3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Long Version - 2011  (Read 779 times)

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
The Long Version - 2011
« on: November 30, 2011, 10:46:00 AM »
Well lets start this story back in June at our annual St Jude Charity Auction… I was needing a bow for our youngest daughter’s “significant other” Kevin in AK. Turned out I was the high bidder on a sweet looking longbow that my good buddy Walt Francis had donated. Since he’s only 50 miles away I called Walt and asked if I could run over and pick it up. He said that would be fine and I could pick up the one that had my name on it already also… Turns out Walt had already built one for me and had intended to surprise me with it shortly anyway. It not only looked great but turned out to be a very sweet shooter also. The Arrow Dynamics Traditionals I’d been shooting for a few years flew great out of Walt’s bow also so it looked like my old faithful Deters “Green” BBO was going to be taking a little time off.

Fast forward a few months to September 12th and one of the first times I’d been able get out. I was on Baker Mtn looking for a little group of elk a buddy had told me about. The wind was completely wrong for where the elk were supposed to be so I back tracked to an old wallow area I’d hunted a few times and threw a little light aluminum tree stand up and settled in for the evening. No elk show up but thirty minutes before dark the whitetail started filtering in.

This area had always held a few deer, here is a pic from 2005 of somebody you might recognize. It was taken not 50 yards from the wallow…

And another from I think 2002 when I hunting this same wallow and called one of the first wolves in the area in with a rabbit squealer…

Sadly this whole area was burnt off in our big fire back in 2006, now the aspens have come back thicker than hair. Apparently the whitetails really like the security and browse this provides because they have come back almost thick as the aspens. In all there were eight does and five bucks by the time they quit filtering out of the brush. Since it was early in the season and none of the bucks had reached “shooter” status yet I got ready as the lead doe cautiously moved in to the water hole. At 15 yards she dropped her head to drink, up came my bow and off went 690 grains of arrow and three blade VPA Terminator that my buddy Mike Gerardi had gifted me. The quartering away angle was pretty severe but proved to be no problem as the arrow entered high at the back of the rib cage and exited for a complete pass thru at her opposite knee joint. The rest of the deer scattered but this old girl barely made 25 yards before piling up.

(yea I know I should smile more  ;)  I think I was wondering if the camera timer was going to go off...)

I had been a little concerned about what kind of penetration I would likely get since I was pulling just under 50#, 10# less than I normally shot. Little did I know that shortly I would be grateful for this lighter draw weight…
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Long Version - 2011
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 10:49:00 AM »
Nice commentary and great photos. Thanks for sharing.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 10:53:00 AM »
Congrats, you would think you Montana boys would be all smiles living in paradise and all.

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 10:56:00 AM »
Looking forward to following this thread as it progresses!!!
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 10:58:00 AM »
:thumbsup:
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 12:05:00 PM »
:campfire:
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 12:09:00 PM »
:thumbsup:     :campfire:    :coffee:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 12:17:00 PM »
I'm liking the long version Doug  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 12:23:00 PM »
:campfire:
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 12:33:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :coffee:
James Kerr

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 12:49:00 PM »
:pray:  More

Offline swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 01:30:00 PM »
When you said long version did you mean long wait??  :archer2:
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 01:35:00 PM »
Nice, now I see what ya meant by the long version!! I am shooting lighter weight now and am liking it also! Can't wait to hear more or read more! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 01:40:00 PM »
If that is a bow Walt "built" that is some sweet lams in the riser! Me likey!

So far so good...but inquiring minds want to know more...
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 02:13:00 PM »
Just a few days later as I was leading a couple of horses thru a gate here at the ranch when one of them decided to get stupid which caused the other one to get even stupider and I got caught in the crossfire…  Wound up with some real issued in my neck, left shoulder and elbow. It was all I could do to lift my bow much less pull it so I wasn’t going to be much of a threat to the local critters for a while.

Fast forward another couple months to November, I was still far from 100% but I was finally getting back to where I could at least draw my bow again hopefully without hurting myself further. Actually the Physical Therapist told me to do my normal activities as much as the pain would allow. I was being real careful and figured I had a shot or two at best so I started doing some stand sitting again. Mostly I was looking for a dandy whitetail I’ve been pursuing for three years now. I had seen this guy numerous times as close as 30 yards but he was either leading a charmed life or more likely just smarter than me…   ;)  I saw him once in early November this year as he snuck thru on the trail I hadn’t picked 50 yards to the East of me, After this one glimpse he went into ghost mode again. I had numerous smaller bucks coming and going in the post rut frenzy but couldn’t bring myself to drop the string on one.

In the mean time like always I’d been glassing the surrounding hills watching the mulies getting fired up for their rut which usually peaks around Thanksgiving here. With wolves, cougars and an overly ambitious local outfitter we seldom see much in the way of mature mulies but occasionally one will survive long enough. After ten days of watching and glassing I’d found a couple that were looking pretty decent thru my spotting scope from a half mile away. Since I was getting real frustrated from contrary winds and too many hours sitting in a stand I decided to do a little closer investigating up in the sage brush…

I’ve learned the hard way to be patient and wait for the right opportunity with these more mature mulie bucks. Typically you get one opportunity and if you blow it he’s going to be many times “smarter” next time. The next to last day of our general season one of the bucks I’d been watching bedded about 10:00 AM on an open knob with lots of big boulders and sage brush making for a good stalk scenario. The drawback was the five other bucks and probably 20 does that were bedded around him, you don’t know till you try right…

I was able to drive on an old ranch two track to the base of the cliffy area below the deer, this put me within a quarter mile and out of sight of them. An hour of switchbacking and angling to get the wind right and I was well past and above where I’d last seen the big guy. I crawled up behind a boulder glass and try to pick a good route between all those eyes and ears. Fortunately the whole bunch were above where the terrain dropped off sharply for a probably 300’ to the river below. The wind was good so I’d be able to get pretty close before having to worry about being busted, the biggest problem was four inches of noisy crusty snow. I spent another hour back tracking and moving at a snails pace thru the snow and sage brush. Finally I eased up behind a chokecherry bush I’d picked earlier that should have put me within spitting distance of the herd…
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 02:25:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Mick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 02:41:00 PM »
What a great story so far.......    :)

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 03:24:00 PM »
It's getting good now.!........   :thumbsup:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 03:33:00 PM »
Great story, gotta love Montana. Probably closet thing hunting wise to Alaska where I lived for 25 yrs.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 03:46:00 PM »
Doug,I love stalking stories.Great hunt!  :clapper:
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement