3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting for Aoudad  (Read 270 times)

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting for Aoudad
« on: November 26, 2011, 08:29:00 PM »
Well went out yesterday afternoon to hunt aoudad. The wind picked up to 30 to 40 mph so I glassed the lee side of the cones but only found cattle. Checked out a couple of water holes then sacked out in the back of my honda element. Had the wind rock me to sleep. Woke up and the wind hadn't let up so I switched plans from hiking to the top of the lowest cone to glass the others to driving to different vantage points. Saw that the cattle and horses had taken over the good spots so figured the deer and aoudad stayed down in the canyons. Did find several new springs that I'll keep checking in the future. Felt great to get out hunting something after being laid low with this cancer crap. Had chemo on the 23rd and it didn't mess me up too bad. I'll be keeping an eye on the weather and keep going back.
House sized boulder getting ready to fall.

But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting for Aoudad
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 08:40:00 PM »
Impressive country! Real majestic.

Good luck in your hunting and your fight.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline JParanee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 08:45:00 PM »
Tough critter to hunt with a bow I have killed them with a rifle but not a bow

Good luck and keep ius posted
Morrison & Titan ILF & BF Extreme Limbs
Silvertip 1 Piece 57#-Silvertip 57#-Black Widow Ma II 61#&69#-Fedora 560 69#- 560 57#-560 60#-560 55#-Brakenbury Shadow 60#-Hoyt Buffalo 55#- Bob Lee 58#- fishing bows PSE's

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 09:35:00 PM »
Galen,

I still think it's funny how when you wrote the other day you were going to go out and stay in the Element, I thought you were throwing a cowboy bedroll on the ground and rough it!   :saywhat:  

Wild and intriguing country... bit spooky to someone not used to dry environs like that.. but surely picturesque.

Keep after em! As Lamb is quoted to having said, "Being there was good enough", eh?  :)
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Bodork

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »
This is the closest I've ever gotten to an aoudad. Actually, they were within 30 yds when I peeked over the edge of the canyon and they instantly spotted me. By the time I got my camera on 'em, they were a few hundred yards along the canyon edge-the first picture. Within 25 seconds, they were on the other side of the canyon-the second picture. I circled them so you can see them. And yes, this is in the Texas panhandle! Yea, tough to hunt with a bow but the view is worth every minute of it! Mike

Online Lucas K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 10:07:00 AM »
Beautiful scenery, I must get down there to see it one of these days!
Lucas Kent

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 10:13:00 AM »
Good luck Galen, glad you're feeling better!!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 10:22:00 AM »
Man this has piqued my interest.I'm trying to arrange some time after christmas and give them a go.NM has some open units and I need to be there anyway so I may as well try.Good Luck
Jeff Couture

Offline Elk whisperer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 12:32:00 PM »
That out by mt. taylor
The older I get the better I was

Offline SL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 01:19:00 PM »

Heres a few I had pass under a rock bluff a few years back. Probably 10 yards away when they passed.
They never looked up.
SL

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »
SL that's got my hopes up. Yes in the Mt Taylor area.
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline Elk whisperer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 12:29:00 PM »
Dont they have some Tahr out there
The older I get the better I was

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 02:39:00 PM »
Elk whisperer there is something about tahr on the water canyon wma but there's no permit available that I've seen so I doubt they exist.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©