3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Here I am doing it again  (Read 389 times)

Offline RRock

• Trad Bowhunter
Here I am doing it again
« on: November 26, 2011, 08:35:00 PM »
After saying every year that I'm not gonna go it again.

Scuttlebutt has it that we have some pretty nice deer here in Ohio. It's a rumor, you don't want to believe it. Seriously, I'm very fortunate to live smack in the middle of an area that has a very good gene pool for great bucks.

Every year I seem to find one or two that are pretty darn nice. Of course that's the start of it all. I get it in my head that those couple deer are the only deer that exist and I spend my time hunting only those.

This is were the problem is. Those big guy's that are 4.5 to 5.5 year old bucks didn't get there be being stupid, even during the rut. So a guy spends all his time hunting those guys and passes on bucks that "need another year or two".

So, how many of you folks find yourself going down that one way street also? Kinda fun though isn't it.

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Here I am doing it again
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
Guilty!
Bill

Offline Don Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 08:42:00 PM »
Be happy you have the option. Here in Virginia, some years, I don't see a good buck all season. This year I've seen 3 good buck in my new back yard. We just bought this place with 5 acres. I've seen a lot of deer. The three bucks, I've seen, would be the ones you would say " needs a couple of years". Don

Offline Furseeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 08:42:00 PM »
I'm guilty of the same type of activity. Last year after keeping a half a dozen trail cameras deployed all year long I had identified 3 muley bucks that were shooters. I was getting them on the cameras regularly. I was sure I would be able to find at least one of the three. Well I passed a couple of marginal deer because  was sure I had a solid plan. Went 0 for 0 for the season. I don't know where they went, but it wasn't home with me.

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 09:26:00 PM »
i havent shot a buck in 3 years because of letting them get bigger
i like biscuits

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 10:26:00 PM »
Yep. Hunted 20 straight days through the rut this year.  (I'm retired.)  Passed on a few smaller bucks and does, and managed to miss the big one.  We have a late archery season, but I could be headed for tag soup this year.

Have to say though that I don't generally hunt a particular buck or two, but rather a class of bucks -- those 3 1/2 or older. There aren't many deer in far northern Wisconsin where I hunt.  Just big woods.  No farm fields.  I don't use trail cameras or bait.  Thus, I don't get to see a lot of big bucks to target just one or two.

When you hunt mature bucks, you get a lot of time in the woods.  I rather like that.    :archer2:

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 11:54:00 PM »
I may catch a little flack over what I'm going to say. Keep in mind where I bowhunt in Texas, Texas has antler restrictions called the Rule of 13 where a buck's antlers have to have a 13" inside spread width in order for the buck to be legal so my comments below reflect this rule.

If a 3 year old buck comes by, I arrow it. If a 5 year old buck comes by, I arrow it.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 12:34:00 AM »
Night Wing you are aware that of the 254 counties in Texas only 61 of them have antler restrictions.  So, in 193 counties there is not that restriction.

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 09:20:00 AM »
Going on as we speak,big 11 point non typical and the biggest 8 I have ever seen.Was over at 7:45 this morning with the 8 point.Both of these mature bucks have the 6th sense, Think I am gonna have to get in a tree to get a crack at either one of them.Will be there again this evening when he head back North for the night,that is if the wind is right.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 10:11:00 AM »
That is a nice problem to have.I've hunted 29 days so far this aeason and have yet to see a buck wile on stand.Hunting in a low deer density area makes this so.I have to travel to areas that have enough large deer to be selective.
Jeff Couture

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 10:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by zipper bowss:
Guilty!
Bill
X2
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »
yes,I only get up to Ohio 2 weeks a year. In the last 5 seasons I have let nice 120-130 class bucks walk by..I keep hoping for a 140 or bigger.. I see huge bucks every year always just out of range. This year I had a monster buck in range, I hit an unseen twig and my arrow deflected, I was really bummed.. I do bring back 1 or 2 fat does every year and am thankful for that.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 10:36:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ground Hunter:
Night Wing you are aware that of the 254 counties in Texas only 61 of them have antler restrictions.  So, in 193 counties there is not that restriction.
I'm aware of that, but in the county I normally bowhunt in (Montgomery & Harris), these counties have the Rule of 13 restrictions.

