3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: mountain lion face off  (Read 436 times)

Offline troutremble

• Trad Bowhunter
mountain lion face off
« on: November 25, 2011, 08:10:00 PM »
While I had a wonderful time elk hunting this year and saw close to a hundred animals, I never got off a shot at an elk. Thats the way it goes sometimes I guess. I did however have an exciting moment or two. Chief among these was an intimate encounter with a very large cat. I had got to the top of the mountain where I hunt to discover four satellite bulls bedded down in the meadow. My hunting partner and I tried to call but these bulls showed little interest, frusterating! Right after they walked off in disdain for our cow calling abilities we got an answer from a herd bull a couple hundred yards back in the trees. When after a bit it became apparent that this bull wasnt leaving his cows I decided I would go in after him. I had the wind in my favor and closed the distance to about 60 yards and set up to cow call again. This set the herd bull into another frenzy of bugling and raking trees but he wasnt coming closer. I threw out another of couple of my best cow calls only to have the bull and his herd take off in a complete panic. I couldnt figure out why. I had the wind, was completely screened by some deadfall, what the hell? I bent over to grab some water out of my pack then stood up just in time to interupt the cougar who was coming into my calls. I then realized why the elk had taken off. The cat had been between myself and the herd hunting them as well. It had apparently decided that cow off by itself would be easier to stalk than the herd. I believe when it turned to come my direction it was seen by the elk and they took off. When it realized I had seen it as well it stopped at 10 yards, sat down and stared at me for what seemed to be an hour (more like 30 seconds real time).  I could count its whiskers it was so close! It then gave me a look of pure disgust and turned and walked off in the direction the herd of elk went. I was quite proud of myself for having the presence of mind to nock an arrow and face him. I think thats what caused him to stop. I was somewhat irritated with myself at the time because I wasnt as prepared as I could have been. I remember thinking "I only have one shot if he doesnt stop, not even a knife cuz its in the backpack, and damn, so is my camera!"

Offline Igor

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: mountain lion face off
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 08:16:00 PM »
Thanks - for sharing - great story!

><>

Glenn
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding In all your ways submit to him and he will direct your paths

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 08:32:00 PM »
"did you have to change your drawers back at camp" ?    :eek:    :biglaugh:
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Offline HARL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »
That would sure be a rush !!!
62"63@28 Zipper Nitro
62"60@28 Zipper Nitro
A Doz. Hill Longbows

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 09:21:00 PM »
You'll be better prepared next time I should think. I give you give credit for hunting in locations with Mountain Lions. Has to be the nastiest beastie in North America. Nothing even close to that in my area. Scariest thing might be coming across a family of racoons while getting in position before sun up.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Dogboy900

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 09:33:00 PM »
Wow great encounter! Cool but scary!
I bet that cats face is engraved in your memory now!

Offline Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 10:28:00 PM »
A neat encounter with good results.  I think you will remember the mountain lions look for a long time.

I had a similar encounter in 1994, but with different results. I will never forget the the quizzical look on the mountain lions face and how its eyes  and demeanor changed when he decided I'd be a nice dinner.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 10:52:00 PM »
Good for you! Thank you for sharing! big cats are slowly moving in the territory folowing the Mule dear and whitetails. But never seen one yet! Seen a lot of bear(black and grizz) over the years up here and some of them real close...

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 11:17:00 PM »
Cool story!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline danderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 12:21:00 AM »
pretty sure that'd be a dead kitty if i were you! That experience you had is easily a highlight in anyones career!
BW SAX Kingwood 54#

1967 Bear Super Kodiak 50#

Offline rdoggsilva

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 12:33:00 AM »
total awesome story.

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 12:37:00 AM »
Just glad he walked away,to close for comfort.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline troutremble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2011, 01:52:00 AM »
It was cool, I had always wanted to see one. Ran across scat and tracks fairly often. It was a little closer than I liked though. And yes I will remember that look!

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2011, 02:50:00 AM »
Glad that one turned out well for you.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2011, 09:11:00 AM »
Wow, 10 yards! Very exciting story Will! I'd have a skid mark permanent reminder.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2011, 09:15:00 AM »
Glad you are OK. Could have been much worse. I was charged by a 515lb black bear & I'd take on the bear any day over a cat like that.

Offline blazelefty7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2011, 09:44:00 AM »
Not sure I could have kept that arrow from flying his direction...10 yds is EXTREMELY close on the ground. You definitely have a pair...thats an awesome encounter.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2011, 09:47:00 AM »
I carry a 45 for just such reasons that cat would have looked like swiss cheese.And their would be skid marks in my underpants.Glad your ok.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline troutremble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2011, 11:19:00 AM »
I now wonder how many cats I have been close to and not seen. He never made a sound, I just got lucky and looked in the right direction.

Offline bowtough

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2011, 11:23:00 AM »
Thats cool!The only time I see a cat is my wifes around the house! Thanks for sharing.  :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©