3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Big Ed kicks an extra point!!  (Read 1764 times)

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Big Ed kicks an extra point!!
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2011, 08:13:00 PM »
:campfire:
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2011, 08:51:00 PM »
Ed....Where o where are you tonight, why did you leave me here all alone..... HEE HAW !!   :campfire:  

Lanier
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2011, 09:06:00 PM »
Quarter the critter??????
This is gonna be good.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2011, 09:18:00 PM »
Oh Ed, where art thou?????   We're waiting!!!
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2011, 09:19:00 PM »
Ed, those tickets were the best deal going...

LOL...

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »
:campfire:
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »
I'm back!!
 I forgot to mention I stopped down to my little Buddy Tim's house Sunday morning to have him watch me shoot.(Lesson's) I completely confused Tim with my shooting issue's.
 Anyway back to the story. This guy must have some deer issues on his property if he is wanting me to bring my bow. Now I'm getting pumped up. At the end of the Game he hands me his card with a code to the gate on his driveway and a hand drawn lay out of his property.He said to enjoy and call him if I had any questions. I am blown away .
 After the game my nephew is wound tight after the Pats spanked the Beagles. I am flying sky high with the new opportunities that came about.
 It was a tough night of sleep to say the least. I was up at about 2:30 am thanks to the stadium foods. Well I am up might as well make the most of it. I shower up and head to Walmart in Delaware get my license.Eat a quick bagel and coffee at the local quick mart and it is off to my new find.
 So many things are running through my mind with what if's and maybes.
 Mrs. Garmin takes me right to the driveway or shall we say gateway. I pull up, punch in the codes, lights come on lighting the driveway. I am thinking Holy Moly. I pull in and park to the side of the garage as the owner had informed me to. This is more of an Estate than a home.
 I check the wind and make my approach to the wood line. I figure I'll look for a trail of some sort to enter the woods and look for a tree to climb. I am really going at this blindly. Finally find an inlet to a seriously thick patch of honey suckle. I find a nice little red oak and proceed to elevate the old Lone Wolf climber. At about ten foot I hit a limb and figure I am good enough to at least wait for daylight.
 I no sooner got settled and I have a deer walking out in front of my perch. Can't see anything but hear a couple fait grunts. I am all jacked up ,heart pounding ,shaking all the goodies. Daylight seemed to take forever.
 Day light comes and I am in some tight quarters. I caught glimpses of deer moving through the burrows of thickness. I let out a few grunts and about thirty yard upwind of me I see a sapling getting the sap knocked out of it .Can't see much but I give him another grunt and he let out a snort wheeze that made the hair on my neck stand on edge.
 I look and he is coming and finally notice his headgear. I am not sure if that was a good or bad.
 I will be right back I need to tuck my daughter in and read a bit for her. Sorry guys
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by Big Ed:
At the end of the Game he hands me his card with a code to the gate on his driveway and a hand drawn lay out of his property.He said to enjoy and call him if I had any questions. I am blown away  
Perfect example of how good things happen to good people!!!! Good for you Ed, couldn't happen to a nicer guy!  :clapper:  

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2011, 10:23:00 PM »
OH Ed, you had me at I'm Back.!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2011, 10:56:00 PM »
We are patient, sorta!  :thumbsup:    :coffee:    :coffee:    :coffee:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2011, 10:59:00 PM »
It's gettin close to my bed time  :campfire:

Offline BeNoIt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2011, 11:08:00 PM »
I'm guessing Ed laid down with his daughter and went to sleep. I used to do that too.

Waiting until tomorrow...  :)
David

Matthew 6:33  But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Bigfoot Flatliner 55@28 64" (New!)
Spirit LB 55# @28" 62"

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2011, 11:41:00 PM »
He's coming stiff legged pumped up ready to kick some butt. I am standing waiting shaking, man I love this stuff. At about 20 yards he decides he want to do some more intimidating and proceeds to punish a about a six inch cedar and throw some dirt. Then backs up urinating on his hocks and lets out another snort wheeze. By now I can hardly swallow. At about eighteen yards out he decides to circle down wind, I am frantically looking for a shooting lane. As I try to turn with him dirt or something fell from my stand making the slightest noise. He stops and I think I am busted... He turns and is coming in I find a hole at about twelve yards and let out a quiet mouth bleat. He stops dead in his tracks and I am at full draw and the arrow is gone. The arrow impacts at what looks like a liver shot or worse. I am sickened by what had just happened. How could I have screwed this up , perfectly broadside . He never jumped or ran just walked away with his tail flickering and moving slowly.
  I stayed in the stand for about forty five minutes just beating myself up. I got down and got to the impact point and instantly found blood. My spirits raised and I followed the trail for a bit and was not impressed with the amount of blood. The blood was dark without a whole lot of bubbles in it. I backed out and walked out to my truck. While on the way out I called Tim to go over the scenario with him and he agreed I should back out and get some lunch a give the deer some time to bed up.
 I decided to head home grab some lunch and kind of regroup. My mind was going in circles. What if I didn't mortally wound this deer, did it run on the neighboring property. So many what ifs.
 After regrouping and giving the deer about three and a half hours I decided it was time. When arriving back at the property I took a deep breath and said a quick Prayer.

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2011, 12:03:00 AM »
Sorry bathroom break!
 I found my arrow that I stuck in the ground at the last blood. The next ten yards were tuff to follow ,then the flood gates opened and within twenty yards I could see the white from his rump. I examined every inch of the buck through my bino's just to see if he was breathing, moving or anything. I didn't see any movement but still proceeded with the utmost of caution. His antlers did not have any ground shrinkage. I was overcome with emotions and gave thanks for the opportunity. He is a four year old nine point and the finest animal that I have harvested with a longbow.
I had a short drag to the truck and I called the landowner to let him know that I had harvest a deer. He was extremely happy and proceeded to ask when I would be back.I said I would try to get back down by the weeks end.He said that would be great because his wife would be home on Sunday and she didn't allow hunting.
 I just smiled and looked to the sky shaking my head. He did say his wife travels quite often.I told him to call me anytime and smiled the whole way home.
I shot the buck with a 56" Shrew Classic Hunter that is about 51 pounds at my draw with full length Axis 500's with a 150 grain Magnus Stinger.
 I'll post some pictures tomorrow.Thanks for tagging along!!

Big Ed
Here is one fro the cell phone-

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2011, 12:07:00 AM »
Great story Ed, sounds like you really found a sweet little niche there. Hope that property yields more deer for you in the future.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2011, 12:09:00 AM »
Congrats Ed. After the year you have had it's great to see it has all worked out for you.

I can't wait to see the pictures!

Offline tracker1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2011, 12:20:00 AM »
Ed, that sounds like a sweet piece of property it is to bad the wife has issues with hunting I guess you will have to hunt around her schedule.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2011, 12:46:00 AM »
Great success, Ed. I am really happy for you. Your setup sounds a lot like what I often shoot, as you know. You have done well, my friend, especially considering all you have gone through.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2011, 01:06:00 AM »
You have just got to take those opportunities and make something happen. Congrats Ed sounds like a real Cracker!
Glad the hand is strong again and you'r back out there getting into them.
looking forward to the pics.
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2011, 01:21:00 AM »
Amazing,congrats.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995