3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: snakeskin on arrows  (Read 982 times)

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
snakeskin on arrows
« on: July 15, 2007, 07:55:00 PM »
I was in the Black Hills of South Dakota this past week.  A rattlesnake was killed in the campground we were staying in.  I salvaged the skin and want to incorporate it on some hunting arrows for this fall.  Anybody know how I can do this?  Any pictures?  Chad

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: snakeskin on arrows
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 08:09:00 PM »
Guru does it!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 08:53:00 PM »
Chad, I did a piece for PA a few years ago on it called Simple Snakeskin Arrow Cresting (summer 2005) if you have the back issues, but bascically here's how I do it. Cut a piece of dried snakeskin about 1 1/2" wide and 3" long and test fit it to the shaft. Trim as needed.  Take some painters tape and rub it on the skin to remove the outer scales. Put it scale side down on a piece of cardboard and smear Tite Bond 2 or 3 on the back (been using 3 lately) and wrap it around the shaft. Once dry I take a sharpie marker and put bands on thetop and bottom edge of the skins.

There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline bowmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 09:24:00 PM »
Here's a couple of mine, I give most of them away. Very similar to Ferret but I also wrapped rubber bands around them til dry.

Wool the Natural Fiber

Offline Jason Lester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 01:13:00 AM »
Dang Mickey those are sweet. I'm working on my cane arrows for this year. I may have to try it.

Anyone got some pieces of copperhead skins they could do without. If I try it I'd like to match them to my bow.
Jason Lester

Offline Voodoofire1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 09:18:00 AM »
Here are a few I did last year to some carbons,very similar to the way the Ferret did his but I used Barge cement instead of titebond and finished them with tru-oil.I've shot them many times and they are holding up just fine.

True happiness is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have!

Offline Dan Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 10:35:00 AM »
Can't you shoot little ones and "tube" them?   :rolleyes:    :knothead:     :D

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 11:32:00 PM »
Thanks guys,  What should I put over them?  I have Thunderbird epoxy or I can do a Massey finish.  I assume you glue the skin to the bare wood.  You don't stain or seal first right?  Chad

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 11:28:00 AM »
Chad, snakeskin is like paper only tougher. I use a couple coats of true oil most often but sometimes I just leave them unsealed. Deends on if my tru-oil is still good ha ha. Figure if something happens to it I can easily replace it. I would think whatever you normally seal your bows with would be fine. I know bowyers who put oon snakeskins on the back of bows and use both the products you mentioned for finish on them.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline gwhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 11:38:00 AM »
Do you think a little thread wrapping on the front of the skin would make it last a little longer?
Jesus died for us!  Following him brings us closer to God.  Think about it!

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 11:40:00 AM »
gw I have some that I have been shooting with and hunting with for years and they are holding up fine. Some I have sent plumb thru critters, washed off and you can't tell them from the others. Thread wrapping would be a nice touch though as long as it was sealed too.

Offline gwhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 11:42:00 AM »
Ferret,
Experience is the best teacher and it doesn't have to be my own experience.  Thanks for the help.
Jesus died for us!  Following him brings us closer to God.  Think about it!

Offline dannyvp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 02:11:00 PM »
Dang guys i've been wondering this.
I just bought some wraps.
Can you use them as a wrap and glue fletch to them?  :pray:
"I make dirt look good"

Offline Craig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2007, 06:16:00 PM »
Been doing them for about 10 years, made a dozen for the PBS one year that auction off for $1,600.00. I use tite bond 2, If I'm going to stain I stain the shaft first and dip one coat of Zip Guard. It's a water base poly that I've been using for about 15 years. I take the scales off first, this makes the gluing cleaner and you don't have to worry about getting scales under the skin. I also wipe the skin down with acidtone. The thinner the skin the better never had to wrap rubber bands around to hold. After drying I lightly sand and then crest. Put a second coat of Poly on and the shaft is ready.
Here some Coral skins that I made:

Schafer Silvertip

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 10:00:00 PM »
Ferret, thanks man.  
Craig, unbelievable work.
Chad

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2007, 10:29:00 PM »
Craig, believe I've said this before..those are killer man!    :notworthy:

Offline pronghorn23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2007, 10:50:00 PM »
Wow! Those coral snake wraps are breathtaking! I couldn't stop looking at the pictures. Great job!

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2007, 11:15:00 PM »
Craig,
Simply stunning!
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline kctreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2007, 11:29:00 PM »
Craig, that is too cool.  Look like I have another project to try out this summer.

Offline Craig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2007, 09:41:00 AM »
Hey guys Thanks, The smaller snakes work the best. Thinner skins and smaller scales.
Here are some that are with diamondback skins, footed with black ebony, They have black stone heads on them , but you can't see them. These are the arrows that auction off for $1,600.

Schafer Silvertip

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©