3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bow size, draw recommendations for kid  (Read 170 times)

Offline homerdave

• Trad Bowhunter
bow size, draw recommendations for kid
« on: November 25, 2011, 08:33:00 PM »
my son is about 4'9", just under #100, and 11 years old.
i want to get hium a new bow for Christmas, and am not sure what i ought to be getting. he needs a hunting bow for bunnies and grouse, and i would like him to be able to grow into it if need be...
what poundage do you think would be a good start? his current bow is a 48" #22 "lil scout" recurve, and he has outgrown it. the boy is strong... we live off the road system and he hikes, skiis splits wood and hauls water...
tell me how close you got, not how far you shot

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bow size, draw recommendations for kid
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 08:11:00 AM »
My boy is turning 13 today! About 2 summers ago I bought him a bear kodiak mag. Its 52" long and 40# at 28" he pulls about 24" or 25". Never tryed to figure out the weight he's pulling but he does just fine with it. He's been shooting sence he was 6, so he adapted perty good. The bow was in excellant shape and we only gave 175 for it.

Hope this helps,  Jason

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 09:48:00 AM »
My kids have been using 35#@28" recurves for a few years now and that is an ideal weight for them. Of course none of them draw anywhere close to 28" so their bows are very comfortable for them to shoot at their draw lengths.
They are now 17, 14, and 12 years of age now and still using them. I like 56" to 58" bows for them when they're young. I got their bows all used from the big auction site for $125.00 and less. They are Browning, Darton, and Proline recurves and in very good condition.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Chuck Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 09:51:00 AM »
He should be able to go right to a 35#@28" bow if he is currently shooting 22#@24".

Here is a draw chart for our longbows that may help decide the right weight bow for him.
 http://www.bows.net/howtomeasure.htm

Chuck Jones

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 03:13:00 PM »
What he he drawing as far as inches. You say he is strong. I have to agree on something that is 40#s or so at 28"s.  If he draws 24"s he will be around 28#s only and a strong kid that is not too hard to handle. I would also look for something longer than than 52"s as a longer bow will be smoother and not as critical of a perfect release. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 07:49:00 PM »
There are 2 Samicks on the bow classifieds that are great deals and they fit the bill for ya! They are great shooters and perform really well! Shawn
Shawn

Offline homerdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 09:40:00 PM »
RATS!!!
was too late for that #40 samick, but i think i know what i'm looking for now, gonna poke around the classifieds, but the black rhino #40 looks food as well. partial to a T/D  though for ease of packing...
tell me how close you got, not how far you shot

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©