3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wool sock question  (Read 389 times)

Offline Lowrider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Wool sock question
« on: November 28, 2011, 07:52:00 PM »
While sitting on stand and not moving my feet get very cold. For those that wear wool socks, do you wear them by themselves are is better to have some type of liner sock underneath?

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wool sock question
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 08:05:00 PM »
Hey Philip,

I only wear merino wool socks.  If it gets real cold i will wear a light pair and slip a heavier pair on top.   The best thing you can do to help prevent cold feet is to put deodorant on the bottoms.  I can't believe how much it helped prevent my feet from sweating, which is always the beginning of cold feet.  

I hope your taking good care of my bow!

Tim

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 08:16:00 PM »
Same as Tim, light merino under a heavier merino. I dont use any liner socks anymore.Try Using the chemical heat packs like toe warmers. For me having them can make or break a hunt.  Make sure your boots dont fit too tight, that will freeze you up too.

Everybodys feet are different, just because one guys feet are warm in a sock or boot surely doesnt mean the next guy will. My circulation has sucked since I was 15.
David M. Conroy

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 08:17:00 PM »
I always wear a poly liner sock. Really helps with the moisture transfer, I find. A little extra warmth too. I have trouble with my feet and hands with the cold. Good insulated boots and mitts is the only way to go. Bought some hot hands heat packs, but never got cold enough here to try them. Yet.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Stump_pounder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 08:21:00 PM »
I wear a pair of silk socks then the wool over the top and it seams to keep my nice and warm
Wes wallace recurve 58#@29
Bear Kodiak static recurve 70#@28
PBS member

Offline DustinNWA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 08:22:00 PM »
Ditto on the dual merino wool. A very BIG thing to consider is that boots fit differently with two pairs of socks on. A good fit with one pair can be too tight with two. Boots that are even just a little too tight will cut off circulation and cause very cold feet.
56" Striker Stinger TDL 51# at 27"
If you're looking down a sight, and pulling a trigger, it aint a bow.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 08:24:00 PM »
I wear a poly or less thick wool to walk to my stand. I then put a heavy pair over them. Just remember to do it on the ground. It's a pain in the tree.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 08:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by Stump_pounder:
I wear a pair of silk socks then the wool over the top and it seams to keep my nice and warm
x2, I do the same also top and bottoms underwear  :thumbsup:  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »
+1 Tim   I use a strong anti-perspirant (Mitchum roll-on) to keep my feet from sweating which can be a real problem if you are wearing rubber/Miuck type boots.

I like a thin merino sock liner with my usual full cushion boot socks (Darn Tough). Occasionally a chemical hand warmer between the liner and the sock if sitting in a treestand. The anti-perspirant is very important if using the hand warmer.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 08:30:00 PM »
From my military days, I believe I learned that sweating feet does not lead to cold feet.   Warm feet come from quality insulated boots and having plenty of room inside the boots for your toes to move around.  

I just wear one pair of quality wool socks in my vintage military Mickey Mouse boots when on stand.

Yep, everyone is different when it comes to circulation, but I bet we all forget the cold feet when that 10 pointer shows its head.
Lon Scott

Offline Lowrider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 08:49:00 PM »
Tim the bow is great. Love it.Thanks to everyone for the ideas. I did buy a pair of boots a size larger which I think will help greatly. I have noticed when wearing clothes if you have a little air space your clothes are warmer. When I put an armguard on over my sleeve and it is bound down, that area seems to get very cold.

Offline SKlometz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 09:00:00 PM »
x2 with tim

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 10:09:00 PM »
I like it when you southern guys say your cold, wool socks and the wicking socks work well together, the biggest thing is that they are loose, not tight or pulled tight to your toes. I wear big crazy looking PAC boots when it's below zero and that helps but they are not for walking. Any merino wool sock seems to be favored over others, many manufacturers of them. A good pair will last you 15 years, so don't be bashfull about spending 20 bucks on a pair, they will be better than 6 pairs from a big box store.

Offline Follower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 10:12:00 PM »
2x the deodorant trick - works great.  i also like poly liners under wool socks.
"If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross, and follow me...."  Jesus  (Mathew 16:24)

Offline Ranger44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »
Lots of good suggestions here as everyone will be a little different.  I used to get cold feet and have found a lot of things that help.  What I do these days is just wear my best fitting boots with a good pair of socks and after I get in my stand I put a pair of boot blankets on and they keep my feet toasty warm to well below zero degrees.

Offline Catskill Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »
Yes, poly under merino wool and room for air in the boot (which sometimes leads to blisters or sore feet if you walk very far).

The deodorant trick is new to me and I am definately going to give it a try.

Offline trapperjay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 10:24:00 PM »
If you are like me, the boots I've tried don't seem to cut it. Here's a system that works and is similar to what has been mentioned above . . . get a pair of Lacrosse Ice King liners in a size larger than you normally wear; get a pair of the boot blankets. When you get to stand, take off boots and exchange them for the ice kings but drop in some "hot hands" or toasty toes then put the blankets on. Works great!

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2011, 10:37:00 PM »
I wear a light wool knit sock under a heavy wool woven sock.  Usually home knit under Wigwarm 40 Below socks.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2011, 10:05:00 AM »
I have used a pair of ladies calf length stockings under my wool stockings, and they work quite well to transfer any moisture away from my feet, and they are quite warm.
They are thin enough, that they don't affect the fit of your boots, unless they are too tight to begin with.
As an additional benifit, if you need a way to keep your string from hitting your sleeve, you can always cut the foot off the stocking and pull it over your sleeve, it compresses the sleeve all they way to the elbow.
Might sound goofy, but I would rather be goofy than cold.  I'm sure that some of my hunting buddies would be more than happy to verify the "goofy" part.:-)
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2011, 02:56:00 PM »
Been said but I'll repeat the extra socks require extra room...tight fitting boots will cut circulation and that is inviting cold feet.

On metal stands, I invested in those thin ensolite or whatever its called "3-layered foam mats" that stay on the stand base!

I tell you what! They make a 20* warming effect to not have your boots in contact with a cold metal stand all day sucking the heat outa your feet! And they're way quiet, snow brushes off and won't soak in... sweet!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©