3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cliff Zwickey Broadhead  (Read 545 times)

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cliff Zwickey Broadhead
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2011, 12:59:00 PM »
From what I see in the Texas regs., Texas has dropped any mention of barbed broadheads in the hunting regulations.  So, if not specifically prohibited - they look to be legal in Texas.  If someone knows different I'd like to hear it?  How do they pull from a broadhead target - might be a one way trip.

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2011, 03:04:00 PM »
What Tim said. Went thru the Mo. regs. We have our regs. written so that unless it expressly states that it is illegal, it's legal. No mention of barbed heads. minimum width or minimum draw weight. So, they're legal here.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline Phil Tuccillo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2011, 03:25:00 PM »
Uncle Buck, Like you said that info. did not come from state sources. Everyone who is interested in hunting w/ these heads needs to check there states regs. on broadhead requirements. They are legal in MT. according to the regs. and as told by our local game warden, so be sure not to go by that googled source.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2011, 05:49:00 PM »
I agree its better to be sure than sorry

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2011, 06:42:00 PM »
Owlbait, what do you base that on? I've been searching everywhere on the DNR web site and the only thing I've found so far was a point size requirement (I think 7/8") for crossbows. Were you able to find something specific for MI bow hunting? I can't even find a minimum bow weight and surely there must be one.

Ron
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2011, 06:50:00 PM »
Ron, I was going on what I believe the rules used to be. I'm sure I read it somewhere, but I've been doing this for almost 40 years here in Michigan so I may have lost my "exactness" on my memory. If it did change, I'm not sure when, but I'm sure the mech broadhead manufacturers probably had a hand it it. All I could find on my newest searches was the 7/8" minimum also.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2011, 07:05:00 PM »
Barbed broadheads are illegal in N.C.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2011, 07:21:00 PM »
my $.02 is do not like the idea of barbed broadheads. If I make a non-fatal hit the arrow will fall out and the animal has a chance.  With a  barbed head that arrow will not fall out and that animal will die..sometime next week.
Just my thoughts.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
Joe, that was exactly what the reasoning was behind banning the barbed head, at least from what I remember. It isn't in there doing extra damage, it is just in there, and making it harder for the animal to recover from a non-lethal hit.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »
From "Hunting the Hard Way" by Howard Hill...

"If the barbed-head type of broadhead is used and it is shot completely throught the prey, there are ten chances to one that the protruding head will hang on some limb or brush in a short time and will pull the shaft out, so that if the game has not been hit in a vital spot, there will be left a clean wound which will heal quickly. For this one reason I use only barbed broadheads.
I have never seen a broadhead arrow come back out the way it went in unless someone pulled it out, no matter what type of shoulder the head had; yet during my twenty-five years of hunting, I have had at least thirty arrows pulled out by having the barbed head hang on limbs, weeds, tall grass, and so on."

In the fifties there was a distinct disrespect for the power and efficiency of the bow and arrow. The myth of the "pincushion deer" flourished during this time and it seems that game commissions succumbed to public sentiment... for the most part I believe they harbored the same sentiments.
The barbed broadhead was seen as cruel and inhumane and to a great extent that mind set persists to this day.
My experience with barbed heads echoes that of Howard Hill.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline BMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2011, 09:41:00 PM »
I appreciate hearing that info Charlie.  

thanks,
Brian

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2011, 09:54:00 PM »
Interesting info Charlie. I've seen non-barbed arrows back-out ,if you will, and drop from a deer. Even seen a pass thru pull out on a non-barbed too. I would guess the head shape itself lends itself to catching on to brush, weeds, etc and pulling the rest of the way thru. You and Howard have a ton more experience than I do, and I can see where public opinion may have swayed actaul field results. I'd like to see Myth Busters do a show on this one! Which barbed heads have you used? Those Zwickeys look deadly for sure.

Offline L. Harris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »
I am from Texas and was wondering on the legality of the head and was told by a gamewarden that the current regulations now allow the use of this type of broadhead. They once were illegal hear, but no longer.
Traditional Bowhunting: Cunning and stealth, not gadgets and gizmos!

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2011, 10:46:00 PM »
Charlie, you are a wealth of information! I was going to ask a question on barbed heads and you covered it and more.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2011, 08:01:00 AM »
I've used the "new design" Howard Hill broadheads that I modified to make them barbed and also heads that I made myself. (Hill's first offering of commercially produced heads were barbed)
My latest barbed heads were made for me by Doug Campbell and replicate the head design favored by Saxton Pope.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2011, 09:53:00 AM »
Here's a pic of the Pope broadhead template.

A couple other advantages of this style is that surface area is reduced which helps remove extra weight and also makes the broadhead more aerodynamic, reducing chance of windplaning.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Gerardo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2012, 03:35:00 AM »
Excellent info on this broadheads , they sure will look nice on some wood arrows with natural turkey feathers
Gerardo Rodriguez

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2012, 05:47:00 AM »
I just got 6 my self. they flew great for me.cant wait to take a deer with one.

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2012, 09:54:00 AM »
Well if Charlie says they're legal I guess I oughtta give 'em a try.  :thumbsup:

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2012, 12:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
From "Hunting the Hard Way" by Howard Hill...

"If the barbed-head type of broadhead is used and it is shot completely throught the prey, there are ten chances to one that the protruding head will hang on some limb or brush in a short time and will pull the shaft out, so that if the game has not been hit in a vital spot, there will be left a clean wound which will heal quickly. For this one reason I use only barbed broadheads.
I have never seen a broadhead arrow come back out the way it went in unless someone pulled it out, no matter what type of shoulder the head had; yet during my twenty-five years of hunting, I have had at least thirty arrows pulled out by having the barbed head hang on limbs, weeds, tall grass, and so on."

In the fifties there was a distinct disrespect for the power and efficiency of the bow and arrow. The myth of the "pincushion deer" flourished during this time and it seems that game commissions succumbed to public sentiment... for the most part I believe they harbored the same sentiments.
The barbed broadhead was seen as cruel and inhumane and to a great extent that mind set persists to this day.
My experience with barbed heads echoes that of Howard Hill.
I learned much I did not know from your post. Thank you!
Having done so much, with so little, for so long, I can now do anything with nothing.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©