And it really irks me when a 4 year mature buck sporting a 10 point or more rack, is an illegal deer because his inside antler genetics favor a high basket type rack instead of a wide inside spread rack. Many east Texas bucks who live in very thick cover, their racks normally favor the high basket type rack due to the very thick cover. Basket type rack favors a not very wide inside antler spread with. The very wide inside antler spread favors the Hill country or south Texas bucks.  

To wit: I am...NOT...a fan of the Rule of 13 because it deletes genetics out of the mix.    :(
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 10:53:00 AM »
I use to be strictly a "Big Buck Hunter". I once went 3 years without killing a deer because I was passing up several opportunities. I was waiting for "THE SHOOTER" to come along.

I finally realized one day, for me personally, if it's a live deer, & it's in range IT'S A SHOOTER! I'm an equal opportunity killer, who primarily hunts for meat, & makin memories!

Like Dan Fitzgerald used to say, "If it's brown, it's down!" Best of luck to you guys who hunt only "Trophy Shooter Bucks", to each his own.

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 10:55:00 AM »
I have been guilty of thinking this way, but the truth is I was born without a restraint gene   :rolleyes:   Very difficult for me to pass on a buck when I get the chance, I just like to shoot them and eat them.

What really changed this around for me more than anything else was the advent of the trail cam.  Much easier to know what is roaming your neck of the woods with these things.  Not sure if that's a good thing or not.

I have a buddy in Nebraska that won't use 'em.  His family has a farm that is in some prime whitetail country and he's a good hunter.  He says he doesn't want to use trail cams because he's afraid he'll get a pic of a 170 buck and then the 150's that he sees that he would normally be thrilled with wouldn't be as satisfying.

I love trail cams though, it's like catch and release hunting.

Offline swamper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 11:12:00 AM »
passed on 18 to 20 bucks in range,guilty here

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2011, 11:18:00 AM »
Absolutely !!!  I pass bucks almost everyday and yes, I realize I'm blessed to have that opportunity. Age, genetics and nutrition. Genetics I can't control. I do plant food plots for the deer that I don't hunt - this to supplement their natural forage. Age, this one I can control. If I don't let 'em grow I'll never have a chance at the mature, bigger bucks.  Again, I realize that in many parts of the country this scenario is not an option.

I'm in the woods doing what I love to do!
Besides, I've killed a few over the years and if I miss a year I'm good with that. I like venison too, but I will kill does for the freezer, if I get a chance!!

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2011, 11:26:00 AM »
I have not shot a buck in 5 years. Last one was 194 1/8". I'm not say the next one has to be larger, anything over 140 (141)I'll look at real hard if in range. I have for over the last 15 years, felt that if you shoot a 125, it will never be a 150 someday. I shoot does to eat and help control the deer in our area. I also know that a lot live in areas there are no or very few that make it to 125" and never will be until some 100 make it though a few seasons. Just think if restrictions there 125" in 2-4 years there would be several around and smarter bucks to get even bigger.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2011, 11:30:00 AM »
I passed on a forkhorn this year because he was not "legal" by the 13" rule.  I would have shot him if not for the law, that is just honest.  I watched him for a long time eating acorns.  Where I hunt you don't get very many chances at a deer much less the option of picking.  Maybe the "rule of 13 law" will help but, time will tell.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline customcrester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2011, 03:34:00 PM »
I learned a long time ago that you take what the woods will give you.That is the code i hunt by and every year i have venison in my freezer and a new rack for my game room.
"As long as the arrows still in the air there's hope"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©