3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "FREEDOM" - 4th of July Tribute!!!  (Read 1698 times)

Offline peter c iacavazzi

• Trad Bowhunter
"FREEDOM" - 4th of July Tribute!!!
« on: July 09, 2007, 12:29:00 PM »
Freedom

As I sit at my computer and begin to write these words, I ask myself does this belong in a Montana Bowhunters Association newsletter?  In my heart I say yes. As you read these words I hope that you too will agree with my decision to print this article. I pray that each of us will be touched by the words upon this page and perhaps for a moment we will savor the breath of freedom. Perhaps we will even give thanks for the cost of that freedom.

I received news today that some of my friends in the United States military will not be returning to U.S. soil. Their lives have been given on foreign ground .  For them the cost of freedom has demanded everything. If there is any solace to be offered it is this, I believe that God saves a special place for the brave. Believe me, they are the brave!

Our country has been built upon the credence of “The Land of the Free and Home of the Brave.” I ask you to remember this: This is the Land of the Free, because of the Brave. All freedom comes at a cost. As I write these words my son Tanner lies sleeping peacefully in his bed. I take great comfort in the knowing that each breath he draws is free. For so long as the brave exist, my son will always know freedom. I will know freedom. We will know freedom!

My friend and fellow MBA member from New Mexico Mr. Butch Wilkes sent me a newspaper article that demands printing . I ask that each of you read it and remember always at what cost our freedom exacts upon us. I ask that you never forget those who fight for you. Those who define the brave.

The following article was taken from a US newspaper dated Sunday, June 10th, 2007. I have condensed it for this newsletter. Please read this story .

“Fallen Comrades”

Marine Major Ray J. Mendoza was killed in action along the Syrian border November 14th, 2005. He left behind two children. His widow asked that his fellow Marines write a letter to his children. A simple letter that someday might help his kids understand why their father will never come home. A letter that may one day bring them peace and comfort within their grief.

The one letter that the widow Karen Mendoza felt would best explain her husband came from fellow Marine Major Doug Zeimbec. This letter still sends shivers down her spine:

Dear Kiana and Alek,

Ray and I had a conversation late May in 2004 while we were deployed to Iraq. He spoke of why he fought. He fought to give the people of Iraq a chance. He fought to crush those who would terrorize and enslave others. He fought to protect his fellow Marines.

The last thing he told me that day was, “I don’t want any of these people (terrorists) telling my kids how to act, or how to dress. I don’t want to worry about the safety of my children.” Kiana and Alek, your father fought for many things, but always remember, he fought for YOU.

As you fight this battle we call life, you will find your challenges greater, your adversity larger, your enemies more numerous. The beautiful thing is, you will grow stronger , smarter, faster  and you will overcome the obstacles in your way. No one could have better prepared you than your father. He instilled in you the essentials to life:

* Live with integrity, for without integrity we deceive ourselves, we live in a house of cards.

* Fight for what you believe, for without valor we lose our freedom.

* Be willing to sacrifice, for anything worthy in life requires sacrifice.

* Be disciplined, for it is discipline that builds the foundation of your success.

You will encounter misguided people in your life who may question Americas attempt to help the people of Iraq and the middle east. These pathetic windbags, who have nothing so sacred in their lives  they would be willing to fight for, will argue and debate endlessly on what we should have done.

While they criticize they forget the truth, or conventionally overlook the fact that it takes men and women of action, willing to make sacrifice to free the enslaved, to advance the cause of freedom. Our great nation was built upon the shoulders of men like your father. While the nay-sayers and cowards hid in the shadows sniveling that nothing was worth dying for, men like your dad help to carve out liberty and freedom.

Your fathers passing, while tragic, serves as an endless source of empowerment. Your father would not want you to wallow in self pity. I know you will honor him by living your life in the positive example he set. Respect and remember him. Drive on with your lives. Serve something  greater than yourself. Enjoy all the good things that life has to offer. That is what he would want.

When I look into your eyes I see your father.  Courageous, determined and resolute, your father embodied all that is virtuous in a warrior. Even now you strive to embody his same character . Remember, there will never be any pressure for you to be exactly like your father. Be your own person, but build your character in his image.

Many people may be concerned about your future because of the early passing of your father. I don’t worry at all. Your dad gave you all you need to become a great man and woman. I know your father would have told you to be your own hero. Don’t wait for someone to rise up and lead you to victory, to your goals. If you do, you might wait a very long time.  

Ray died as a warrior, sword in hand in service of his country, his comrades and you his loved ones. His spirit and example give us all hope, reaffirms our faith. Your father reminds us that there are men willing to fight for those they don’t even know ,so that all may live in peace.

I joined the Corps to serve beside men like your father. There is no Marine I’d rather have protecting my flank in combat than your dad. Even now, as I write this letter in Iraq, I will always honor him on the field of battle. I will fight for him, for you, and  for freedom everywhere.

You will always be in our lives. Please stay in touch. We will always be in your corner. Pam and I plan to retire in Idaho and would love for you to visit  us so we can take you rafting and mountain climbing.

Very Respectfully,

Doug.

“Marine Major Doug Zembiec was killed May 11th while standing beside his fellow comrades in battle in Baghdad. He mailed this letter days before he gave his life.”

