3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: arrow for short draw light bow....  (Read 208 times)

Offline homerdave

• Trad Bowhunter
arrow for short draw light bow....
« on: November 28, 2011, 11:55:00 PM »
i have picked a bow for my son for Christmas, buut would like to have some arrows that will shoot passably well when he gets it.
so, at a 22' draw, waht aluminum (or carbon) arrow would y'all think might fly out of a #40  if i cut them to 24"?
i think the bow will be pulling about 20-22lbs at his draw (samick sage).
bear in mind, we have snow and i don't want to lose any pricey arrows until spring
i have bunches of misc. wood shafts to trade.....
tell me how close you got, not how far you shot

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: arrow for short draw light bow....
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 12:26:00 AM »
My wife shoots 40# bows too.  Carbons will work fine.  She shoots GT 35/55s, she has a 21" draw and we don't cut them unless they crack.    

They work fine, just ignore the extra.  If you cut them to 24" you'll need about 2000grn. up front.  Carbons are the toughest shafts out there. And if you cut them to 24" they will be the tuffest shafts out there, Trust Me...   :saywhat:

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 10:54:00 AM »
Check with Rob Green on here.  He is a sponsor and sells Kids arrows.  Sorry, I see you said alum or carbon, Rob does wood.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 11:04:00 AM »
you might try some Carbon Express 90's or Thunderstorms.

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 11:35:00 AM »
I outfit kids quite often, other than light spined woods left to 26 or 28 inches long the only other shaft that is predictable with kids with less than 24" draws are extra light fiberglass.  On those I have at times loaded them with heavier points or split shot to get them to fly better.  Most of the time 25 pound spine cedars with 125 grain points left a bit long will launch okay. I have a box of old target aluminums, I have not had much luck with getting them to fly for kids, they need a lot more tip weight than I can give them. Garden stakes, they will make good garden stakes.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 12:41:00 PM »
You can get .800 spine even .1000 spine arrows, they are not too bad cost wise either. I would sat an.800 spine left full length with 100 grain point would give acceptable flight, may still be stiff but as the kid grows they will get better. I will PM ya where to get them. 15/35's even fulllength would be way too stiff! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 01:03:00 PM »
My 11 year old daughter shoots an 18# recurve and I have her shooting 28" Easton Axis 600's with 150 grains up front. She's drawing about 23 inches.  Axis shafting is not cheap, but they won't break for you. Whatever you choose, bright wrap and fletching will help with arrow loss.

My main point is if you go with carbon, leave them long (28" is ok) and you may have to use heavier point, but that's ok, since you can drop point weight or cut them down slightly as the grow into bigger bow.  The narrow carbon shafting will put the arrow closer to center shot, therefore that will help "stiffen" the spine in essence, with your light setup.  Good luck.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 01:08:00 PM »
Carbon Flash go all the way down to a .1400 spine and as stiff as .570 spine. You can order them and make them up yourself for $45 a dozen thats ready to shoot, they are $30 a dozen for just the shafts.  I sent ya a PM where to get them, I would think a spine of .800 or so that way the kid can grow into them and you can add point weight and shotrten them as he grows! Shawn
Shawn

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 01:13:00 PM »
Listen to Shawn as he is usually spot on with spine. I would also recommend trying some light spined wood shafts as wooden shafts are more durable than some people give them credit for.
James Kerr

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 03:28:00 PM »
aluminum- 1214 jazz shafts
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 03:38:00 PM »
another vote for green
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline smokin feathers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 03:39:00 PM »
my kids have went through a bundle of 1/4" ramin wood with great results.
Smoke

TGMM-FAMILY OF THE BOW

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 05:19:00 PM »
The cool part about the 1/4" rammin shafts is that the kids get more of the arrows to stick into the target.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 05:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by pavan:
The cool part about the 1/4" rammin shafts is that the kids get more of the arrows to stick into the target.
Yep. That's true.

Anyone have a 1/4" Ramin shaft supplier?

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 05:28:00 PM »
Nevermind. Just hung up speaking with Terry at the Footed Shaft. I'll get the hookup tomorrow. He's out at the moment. I need some for my nephew. Gotta get up with Green too.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©