3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Black Widow or Kwyk Styk....Your Pick??  (Read 840 times)

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Black Widow or Kwyk Styk....Your Pick??
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2011, 04:21:00 PM »
Randy; It's Joe's fault that i shoot jack's Bows also! LOL.

Offline Flt Rck Shtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2011, 05:02:00 PM »
I've owned 9 Widows and currently a PCHV. They are shootin machines. I'M trying to buy a Kwik Styk right now if the feller would reply and tell me if its available
Chinese Proverb: Never remove a fly from a friends forehead with a hatchet...

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2011, 05:11:00 PM »
Never had the chance to shoot a kwik stick.  I shoot habu bows...but if I were not shooting them...I'd be shooting widows.  I just like that style of bow.

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2011, 05:13:00 PM »
Widows are sometimes wrongly called too expensive, too loud, too ugly, and so forth, but AVERAGE speed? As far as expensive, there are a few others that cost as much or more. Loud? Yes some of the older designs took some experimenting to silence but the newer limbs are as quiet as any. As far as ugly, we all know beauty in in the eye of the beholder.

Some of us are never satisfied and are always buying/trading bows(like me)   :) , looking for something better. Widows are known to hold their resale value better than most so that helps a lot when you get ready to get rid of it.   ;)
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2011, 07:09:00 PM »
Bill is right about the re-sale of a Widow. Price...he's right about that also. I can think of about 6 well known bows that are very desirable and all of them a more than a Black Widow.....and the wait is a lot longer, some are well over a year. Not sure what the wait is on a Kempf. Jack don't give his bows away either...LOL!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2011, 07:16:00 PM »
I have two Widows - they are not going anywhere.

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2011, 07:57:00 PM »
Both are just so beautiful.  I see a widow and want it.  Then I see a KS and I want it.

I guess the solution is to make more money to support my bow addiction.

Nalajr

Offline MercilessMing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2011, 08:24:00 PM »
Heard a lot of good things of both.  Managed to get a KS.  Liked it a lot, placed order and waited in line for a year.  Jack is currently making a Raven for me with both recurve and longbow limbs, follow by a KS next month.

My thought is I precious works done by the individual bowyers, especially for those hard to come by.  BW are frequent shown on the classified but not the Kempf bows.  You can always come to Blackwidow later.

Offline rjackson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2011, 08:50:00 PM »
Sergio, Yep Joe has a way doing that. Problem now is if Jack comes up with longbow limbs for the KWYK STYK.

Randy

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2011, 09:14:00 PM »
I've owned... well I can't even really remember how many Widow Recurves...  Don't personally care for the Widow Longbows.

Really like their T/D recurves, especially the SA/PSA version.  They are super easy to shoot, very forgiving, take a bit to get quiet but doable.  Not the fastest bow out there, but plenty quick enough.  Heck their track record speaks for itself.  

But, since I picked up my first Kwyk Styk I was sold.  Best recurve I've ever shot.  Fit me very well, quick, quiet, and have very similar manners to the Widow with the forward handle design.  Now I have two and they are not going anywhere.

In the end, I don't think you can go wrong with either.  I like the response above, try a used one of each.  They resell quickly if they are not what you are looking for, and it is cheaper to get into a used one rather then dropping the dime on a new one of either.
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2011, 09:48:00 PM »
You asked for a comparison from those who have had both... I have had both, and can incude a Habu Death Adder into the equation also.

Having owned 7 widows in the past including 4 with reverse mounted limbs, they were great shooters, stable, hit where I was looking.  However, I could never be happy with the "Mass" and physical weight of the risers and found the performance less than anticipated..

I then went to a Habu "Death Adder", a 3 pc. with reverse mounted  L/B limbs... It was an older, and now out of production bow.. It was light in weight [ way lighter than the widows] about the same performance wise, and with the skins it was wearing, I felt much prettier.  

Eventually a 60" 58# Kwyk Styk with standard recurve limbs came available as a trade option for the Habu.   :readit:      :thumbsup:  

Not to mention, I was extremely happy to pay the price, as I had been waiting for that particular bow to become available to me for some time.    ;)  

Bottom line.... all of those Widow's live at new addresses and have for some time... The Kwyk Styks have a permanent zip code of 98629 and don't plan on moving soon.    :biglaugh:  

The only thing which would change that would be if I start having additional health issues.   :(  

Gene
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2011, 10:36:00 PM »
I just got a PSA V a few weeks ago, and I like it a lot! It seems quiet, dead in the hand, and shoot where I want! plus I always wanted one, I just like the look!

As for Jack's bows, I tryed puting my name on the list and contacted him a few time, talked to him once, and never herd of him after... so i don't think i'm on is waithing list, since it's been well over a year now... Maybe it didn't clic in between us!

i'm sure they are great bows!

As for the speed, I never put my bows true speed test... i think it's useless!! From all what I read about bows being tested, it falls all whitin a few fps, any where between 185 and 195, with the exceptions at 200...

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2011, 11:44:00 PM »
Randy; jack is working on a KS longbow limb. I can hardly wait!

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2011, 12:58:00 AM »
I have owned both. I had one of the nicest Widows PSAX on the planet. Felt Great and Shot even better. It was the envy of all the other Widow guys. I had many offers to buy it from me.

I got a Kwyk Styk................and then sold the Widow. Never looked back.

Kwyk Styk, by far, and I mean by far, is a better bow. Now, that is saying a lot because my Widow was Awesome.

My 2 cents.

Matt
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Offline Festivus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2011, 03:25:00 AM »
That is an interesting point about the KS. All you ever see show up are the super short ones or the super heavy ones. You never see a "normal" one pop up.

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2011, 08:15:00 AM »
If we have a bow we like better than any other, we should be able to talk about how great a bow it is without saying derogatory things about other bows. People that own those other bows want to defend them and these threads usually end up deleted which does nobody any good.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2011, 08:24:00 AM »
Just curious - in which ways are the Kwyk Styks better?  So far I've read that Widows are "dead in the hand, great customer service, hit where you look, loud but can be quieted, quick, stable, great resale if you need to sell it" so what does the kwyk styk do differently?  This isn't a defense of widow either, just wondering what the measures for people are.  It seems like widows never win out in a comparison post...people say a bunch of good thing about them, and then say there are far better bows available.
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2011, 09:25:00 AM »
I've shot both of them and decided to go with another jack Kempf bow.   Good luck in your decision.  

Shawn

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2011, 11:01:00 AM »
I have 2 Widow recurves that I really like but would like to try a KS sometime.Only 2 I've ever been around were 'GURUS' lefties.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2011, 11:12:00 AM »
You can debate both these fine bows or any bows for that matter. The personal choice or decision comes down to Money and Time.

If your not willing to wait those 12 months for a Kempf bow then BW should be your choice. Dressing up any bow with fancy woods etc adds to the costs. An advantage BW has, you can test drive one of their bows. You have to rely on the word of Kempf owners to make a decision.

Honestly, flip a coin, either bow will serve you well on all your hunts.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©