3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Another Climbing Tree Stand Thread!  (Read 328 times)

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
Another Climbing Tree Stand Thread!
« on: November 25, 2011, 05:25:00 PM »
:wavey:  Ok Folks I know, I know another climbing tree stand thread.   :biglaugh:

Offline fivebears

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Another Climbing Tree Stand Thread!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 06:02:00 PM »
The seat on the Open Shot is very comfortable,it's the platform I don't like because of its size.4",length wise,makes a big difference when you're 20' in the air.
   The cams that lock the bands on the Lone Wolf can be a pain to open,on the climber that is.It's rock solid when you set it up though.
   Hopes this helps a little.Ken

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 06:10:00 PM »
Well I'll be the first to step in it. Based on just getting rid of an open shot and buying a second LW hand climber combo this is my opinion from using both. With all summit climbers your adjustment is very limited. Your adjustment is limited to the swaged stops on the cable. If the tree you want to set up in is under 12" at the base the climbing aid or base for that matter will pointing down hill by the time you get to any height.

The LW hand climber will adjust to smaller and larger trees and adjusts much easier if you need to change it as you climb. The LW hand climber also does not have arms on the side of the seat and will fold completely out of the way. You are stuck with the arms on the summit.  

You can also get closer to the tree with the LW either in the down or folded position, plus the LW folds flat for packing. The LW has better bite on the tree. I rode the summit down a Beech tree this year, that hasn't happened since I got rid of my Baker eons ago. The wolf bites anything. The extra money for the LW is just plain worth it but that is just MHO.

Offline Lunar-Tic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 06:34:00 PM »
While using my Summit climber I bring along an API lock on seat. After climbing I turn the climbing aid to the back of the tree and pull up the API seat. It makes for a lot of extra work and additional weight to carry in but makes the stand very comfortable and  a lot more effective with nothing in my way.

Offline Widow's Son

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 07:47:00 PM »
I like the looks of the Summitt Open Shot but I'll stick with my old API climber. It's very similar to the Open Shot but it has a bike chain around the back instead of a cable. With a simple lock pin the adjustments are infinite. It's served me well for years.
1969 Bear Super Kodiak 45#
1966 Bear Kodiak 52#
2000 Black Widow MAII
46# at 28"
Roy Hall Navajo Stick, 64" Caddo 55#@28"

Offline BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 11:37:00 AM »
Tom, after combining the loggy base and the  Lone Wolf hand climber top there is no doubt I'm getting the Lone Wolf base.I'm saving my pennies and keeping a eye on the classifieds. One day come over and try it.

Offline jax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 03:35:00 PM »
The lone wolf stap on the base gets stuck on the back of the tree

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 11:02:00 PM »
Im going to keep my eye on this thread too.I been thinking about a climber.Kinda looking  at the open shot.

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 11:52:00 PM »
I purchased a lonewolf climber and it's going back to cabelas (found an old loggy ) climbs but sits like a hang-on.
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 07:33:00 AM »
:confused:

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 07:43:00 AM »
Sold my Lone Wolf. Have 2 Summit Vipers. Safe to climb and rock solid. Replaced the foam seat on one with a net seat and really comfy and gives more room. I have no problems with a 64" longbow. The Summit will also climb bigger trees than the Lone Wolf.

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 08:26:00 AM »
I've had the strap on my lonewolf to hang on the tree bark too. Everytime it happened was when I first got into the stand to climb. I had the angle set too steep on the base portion of the stand and my weight got it jamed on the tree. I found out if I adjust the angle properly, I don't have a problem with the strap hanging on the bark. It only happened with me on the very first lifting of the stand. I've never had a hang up further up the tree.
N/A

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 08:40:00 AM »
The lone wolf wide seat will not climb as big a tree as my API and with the seat sticking out(unable to fold flat to the tree)I could not shoot a deer to the side/rear without hitting my limb. I also had the belt get hung up on ruff bark and it made more noise than my API or  summit climbers. I did like the weight and fold flat to carry BUT it's in the tree that matters.  Prehaps the reg lone wolf would be better BUT I need a sit down climber. The loggys (I had one way back before lone wolf was in around)Climbs but you have a seat like a hang on or the older open shot so no seat in the way issues  :archer2:
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 08:42:00 AM »
I have used both Lone Wolf climbers I borrowed from friends to try out and did not like them. I bought a Summit Open Shot climbing stand and find it light, safe, secure, and the seat the most comfortable. I like to stand as much as possible and like the way the seat raises out of the way. The only negative thing I would say is the seat could be wilder for climbing (safety harness catches on sides)purposes. (I am 6' 220#)

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 09:02:00 AM »
Jim, where did you get a mesh seat to install in the viper.  I have one and that sounds like a great idea.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline toppredator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 09:27:00 AM »
I agree with Widow's son.  I have an API that's very similar to the open shot, and I love it.  I also have a Lone Wolf hand climber.  They're both great stands.  The API is just more comfortable.  TRW

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2011, 09:51:00 AM »
I got the net seat here.

http://www.hazmore.net/  

They also make em for Lone Wolf.

I cut the seat portion off of the back on the summit seat and attach it to the tree for a back rest. It works and is comfortable.

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2011, 10:10:00 AM »
I have both the LW and the BushMaster. I prefer the Summit. The LW hand climber is too narrow for me to rest my forearms on while climbing. For me, the Bushmaster is easier to climb with and "much" more comfortable.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2011, 11:40:00 AM »
heydeerman, thanks for the tip, just ordered a net seat for my Summit to try.....
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline deertraks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2011, 04:17:00 PM »
I have shoulder and neck problems. So I have to use a climber that I can use sit and clime method. The Summit Razor fits the bill for me. I can use the bar to climb with and then move it out of the way. Very comfortable and safe stand.
Dave
Phil. 2:6-11

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©