3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Wildest Country Youve Ever Hunted From A Hotel?  (Read 460 times)

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Wildest Country Youve Ever Hunted From A Hotel?
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2011, 09:57:00 PM »
I've hunted western Wyoming many times from a motel in town. Like said above, a hot shower and dry sheets sure are nice.

Killed this buck while hunting from a motel in Glenrock, Wyoming. The country was new to me and the deer plentiful.

Hunting buddy Pete Coats and I shared expenses of motel hunting on an antelope hunt along the Yellowstone River not far from Miles City.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2011, 10:08:00 PM »
Greybull Wyoming.....
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2011, 10:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by snakewood3:
Hmmmm domestic it would have to be New Orleans
 Exotic maybe Singapore
That's funny stuff right there.

The big problem with DIY out of state hunts is the concept of setting up and outfitting a camp on a BUDGET of TIME.  Vacation time is always at a premium.  Even if you want to drive out and set up camp and have the backcountry camp experience it isn't a practical option for many people.  

Great question, Izzy.  This would make a very worthwhile and useful article for TBM.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2011, 10:45:00 PM »
Alamosa... Colorado
Quite a few Hotel/ motels around and 45 min drive to nice hunting

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2011, 10:07:00 AM »
Charlie, those pics right there of of the type of country Im speaking of. Those are the views that give you that tingly feeling in your spine.

Greg, logistics are 3/4 the problem with backcountry camps. Two day drive both ways, a day to set up camp and a day to break it down, you almost need two weeks. I could swing it with work but I wouldnt want to be away from my family for that long.

Hunting from a motel/hotel, you fly in get your rental vehicle, get to your room, get out and scout/hunt if theres still daylight left. You can hunt til dark as you dont have to worry about cooking in the dark.

If you get rained out you dont have to deal with your smelly partner in a small tent all day.

The only cons that I can see are not much opportunity for campfire bs'ing, cost of fuel getting to and from hunting land and hotels costs.

You fellas have some great suggestions. I hope to have a destination picked by January to hunt 2012.

Thanks,Izzy

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2011, 02:25:00 PM »
Gunnison Colorado and Craig Colorado.  But...prefer to be camped in my hunt area.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2011, 03:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by monterey:
Gunnison Colorado and Craig Colorado.  But...prefer to be camped in my hunt area.
Both those area's are probably my favorite to visit in CO. California Park north of Hayden is a great place! It's probably an hour from Craig.
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by snakebit40:

Originally posted by monterey:
Both those area's are probably my favorite to visit in CO. California Park north of Hayden is a great place! It's probably an hour from Craig. [/b]
Yes, have hunted California Park area several times.  We always camped when hunting up there.  When I hunted out of Craig we were going west into Unit 10.  It's a pretty good drive, but highway all the way.  Only did the hotel thing because it was January and did not want to deal with nights in the minus 30 range.  :)    As it were, the temps never went under +20 while we were there, but who knew?
Monterey

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2011, 07:42:00 PM »
Izzy if you find a place with a Hot Tub I'm In...

Sounds like  a good plan..  :laughing:

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2011, 07:51:00 PM »
Gator, think I got a line on one!  Im waiting on measurements to see if I can shoot my longbow out of it.     :thumbsup:

Offline Hit-or-Miss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2011, 07:57:00 PM »
Perhaps not the wildest, but a long drive. In September, I spent a few nights in a Cuban hotel in Naples Florida and hunted hogs / deer in the Everglades. A shower, bed, TV, AC and a Nicaraguan cigar sure is nice after getting assaulted by chiggers and skeeters in the hot sun all day. The only deer I saw in the glades was too small to shoot. I guess I'm used to deer in Maine. But I crept up on a big gator (by accident, to within a few feet!), saw tons of birds and enjoyed hunting the area.
  Then I went north to Arcadia with Archery Outfitters to hunt hogs and slept in my truck. There were hotels 30 min away, but if I'm in prime farmland loaded with hogs, I'm spending as much time afield as possible, and only sleeping a few hours. Plus the gas was so $$ on the ride down, I wanted to save a few bucks. So I slept in the truck 2 nights, hunted hard and got a hog. And no, I didn't need a blanket at night, as it was sweltering! The great hunting and a cooler full of ice in the back of my truck to keep my water and beer cold made it tolerable.
  Hotels are nice, but roughing it can be fun too, if you have the right attitude and your back will tolerate it.

