3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thanksgiving Day Doe - #9  (Read 399 times)

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
Thanksgiving Day Doe - #9
« on: November 28, 2011, 11:04:00 AM »
The creek was up.  Recent rains had brought it from standing holes of water, to a noticeable running  current.  I stood looking at it for a moment wondering if my rubber boots were going to be high enough to keep my feet dry.  With only one way to find out, I eased into the water.  I went slowly, and at the deepest point I had no more than 1 inch of  freeboard.  Upon reaching the opposite bank, I breathed a sigh of relief and continued on deeper into the swamp.  

My destination was the same funnel where I had killed the deer last week.  I hadn’t been back since then, and hoped that leaving it undisturbed for 7 days would help my chances of having an encounter.  I picked my way across several more sloughs, which had been dry the week before, but were now full of water.  Luckily, I remembered how they looked empty, and knew the shallowest places to cross.  

Upon reaching the tree I planned to climb(which happened to be the same one as last time), I strapped on my gaffs, attached my bow to my pull-up cord, and climbed quickly and quietly to the desired height before hanging my Loc-On.  After removing my gaffs and pulling up my bow, I settled back on the seat.  I glanced at my watch…7:15.  I had been late getting into the woods because of the snooze button.

From the elevated position, the first thing I noticed was how evident the funnel was with the increased water level.  I imagined it would also make it much more effective.  I checked the wind with my breath, and saw that it was perfect, lightly drifting from my 1 o’clock.  I expected any movement to come from between my 9 and 11 o’clock.  I had been doubting the current moon phase, which in the past has been tough on me, but after hearing several distant gunshots during my first 30 minutes on stand, I started to feel pretty good about it.  

At 8:00, I heard a big racket, and looked to my left.  In just a second, I caught a glimpse of deer hide moving through the trees heading in my direction.  It was coming fast.  I stood up quickly, and about that time saw another deer appear.  They were trotting straight toward me.  As they were coming in, I scanned their heads for bone, but didn’t see any.  When the two does got to about the 10 yard line, I caught more movement behind them, and immediately knew why they were trotting.  A nice buck was chasing them.  He was about 60 yards back, but steady coming.  I watched the does come on in, and then veer off  to pass behind my tree.  

Suddenly I had a problem.  They were now going to be passing on my downwind side.  I could only hope they wouldn’t smell me.  When the lead doe got dead downwind of my tree, she locked up.  Dang it!  She acted confused, not wanting to continue on, but not wanting to head back toward the buck.  In a split second, she made up her mind, and turned around to leave.  

Knowing that my chances for a shot at the buck were over, I wasted no time.  I drew the Centaur to anchor, and found my spot on the quartering away deer.  All of my powers of concentration were focused on the mark as the string left my fingers.  I watched, in what seemed like slow motion, as the orange feathers spun their way toward the target.  They disappeared precisely where I had intended.  It was one of the most beautiful shots I've ever made.  I knew immediately, without a doubt, that she was through.  I glanced over and watched as the buck ran off in the distance.  

After settling down from all the excitement, I gathered up my things and headed down the tree.  I walked over to where the deer had been standing.  6...7...8 yards from the base of my tree.  There was an explosion of blood where she had been standing.  I found my arrow about 3 yards into the bloodtrail.  It had stuck in the dirt, but the feathered end had still been in her when she started to run causing her to carry it a little ways.  The bloodtrail was awesome, and often times visible on the side of cypress knees 15 yards ahead.  I found her about 75 yards out.  It was a happy Thanksgiving.

Entrance

Exit

Chris
>>>>--------------->

The benefits of a big broadhead are most evident when things go wrong. - CTS

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thanksgiving Day Doe - #9
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 11:28:00 AM »
Great shot Chris!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 11:38:00 AM »
Was there any blood left in her?  Good gravey that broad head leaves a hole!

Nice job.

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 12:20:00 PM »
NICE SHOOTING  :archer2:

Offline TRT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 12:39:00 PM »
What a hole!  Congratulations!
"There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." Romans 8:1 (ESV)

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 01:05:00 PM »
You, sir, must have a tapeworm.   Congrats on #9!

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 01:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by pdk25:
You, sir, must have a tapeworm.   Congrats on #9!
:biglaugh:     Congrats. Yeah if you eat all this venison you put on the ground, your going to be out in swamp rubbing trees.
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 01:44:00 PM »
Unbelievable amount of damage with that broadhead!  Congratulations on #9!  Great shooting also!

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline Flyboy718

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 01:52:00 PM »
What kinda head is THAT!!  I need some of those...
Quinn Stallion Classic 40# @ 29"
Quinn Stallion 50# @ 28"
Quinn Comet XL 30# @ 28"

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 01:56:00 PM »
Man that is a hole! That looks like a Tree shark.
James Kerr

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 02:13:00 PM »
Congrat again Chris! Simmons should put you on their payroll, you sure show what those heads can do! Wow!!  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 02:35:00 PM »
Can't get over that hole!

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 02:42:00 PM »
Note the narrow slit made by the 2-blade.  lol
Chris
>>>>--------------->

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 03:05:00 PM »
Thats awesome Chris.  Great story and pics.  
Sweet hunt!!!

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 03:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by steadman:
Congrat again Chris! Simmons should put you on their payroll, you sure show what those heads can do! Wow!!   :thumbsup:  
I was thinking the same thing! Walking add lol. Congrats! What are the specs on your bow? Sorry if you've already stated it.
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2011, 03:16:00 PM »
I think it made the classic blood trail that "also Ray Charles can follow"!  :scared:
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 03:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by snakebit40:
What are the specs on your bow? Sorry if you've already stated it.
It's a Centaur Triple Carbon Elite.  63# @ 28", 62".  I cannot express how well this bow shoots.  It's almost an extension of my will.
Chris
>>>>--------------->

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2011, 04:18:00 PM »
The Limiting Out Stage

:biglaugh:
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2011, 04:38:00 PM »
Nice Job Sir!!!

Yeah....WIDE 2 blades leave a hole for sure.    :readit:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline benmmc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 05:20:00 PM »
Nice! Beautiful shot.
"We are men of action; lies do not become us." -Wesley

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©