
I think both of these bows are above average,as I like the forward riser. The limb construction is the key with the standard recurve limbs versus the static limbs. I started my traditional shooting with the Black widow MAll . Loaned to me by a friend,but I now own a Kwyk Styk and enjoy it Very much. I like my Kwyk Styk. Maxx
Kwyk Styk 58" 55x28
Cari-bow 62"54@28
Thunder child 56" 53@27
Bigfoot Sasquatch SS ILF 60"@55#@27"

Offline rjackson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 10:48:00 AM »
Ive shot Alot of BW and own a KWYK STYK. That being said Jacks new Raven with static limbs is something else could be the best hunting bow for me ive ever had. The Ravin is going to be a killing machine. Joe Skipp is my Hero for Telling me about Jack Kempf.

Randy

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 11:03:00 AM »
Widows are Widows; either you like them or you don't. I to have found them to be average performers but, that being said I have never shot one that I didn't shoot well. I would love to try a Kwik Stick at some point but every time I see one for sale it's to heavy for me or short, or both. Over the last year I have shot my friends PCH and every time I do I hit where I want.......maybe I should grab one at some point. I had a Jack Kempf older one piece recurve a while back and it was a shooter. You have to try either one and make up your own mind!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Trad-Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2011, 11:56:00 AM »
I get a kick out of hearing..."widows are average performers", or widows are loud followed up with any of the following:

But I never found one that didn't shoot well.

But their customer service is top shelf.

But the dozen or so I've shot all shot where I was looking.

But but..but...LOL...

If anybody here thinks 5 fps is going to make you a better archer then I've got a bridge with your name on it.

The best bow is the one you shoot well and have confidence in when you draw on a target.  The service and support are timely and dependable and they answer the phone and email.

Very few peeps have a good enough release to see the difference in 5 FPS.  And even if they could, what difference does it make if none of the above are taken into consideration.

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2011, 12:06:00 PM »
dont discount the wildcat from hill country bows, bowyer roman hershberger,  there is a thread on here titled "the one"  that has pictures of mine on it and I am sold on the bow.  It shoots where I look and is very fast.  The workmanship is second to none as well and you could not ask for a better guy to deal with.  I have not shot either the kwyk stik or a widow but love the forward riser design and I feel romans has the most grace and beauty of all those designs.  JMO

Offline Smithhammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2011, 12:10:00 PM »
I dream of owning a Quick Styk one day (and a Raven Styk...). Widows have never piqued my interest much, particularly when you look at the price tag and compare it to what else is out there. But, as with all of these types of threads, it's really about which one you shoot best.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2011, 12:26:00 PM »
When I threw in the But's on my post it was not to Bash a Black Widow. I just don't like a bow with a lot mass in the riser.......I had a SBS [short black stick] from Black Widow that I should have never sold, light in the hand and almost silent. I will agree the best bow is the one that pleases you and that you shoot well!!!!   :thumbsup:    :notworthy:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2011, 01:36:00 PM »
Amen!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Bryan pinick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2011, 01:37:00 PM »
I have had 5 Widows, and liked them all...

I would really like to try a KS though....I like the lack of noise, and efficiency of a good static tip bow.

Offline bfrbmj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2011, 01:59:00 PM »
Nala-  This is ez to figure out.  Buy the KS in the classifieds if it is within your specs.  The price seems good but do your homework to see if it is OK and what you would want.  They don't seem to come up for sale very often so I bet you could sell it fairly easy if you do not like it.  
I would also "try before you buy a widow", then you can compare them together to see which one you like best.  Then you can order a new widow, buy a used one here, keep or sell the KS.
BTW, I love my widow, but have never seen a KS.
Have fun, Brian
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©