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2011, 08:25:00 PM »
Izzy thumbs up on the "tub", might have fletch up some vanes...

Seriously, I hunt up at my folks cabin, family affair wife and little girl.  We have a blast, good heat, water, and soft bed... It sure does keep a guy fresh, when you get a good nights sleep and don't fight the elements.. Heck after 4 days of "roughing" it, Im beat up.. LOL....

Black Hills SD as Stevo mentioned, may be a good place to check into... Not as far west, but some really nice country. Haven't hunted it, Black Hills but have passed through...

Deer Tag might be more reasonable too..

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2011, 08:53:00 PM »
Mattamuskeet Inn, best known for the duck hunting in the area but there is also deer and bear. My bud had a mouse run across his face in the middle of the night which created quite a stir but, the oyster bar and the breakfast they serve up is both top notch.
Member NCBA

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2011, 05:18:00 PM »
Wonder how that hot tub blind would work out with a sinew backed bow?
Monterey

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2011, 09:13:00 AM »
Starting to narrow it down a bit. Keep it coming.

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
   If you get rained out you dont have to deal with your smelly partner in a small tent all day.

Hunting Elk near Raymond, Washington (just like Glenn in "Bows on the Little Delta") it seems to always rain at least a day or two. Year before last I was hunting with a guy that just had to rent a Hotel Room, we actually got one less than 5 miles from where we were hunting (gated road) $40 a night, wasn't fancy, but great place to take a hot shower and dry off after a day of hunting.
"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order." - John Burroughs

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2011, 02:00:00 PM »
I hunted the Uintas for elk in Utah near the Strawberry Reservoir.  there are some pretty decent cabins for rent really reasonably during bow season.  Not luxury by any means but hot showers, warm beds and a restaurant nearby.  15 minutes or less to the trailheads.  You still gotta hike in a ways to get to the elk though depending on the pressure.

There are lots of lodges and nice cabins around elk and deer country out west.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2011, 02:17:00 PM »
I hunted the Wasatch mtn in northern Utah once from hotel. It's nice in late november in the snow. I have sure hunted out of cabins and ranch houses that are much nicer than most hotels.

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2011, 02:30:00 PM »
I paid for a "Guided hunt" ( guided meant he drove the van to drop each hunter off and picked them up) in Aiken, SC years ago and stayed at what may have been the worst Days Inn I have ever seen. Of course did not have to stay in the room very long each day. Had to be in the parking lot at 4am to be picked up and by the time everyone was picked up and back to the hotel in the evening it would be 9:30-10pm. Needless to say it left a really poor taste in my mouth for guided hunts, live and learn I guess.

Offline sheephunter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2011, 02:43:00 PM »
Salida, Buena Vista, Leadville in Colorado are all right next to the Coligates (huge mountain range in central CO) that in any direction you look pretty much are 13-14,000 foot peaks and it is a OTC tag for elk. Deer is all draw in CO. Lots of hotels to chose from and a lot of foom to roam. Going over Cottonwood pass right next to Buena Vista will take you over a almost 13K foot pass (you can drive it). Might see bighorn sheep or mountain goats or moose as well. Or Taylor Reservoir as well(on the other side of Cottonwood pass). The cabin are kind of expensive(approx. $100 night) but right in the heart of it( can be hunting in fifteen to thirty minutes) but they have a kitchen. Rough country at times though but you wont be let down!
Charley
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 58@28
Bob Lee 60" 3PC RC 52@28
Great Plains 64" 1PC LB 57@28
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 53@28
"Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow" Fred Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©