3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why do we do it?  (Read 729 times)

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why do we do it?
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2011, 05:10:00 PM »
For me hunting with the stickbow is all about the challenge.
The best things in life....aren't things!

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2011, 05:12:00 PM »
I hunt with trad equipment BECAUSE it is hard!!!! I know I have accomplished somethng a lot of folks will never do every time I walk up to an animal I shot with my trad bow.

Bisch

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2011, 06:16:00 PM »
I like it!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2011, 07:15:00 PM »
Cyclic-Rivers said it........I still hunt with other stuff,but most of the time I carry another weapon I'm thinking about ground blind spots, shot opportunities with the bow and how I hunt the spot with a bow. The first time I took a recurve into the woods in 1968 it felt right, it felt right then and still feels right now! I also think it makes you a better hunter overall!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2011, 07:16:00 PM »
I will also add I still haven't taken a deer or big game animal with my bow!!!   :dunno:    :confused:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Shortlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2011, 07:54:00 PM »
For me it's more about the hunting than the killing. Getting stickbow close, on the ground and getting an arrow on it's way is very challenging. Sometimes a close encounter doesn't produce a shot opportunity but it's rewarding just the same. Maybe it's some kind of primal connection.  Hard to explain. Heard someone say "if I have to explain it you wouldn't understand".
Ask me about the Professional Bowhunters Society.
Bobby Parrott

Offline ARflatbower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2011, 08:04:00 PM »
Key word is "hunting"...I love nothing more than the missed opportunities over 10 yards of distance. Back in the 80's on my way home from a Muskie fishing trip in Wisconsin i stopped at a bar for a quick beer....turned out it was Art LaHa's Bar/Lodge...and he was there! His stories were inspiring...I was committed to Traditional Bows from then on.
Mahaska Flatbow L/H 50@28
Quillian AT Longhunter L/H 66@28

Offline LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2011, 08:16:00 PM »
Because it is pure
because it is the truth of archery with no B.S.
because of the spiritual link back into time....back into history.
Because the legends did it this way....great hunters,  great men.   :thumbsup:

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2011, 08:59:00 PM »
Because it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on lol. With stick bow in hand and friends and family, it don't get any better.

Offline flippnsticks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2011, 09:17:00 PM »
well put Pat B.  :clapper:

Offline Austin Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2011, 09:42:00 PM »
It's just plain more fun to me, I love trying to pick the best tree or hiding spot on the property to get close.  Also just plain love flinging arrows with stickbows.  There's been plenty of days I've cut the hunt short just to get down and stump shoot.
Joshua 24:15
As for me and my house,we will serve the Lord.

Offline MI-Tradbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2011, 10:50:00 PM »
I started hunting in 1989 with a Bear Compound and moved up to a Hoyt compound a few years later.  With my Hoyt, I can take the bow down and hit anything I aim at out to about 35 yards with little problem.  It's literally point and shoot.  Problem is, there are a lot of things to go wrong between the rest, knock set, sight, overdraw, etc.  Not to mention it weighs a ton compared to my recurve.  The recurve feels good in my hand (wood riser vs. aluminum) and presents a little more challange.  I love shooting the recurve.

Offline Eric Sprick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2011, 12:40:00 AM »
Just the pure simplicity of it all, the whole "stick n string" thing.  The fact that I have to rely almost totally on my physical and mental ability to direct the arrow to its target.

Plus its just a hell of alot more fun!

Eric

Offline Knotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2011, 11:24:00 PM »
My dad rides me for the same thing!  My hunting crew are all dyed in the wool powder burners and I'm the only trad guy I know.  

My reasons are as follows:

There's more to hunting than a 300 yard pot shot. or even a 50 yard one at that.
The rush of getting close.  
The sound and sight of a feathered shaft in flight.
Mastering a simple skill - master of self and not of technology.
Because it's fun.
56" TD Checkmate Hunter, #55@28
66" Checkmate Crusader, #60@28
60" Meland Pronghorn LB, 65@28

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2011, 02:19:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bisch:
I hunt with trad equipment BECAUSE it is hard!!!! I know I have accomplished somethng a lot of folks will never do every time I walk up to an animal I shot with my trad bow.

Bisch
Ditto. Still love my varmit rifles but what I can do at 400-500 yards some times farther out with no problem ,with the stick and string is way more ? its just way more.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2011, 03:14:00 AM »
In a world where I can pick up a pound of burger for 2 bucks and a box of hamburger helper for a dollar at the local grocery store. I have decided that it is not neccessary for me to kill a deer to survive. this makes it very important to me how I go about doing it.

Offline redpepper49

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2011, 07:22:00 AM »
I like getting ready for the hunt ,making bows ,arrows ,quivers and other things. I like the scouting to find the just right spot and having the animal standing just where you wanted it.  It is somthing that can that you can be involved in year round. Practice is so much fun . Trad gang is so much fun.

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2011, 09:48:00 AM »
"Why do you do it?"

Because I can, Thank you to all those that protect those rights for me!!!

Steve

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2011, 01:21:00 PM »
Because I have conciously decided to acknowledge that which resides deep within the human pyche, the desire to hunt primitively and to eat wild meat and not to repress it as most of my fellow countrymen have chosen to do. It is there in every one of us that lives!
Member NCBA

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2011, 07:45:00 PM »
I started with a recurve then got into the high speed game in my early 20's... then came back..

I still gun hunt too... but as for the stick and string its my LB or recurve... Its just so much fun...  :archer:
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©