His life and the many lives of those lost  were not given in vain. They were given for us, for freedom, for  the promise of a better tomorrow.  Remember: We are free because of the brave.

This season as you enjoy those freedoms. Stop and give thanks for those who fight to ensure  we remain free. We live in the greatest country in the world. As Americans we are the light that guides freedom everywhere. We stand as reminder to the world that we shall live free or die. We know the beauty of freedom, with each breath we are free!

The next time you see a soldier, stop and smile. Shake his/her hand. Give them thanks. For they are the brave. The world needs hero’s always. They remind us of what perhaps is best in men. They remind us that there is no greater love than he that would lay his life down for another.

And so tonight as you lay your head upon your pillow. Give thanks for all we have. Pray for those you love, pray for peace. And than take a moment, and Pray for the Brave…Because they Pray for you.  

God Bless.

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: "FREEDOM" - 4th of July Tribute!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 04:03:00 PM »
Amen, God Bless.....

Semper Fi
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 05:08:00 PM »
Good words that should not be forgotten.  Thanks for posting Pete.  May God bless and protect our troops.

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 06:09:00 PM »
God Bless...
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 06:25:00 PM »
Amen and God Bless
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline LouCompton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 07:59:00 PM »
Lost for words but certainly not respect and honor for those that fight for us and especially those who have paid the ultimate price for our freedom.
Don't sit around and let things happen to you. Instead get busy and start making things happen FOR you. Get involved!

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 08:05:00 PM »
As I type this response there are tears in my eyes. As a retired US Navy Chief I salute all of my brothers in all the armend services. Indeed, the truly brave. May God protect them all and guide them to swift victory.

Danny
OMC(SW) Retired
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 08:12:00 PM »
Keep this post alive!!! If you've ever attended a military funeral and heard "Taps" played for the brave, maybe everyone would understand what sacrifice really is.

Peter

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 08:20:00 PM »
Bravo for posting this. I salute all my fallen brothers and sisters. They are truly HEROS.

Donald
SGT USAF  1972-1976
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 08:46:00 PM »
"Heros never die, they stay alive in us!

Offline STOBBER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 09:03:00 PM »
God bless them all ! May peace come soon .

Offline CJ Pearson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 09:31:00 PM »
Thanks Peter.. Excellent Job. God Bless

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 10:34:00 PM »
That was a worthy read Peter.  As a vet with family and close friends at war, that was poignant.  Also, we lost 9 firefighters a few blocks from my house recently and we need not forget the brave back home either.

I just called my nephew in Texas whose Dad is in Iraq to wish him a happy 10th birthday and he proudly told me he was shooting a bow and becoming a hunter.  Spreadin the love....Ha!

God bless the brave.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2007, 10:56:00 PM »
Awesome! Keep the faith Brutha!

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2007, 12:27:00 AM »
As I fight back tears after reading this, I think of my two girls who are able to grow up in a country like America because of men like this. Freedom is easy to take for granted. Let us never forget why we have freedom and those who have given all so that we can live in this great country.

God bless our troops and our country.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2007, 11:41:00 AM »
Great Post, got me all teary eyed. As a USAF Vet I feel a connection to all our Vets, and my Prayers are with them more that ever in these Dark Days as Evil Marches across the World. I'm too old to go back in person, so I'm told, but I meet a lot of people in my work, and I try to explain the importance of what is going on in the World. It's scary how many people just don't know much except biased media taglines, and even worse don't seem to care. Most are too busy playing with their cell phones and thinking about the next party or date. The President should lift the restrictive Rules of Engagement that get our people killed. However the Dems (and a few Republicans) would just throw-up their hands for political gain. Iraq is the frontline in the overall war. The enemy is everywhere, including amoung us, thanks to open borders etc.. Any retreat, or defeat will enbolden them everywhere, including here. Doctors that are willing to blow themselves up to kill us should be a wake-up call to the naysayers, alas it seems nothing will get thru to them. It's up to people who love and cherish our freedoms to do what we can on the home front, by making our case to those we talk to, and most importantly at the ballot box. Social Security, abortion, and all the other issues are important, but mean nothing if we lose our freedom and security. Keep the "Surrendercrats" out of office, don't let them throw the Sacrifices of our Heroes away, and our security with it. The Bravest fight over there, the rest of us must pull our weight here. In a perfect world it wouldn't be neccessary to compete amoung ourselves to maintain our freedom's and way of life, it would be a given. However, it's not a perfect world. GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS, who risk it all, everyday, for us! Let us all do what we can to support THEM.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2007, 11:52:00 AM »
I salute Doug, and all that serve ...mark... truly a good read!...Doug a true hero..no not in vain...Semper Fi..
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2007, 01:16:00 PM »
TTT

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2007, 09:34:00 PM »
I just finished visiting with my little brother, a Captain with the 3rd SF group at Ft Bragg. He's due to go back to work soon. I want to thank you for the tears in my eyes. It's pride and love that brings my emotions up. He feels the same way, and he too knows who he's risking his life for. God bless our men and women doing what needs to be done!
Mike Davenport

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2007, 01:41:00 AM »
Please tell your "kid" brother that many of us and especially me thank him for his bravery! He is what is best in men!

Peter

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©