3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What not to buy/bring?  (Read 364 times)

Offline jfelkins

• Trad Bowhunter
What not to buy/bring?
« on: November 26, 2011, 08:24:00 PM »
What have you purchased or packed that you didn't use? I've got a closet full.
Chekmate TD Hunter II

Love many, trust few, row your own canoe!

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What not to buy/bring?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 08:42:00 PM »
Super heavy coats. I bought several in the past and they just sit....too heavy/bulky. Including a KOM ten ring that was something like 500 bucks..yikes.
David M. Conroy

Offline Trad-Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »
I've been thinning the "gear & equipment " herd the past few years.  If you buy good gear it's really amazing how little you really need.

Offline Exit Felix

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 09:27:00 PM »
I second the heavy coats.  I've never used the "extra" anything I've packed.  I don't wear any of the scentloc clothes I bought.  Face masks - I use face paint now.  I don't wear anything cotton anymore.

Offline jfelkins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 09:47:00 PM »
Trad-man I agree quality is key but what items are you thinning?
Chekmate TD Hunter II

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 10:25:00 PM »
I agree with Exit Felix about the cotton. I am trying to phase out all my cotton base layers and replace them with merino wool, or synthetic layers that still insulate if wet.

Base layers are your first defense against the weather. Don't scimp on them, Definitely worth the investment...

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 02:49:00 AM »
My extra heavy cold weather coat and bibs never get used, when it is that cold I stay by the fire.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 06:33:00 AM »
Oh yeah, I bought a bunch of fantastic merino wool base layers, but they all had metal zippers up the neck. They dont get used. #1- I can feel the cold of the zipper when its frigid out against my skin, #2- I cant stand ANY type of zippered neck anymore. I dont find that a zip neck really vents me very well anyway, so I'm sticking with crews or mock t necks.

Metal zippers on extreme cold merino underwear...really?
David M. Conroy

Offline jfelkins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 08:03:00 AM »
Maybe the super heavy stuff is good for muskox hunting......
Chekmate TD Hunter II

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
Those over-slippers you pull on over your boots for quieter stalking; who has time to pull them on when you start a stalk?  Same with moccasins: who has time to take off boots and put them on?  Out here in the west, we really do need rugged boots for the approach over sharp rocks, ect, and I haven't solved the problem of how to make quieter stalks, other than just move slow and be careful.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 10:05:00 AM »
well'....here latley i been leaving my drag rope behind...since i don't figure im gonna need it anyways....  :knothead:

Offline jfelkins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 10:07:00 AM »
Great point McDave,  I learned to bow hunt in the sierras and never did get those things on. That said I'd take my boots off sometimes. I've got good memories from hunting up near susanville.
Chekmate TD Hunter II

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 11:57:00 AM »
GPS
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline jfelkins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »
Ah arrow30. You gotta think positive!
Chekmate TD Hunter II

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 08:51:00 PM »
I stopped carrying my knife my Dad gave me.  It's hard not to, but that thing is awfully heavy.  I used to always bring my day pack, but lately I have been going without.  It has binoculars, first aid & survival stuff, some snacks extra gloves, hat, calls, etc.  I feel naked without it at times, but also a lot lighter and more traditional.

Online Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2011, 08:52:00 AM »
I hardly know where to start.  I've got an insulated set of ASAT that I've worn only once.  I've got a spare pair of boots I bought 3 years ago I've never worn.  There are the lousy ScentLoc Baselayers that I wore once.  They are the most uncomfortable, ill fitting garment ever.  Then there are several rattle bags, a scent dripper, a new set of fleece pants, a Cabelas wool sweater, at least 4 pairs of heavy gloves, and on and on.....

Offline tuscarawasbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 09:10:00 AM »
Any type of air or foam seat for sitting on the ground.

Offline danderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2011, 10:21:00 AM »
an armguard, i don't even practice with one now

more than 3 arrows (kind of a superstision with that number)

warm clothes in general. Did a lot of stalking and i found my old army pants and a cotton camo shirt were more than warm for the movement i made
BW SAX Kingwood 54#

1967 Bear Super Kodiak 50#

Offline RkyMtn Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2011, 10:39:00 AM »
I used to carry a folding saw, clippers, a range finder, flashlight (large 2 celled D batteries) rattling horns, extra jacket, particularly arain jacket and hood, extra knife, and some survival stuff like matches, compass etc.

It dawned on me (finally) thatsince i walk from my front door about a half mile over to my hunting area and I am hunting in stands where I've already clipped etc., I don't need that stuff with me anymore.

I carry a small "mini-mag" flashlight, a small grunt tube, and one good knife.  I do also carry an extra string and sometimes in really cold weather, a balaclava (sp)?  Oh, and I wouldn't think of going without my small binoculars---my  71 year old eyes appreciate the help.  All that other stuff gets left behind and if I really need anything, I can usually just walk home and pick it up.

Joe

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 12:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by danderson:
an armguard, i don't even practice with one now

more than 3 arrows (kind of a superstision with that number)

warm clothes in general. Did a lot of stalking and i found my old army pants and a cotton camo shirt were more than warm for the movement i made
I've started carrying the arm guard again. I never wear it in practice, but took a shot at a squirrel (since nothing bigger was available) and I'll be darned if the string didn't hit my jacket sleeve. I'd have cried really big tears like a little kid if that had been the buck of my lifetime.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©