3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: There I was...on a hemlock ridge.....w/ pics(video added)  (Read 916 times)

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
There I was...on a hemlock ridge.....w/ pics(video added)
« on: November 26, 2011, 06:46:00 PM »

Every good story begins with one of these! I got into my stand before dark and before I was situated, a deer spooked not to far from me. Don't know if it smelled me or what, but it definately took off. So I sat and waited.......
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: There I was...on a hemlock ridge.....w/ pics(video added)
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 06:49:00 PM »
:coffee:
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 06:52:00 PM »
:campfire:     :archer:
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Schafer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 06:57:00 PM »
I remember that  :bigsmyl:    :thumbsup:  

Schafer
“There’s more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” - Fred Bear

53@29 Randy Morin Banshee
66@29 Schafer Silvertip

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 07:01:00 PM »
.....I have a small video camera that I carry with me, so I attached it to one of the branches above me so I could video a warm up shot that I was going to take. I zoomed in to find the spot I needed to hit and then zoomed back out to get an over the shoulder shot. I took my shot and it hit within a few inches of where I was shooting. It was about 8:20 am at this point.....
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 07:10:00 PM »
....I heard something walking up to the side of me headed to the hemlock ridge. I caught sight of a deer with its nose to the ground. I didn't see any horns so I figured it was a spikehorn because of the way it had its nose to the ground. I saw it angle up to go up the ridge and thats when I reached for my grunt tube. I grabbed it and........

- Doug Lawson.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 07:12:00 PM »
Don't ya mean before light? Shawn
Shawn

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »
Out with it Greg!

:bigsmyl:

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »
Yes I do Shawn. Good catch. I'm a little tired/brain dead right now. This typing stuff is killing me! Back to the story.

.....gave a few sexy doe grunts on my grunt tube. Another deer came out of the hemlocks and started my way. From the direction it came from, I now beleive there were 2 deer. I could tell immediately that this deer would pass our two points to a side minimum that we have here in VT. I gave another grunt and it started to walk my way. I was hoping that it wasn't going to walk right at me......

- Doug Lawson.

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 07:47:00 PM »
...I wasn't sure which way it was going to walk but finally it saw something that got its attention. My practice arrow in the middle of the logging road. It started heading for that and walked right out to the middle of the road offering me a 15-20 yard shot, I pulled back and.....

- Doug Lawson.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
Please get it over with, the Notre Dame game is coming on!!! Hope it was a good one!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 08:09:00 PM »
Common man, I ahve a big glass of wine and a full belly from supper ... I can't last too much longer ... please finish your story - with pics!

:pray:  

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2011, 08:18:00 PM »
......shot and it looked good. I was thinking it might be a tad high but I knew I got lungs. It ran off and I could see it run for a ways because it ran in a semi circle crossing the logging road again. I could see his hind end beginning to sag as well. I lost sight of it and noticed that my back had gone into some kind of weird spasm. I was in a lot of pain for a second and almost screamed out, but I bent my back and sat down for it to go away. About this time I realized I had my video camera perfectly pointed to the area where I had just shot the deer but never thought to turn it on. Oh well...I got up and texted my son Schafer to get down and come help me. Meanwhile I did a little talking on film. I waited what I thought was an amount of time for my son to show up and he wasn't so I called and got no answer so I figured I better go get him so he could do some videoing with his new camera. After getting him back to my treestand, the fun began....

- Doug Lawson.

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2011, 08:18:00 PM »
Tap-Tap-Tap

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2011, 08:26:00 PM »
:campfire:     :campfire:    :coffee:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2011, 08:29:00 PM »
...as we pulled the arrow out of the ground covered in nice looking lung blood. It was just a few feet beyond my practice arrow. After examining the arrow and placing both back in my quiver, we began the tracking job which was simplified by the snow and that I had seen him going down. I still wanted to track him and look for blood. It had been about an hour since I had shot because of the delay in making sure my son was with me. The blood we found in the snow had had time to be absorbed by the snow and was not the bright red that I had hoped for, and since the snow had started to melt there was little patches of bare ground, making everything look like a deer track. After 20 yards of that I headed to where I saw the deer go down and started looking for it. In a bit....

- Doug Lawson.

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »
:banghead:  

Common man!  I am getting sleepy!!

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2011, 08:40:00 PM »
I saw it and was very relieved that it was in the area that I thought it was. We walked up to it and started checking it out. There was lots of blood on the ground and it looked like he had thrashed around a bunch in his final moments.

- Doug Lawson.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
Nice job!
Nice Buck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
I know he's not as big as some of you were expecting but I couldn't be prouder of this deer, taken in ou r rifle season with a longbow.

- Doug Lawson.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©