3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: mountain lion face off  (Read 162 times)

Offline troutremble

• Trad Bowhunter
mountain lion face off
« on: November 25, 2011, 06:38:00 PM »
While I had a wonderful time elk hunting this year and saw close to a hundred animals, I never got off a shot at an elk. Thats the way it goes sometimes I guess. I did however have an exciting moment or two. Chief among these was an intimate encounter with a very large cat. I had got to the top of the mountain where I hunt to discover four satellite bulls bedded down in the meadow. My hunting partner and I tried to call but these bulls showed little interest, frusterating! Right after they walked off in disdain for our cow calling abilities we got an answer from a herd bull a couple hundred yards back in the trees. When after a bit it became apparent that this bull wasnt leaving his cows I decided I would go in after him. I had the wind in my favor and closed the distance to about 60 yards and set up to cow call again. This set the herd bull into another frenzy of bugling and raking trees but he wasnt coming closer. I threw out another of couple of my best cow calls only to have the bull and his herd take off in a complete panic. I couldnt figure out why. I had the wind, was completely screened by some deadfall, what the hell? I bent over to grab some water out of my pack then stood up just in time to interupt the cougar who was coming into my calls. I then realized why the elk had taken off. The cat had been between myself and the herd hunting them as well. It had apparently decided that cow off by itself would be easier to stalk than the herd. I believe when it turned to come my direction it was seen by the elk and they took off. When it realized I had seen it as well,it stoppedat 10 yards away, sat down and stared at me for what seemed to be an hour (more like 30 seconds real time).  I could count his whiskers he was so close! It then gave me a look of pure disgust and turned and walked off in the direction the herd of elk went. I was quite proud of myself for having the presence of mind to nock an arrow and face him. I think thats what caused him to stop. I was somewhat irritated with myself at the time because I wasnt as prepared as I could have been. I remember thinking "I only have one shot if he doesnt stop, not even a knife cuz its in the backpack, and damn, so is my camera!"

Re: mountain lion face off
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 06:42:00 PM »
Cool atory! It is just as well he did not keep coming at you. Could you imagine trying to explain the cat scratches to your wife?   :eek:    :eek:    :eek:  

Bisch

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 06:55:00 PM »
Cool story! Will your knife be in your pack, or at hand next time round?
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 07:03:00 PM »
Note to self, "Always have a lion tag in pocket"

Very funny Bisch!  :laughing:
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline swifty99

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 07:14:00 PM »
Great story

Offline Dogboy900

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »
That would be a very cool, if somewhat scary encounter!
I bet that cats face is engraved on your memory now!

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 07:57:00 PM »
What were you gonna do with the knife?  Let the cat pick what was left of you out of his teeth with it when he got done?     :D
Silence is golden.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »
Awesome, I think I might have had to change my pants after that.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »
Somehow this got moved by mistake....

:campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 03:41:00 PM »
I think with the camera at least you could leave evidence at the scene of the crime! I think those big cats are WAY scarier than anything out there, and realistically, if they want you your toast! What a great encounter for you. Definetely a hash mark maker! Might be a good time to make sure your wearing Depends in the mountains.  :eek:    :scared:
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 05:13:00 PM »
Great story:::I think my knees would have been a bit wobbly   :archer:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©