3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: In the field with my daughter  (Read 203 times)

Offline Furseeker

• Trad Bowhunter
In the field with my daughter
« on: November 27, 2011, 05:17:00 PM »
After soliciting some information from the group about my bows safety I took some recommendations and had two local bow makers take a look at the area I was concerned about.  Both of them felt like the bow was fine to continue shooting. So armed with that information I decided to take it out with me this morning while checking my trail cameras. I’ve been trying to keep tabs on 2 large muley bucks that are just down the road on a dairy farm I hunt. My daughter was an unwilling partner today because momma needed some quite time to get a few tasks done around the house.  We checked 3 cameras and had no deer on any of them, we did get a few birds and some cows, which I guess is to be expected when you place cameras on a dairy farm. Along the way I was shooting at various targets and my daughter proved to be a great arrow retriever. While I was checking the last camera I noticed she had picked up my bow and was looking it over.  She started asking all sorts of questions about it so I asked her if she wanted to try and shoot it.  Her answer was yes so I gave her a few minutes of instruction and within a few minutes she was shooting every arrow in my hip quiver.  After she emptied the quiver twice she said her fingers were hurting so we decided to call it a day. She wanted to carry the bow on the way back to the truck so I let her. A sly smile crept across my face as she started asking more questions, like to girls shoot bows, and do the make bows that are easier to pull back. I explained to her that a lot of girls shoot bows and told her even her mom has a bow.  I also let her know they do make bows that are easier to pull back and asked her if she would like one.  It didn’t take her long to come up with an answer for that question and by the time we got back home she was so excited she ran in the house and told her mom she wanted a bow for Christmas or before if possible.  Because she is the only child left at home I think I have a few days of daddy daughter stump shooting in my very near future.  I’m pretty sure my old pops would get a kick seeing the third generation shooting his old bow too.

Offline Stump_pounder

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: In the field with my daughter
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 05:20:00 PM »
I so need some pants like that for elk camp!!!! :-)
Wes wallace recurve 58#@29
Bear Kodiak static recurve 70#@28
PBS member

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 05:20:00 PM »
Cool!

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 05:23:00 PM »
I just ordered a St. Joe River longbow for my 11 year old daughter with some arrows from Green and all the fixins from 3Rivers. A little step up from her old hickory longbow. Way to go on sparkin' the fire!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 05:27:00 PM »
Outstanding David!  There's something extremely special about shooting bows with daughters.  Every moment is to be cherished.  Now.....about her camo?
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 06:09:00 PM »
I like your daughter already!
YES!
Girls shoot bows, indeed they have a very ancient toehold in the sport. Aside from guys in cave drawings, one of the oldest images I know is of the goddess Diana (Artemis), with her hound and bow. Here, instead of a hunting dog, she is holding the antler of a deer, symbolizing her dominion of the Chase.

Archery is shared by women around the world, and has been traditionally regarded as a "girls' sport" in schools.

This ancient lady exhibits the Parthian Shot.

Japanese women:

Korean women shooting:

This is my friend Suzanne, and her very first bullseye, using my 25 pound Lady Kodiak.

So, not only do women OWN archery, every woman should decide for herself what she would like to do, as part of who she is, whether other women do it or not.
It is nice to have numbers in support, but also nice to have the courage to decide for oneself what could be of value in one's life.

I say hooray for your daughter!
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 07:10:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:     :clapper:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 07:16:00 PM »
I love the camo!  i know you are a proud father!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 07:17:00 PM »
Way to go!   :thumbsup:  I expect pics of the Christmas bow soon.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline swifty99

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 07:26:00 PM »
That's really terrific, I think you have some fun times ahead.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©