3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New York Bucks Improving  (Read 866 times)

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
New York Bucks Improving
« on: November 27, 2011, 01:39:00 PM »
Hey NY bowhunters.
Now that the season is winding down I thought to report my findings in my area of the state.
I am in Sullivan county, close to ulster county.

I did not have the opportunity to kill a buck BUT they are clearly growing into decent and some considerable trophy size deer.

Our 3 point rule (one side) is working! I have NEVER seen so many beautiful racked bucks in my area.
My brother killed a terrific 8 point and almost killed another a week later minutes after he was busted by a 20" spread 6 point!
My friends and neighbors have killed some beauties as well.

In the evening, We have seen many bucks chasing does thru my fields and into the yard at times.
Different bucks!
The rut sure brings them out!
I don't know if ALL folks are following the rules by passing up small bucks but it sure looks bright by me.

Perhaps my fellow New Yorkers could share some input on what they have seen in their neck of the woods........Philip
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: New York Bucks Improving
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 01:42:00 PM »
Philip,I am glad your area is been managed for quality,this for sure pay off.Next year will only be better.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 06:25:00 PM »
It's worked here in PA, can't see why it wouldn't in NY.

Now when the only shot opportunity you have at a buck all season is on a 4-pt, broadside at less than 10 yards..........
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 06:28:00 PM »
If I could see a deer I could give you some input, but up in this part of the world that is easier said than done. I'm glad you think it's working out for you!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 06:42:00 PM »
I can definitely report bigger and better bucks in my area since the 3 point rule began.

I also totally understand the frustration of the rule as well.
Most of us foam at the mouth waiting for Oct.15 here in NY to get in the woods and bowhunt!

Then a 4 point comes by.......  :banghead:  .

This happened to me many times, twice this season alone!
I did kill a doe however and felt blessed for it.

Normally when I see a buck, it's a spiker or fork horn. I am now seeing some dandy bucks!
They need time to grow.
........Philip
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline Ron Vought

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 06:48:00 PM »
Yep bigger bucks in PA due to antler restrictions. We're still in catch up mode compared to other states but it was one of the better things we did here in PA.

Ron

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »
It works! No doubt. You actually start seeing results in about 1 year.  Just ask J. Williams! (that was a dandy BTW)
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 07:08:00 PM »
This year they implemented the three point rule in cape may county NJ(southern tip on NJ) and I hope it works, Over slautering of deer(brown its down mentality) has descimated the deer pop. The three rule is the last bit of hope for this area.Glad to hear its working in NY
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Catskill Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 08:20:00 PM »
Here in Delaware County we will be going to it next year. I'm glad, I think it will only make things better.  Take a doe for meat and let the bucks increase their numbers.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 08:31:00 PM »
Fantastic thread Philip. I have seen many different farms here set buck management rules and during the third and fourth year you guys will see huge jumps in your bucks. At that time you will wish your state had implemented a buck harvest rule years ago. Good for the NY state DNR.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 08:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by KentuckyTJ:
Fantastic thread Philip. I have seen many different farms here set buck management rules and during the third and fourth year you guys will see huge jumps in your bucks. At that time you will wish your state had implemented a buck harvest rule years ago. Good for the NY state DNR.
Thanks Kentucky.
I can't lie. When this 3 point rule began 4 years ago, I was bummed out about it because I am not a trophy hunter by no means.
I was more than happy to take a spike with my recurve. In fact I was tickled if I did.

We traditional bowhunters are already at a handicap with our equipment!   :banghead:  

This rule has forced us to be disciplined.
The honest hunters anyway.
It is now showing the results.

Typically I would have shot a young buck and my hunt was over. Now, being forced to hold out is exposing some great deer that I would not have seen otherwise.

The apple trees were amazing this year and brought deer to them like magnets.

It's one thing to hear that it works but I am SEEING the results!!
I had a bunch of friends come over one evening after the afternoon hunt and all we talked about were the bucks we all saw that day.....Good Bucks!

This was not the case before these rules.

I hope the input from these antler restrictions keeps coming guys. It's very informative and most interesting......Philip
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 08:56:00 PM »
I have been seeing a lot of deer this year and some good bucks too even in areas that do not have point regs in place. Big buck sightings have been on the increase for me in the last 3 years but I think its due to hunters voluntarily passing smaller deer. I on the other hand a not shy about shooting tender deer. Thankfully the state seems to be on the upswing all over as far as numbers even in the areas that supposedly have no deer.   :dunno:

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 09:01:00 PM »
Izzy, an upswing??   :saywhat:    :nono:   Not all over!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline guspup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 09:36:00 PM »

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 09:45:00 PM »
NO......none of those deer were taken with in 80 miles or more of where I hunt. I have watched deer numbers in a downward spiral for the last 10 years. I know to many hunters who are seeing less and less year after year. I understand how QDM works...I saw the results in Illinois when I hunted there. But letting a spike or a forky pass here will not make the difference in the areas I spend my hunting time!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 10:05:00 PM »
I apologize for venting on another's thread, Wrong place to do that   :notworthy:   I glad somebody is having a good season!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2011, 10:14:00 PM »
When NY 1st implemented the antler restrictions, I messed up on what could have been my 1st NY deer.  I saw a buck walking toward me. It looked like a fork horn so I never got ready.  once he was standing 10 yards form me it was obvious he was a 5 point aka Legal!   :knothead:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline guspup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2011, 10:45:00 PM »
Hi Ron,
It's a big and diverse state. I grew up just 10 miles upriver (west on the Mohawk) from you and married a girl just east of you in Scotia. My uncle took a buck from Hamilton County in the 50's that is still in the record books today. Try doing that now. Our state is changing from an industrial area to a wilderness area as work goes elsewhere. Here in the finger lakes, the area is changing from agricultural to mature forests. The deer hunting is excellent, much like the Adirondacks 50 years ago. I was trying to add to this thread, that in NYS we are actually harvesting some excellent bucks that rival what you see in magazines from other states. And I'm proud of that, and my state. But I am empathetic to areas of the state that are becoming more suited to moose and bear.

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2011, 10:46:00 PM »
I remember when Gary Alt, the renowned bear biologist, was put in charge of getting PAs deer population under control. He proposed a balanced herd and antler point restrictions. He was literally run out of town and vilified by PA sportsmen. Now they seem pretty happy to be shooting decent bucks. Glad NY, my native home is following suit. Haven't been able to hunt there in years but I miss my home turf.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2011, 11:07:00 PM »
I was on a hunt in Hamilton Co. in the 80's where my friend shot a deer that scored 177 gross, 164 5/8 net.I know what big deer are. That can still be done with hard work and a bit of luck. My little piece of the pie was fantastic hunting just 20 years ago, now it's not. I average seeing 3-4 deer a year,this year I have seen 2. I have kept a journal since 1988 and my sightings continue to decrease and I'm just not sure what to do short of moving to another state!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©