3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Long Version - 2011  (Read 777 times)

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Long Version - 2011
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 06:11:00 PM »
As I peeked over the edge and around the brush there was nothing there… There were still several feet of ground rising in front of me but it was obvious that the deer had moved. The strange thing is I would have bet when they moved they would have come over the edge toward me heading to a spring that was just below me coming out of the hill side. So much for the best laid plans…

I started trying to act like a real slow moving rock and crawled on up the hill with very little cover toward where the deer had to have gone. As I topped out I brought my binocs up and sure enough a couple of smaller bucks broke out 40 yards to my left and went bouncing up the hill in a panic. This is where I start liking the mulie rut, I hurried on over the hill to look into the next draw and there was so much chaos and confusion that the rest of the herd hadn’t even noticed the two little guys bounding up the hill. Sure enough the rest of the herd was bunched and milling around a hundred yards away.

It was obvious that one particular doe was in heat as the big guy just wouldn’t leave her alone unless it was to charge after one of the other bucks when they got too close. I’d been in this situation before and knew that that one doe was the key to success. To “my” buck at that time nothing else in the world mattered. I eased on in trusting in my camo and slow movements to keep from being busted. At 70 or 80 yards I figured I’d pushed my luck far enough and just hunkered down to wait.

In the next hour I almost talked myself into sneaking back out several times but was enjoying the show and it’s impossible to know when Lady Luck might choose to smile on you. I didn’t have much longer to wait when the doe either decided she’d had enough or was just looking for some privacy and headed down the draw below me. Of course Mr. Buck was right behind her. The doe led him across to my right around a small boulder covered mound. As soon as they went out of sight I jumped up intending to get around the opposite side of the mound and head them off at close range but when I got there they were nowhere to be seen. The most likely place they went was over the edge onto the steep slope I’d come up earlier so I moved as quickly and quietly to the edge as I could.

Sure enough as I looked over both stood broadside only 20 yards away. I brought up my bow and let fly at what should have been a gimme but never took into consideration the steep downhill angle. I couldn’t believe it as I watched the arrow zip right over his shoulder into the brush below. Both deer bounded to my right not realizing what was going on and stopped again at around 30 yards and looking up the hill. The buck was still broadside and it felt right so I drew back again trying to bear down a little better this time. I watched at the Grzzly tipped arrow zipped thru him at the perfect elevation but just at the back of the rib cage. The wind was gusting across the hill from right to left and had carried the arrow 6” or so from where I was aiming. Both deer bolted up the hill passing me again not 20 yards away heading back toward the main herd.

They both went into the draw then the doe came out the far side but not the buck, I eased up just in time to see him bedding down in the heavy sage brush on the far side. I hunkered down for a while and watched not being able to see anything but his horn tips as his head laid flat down on the ground. I was hoping for a liver hit so sat for 20 minutes or so then circled around to get the wind and put me where I could sneak up on his hiding spot. It probably took another 20 minutes to ease up within seven or eight steps of him with an arrow on the string. I slowly rose up from a crouched position drawing at the same time intending to get another arrow in him if it was needed. Things happened fast in the next three seconds as all of a sudden his head swung around and he bolted out of his bed. I raised the bow, let fly and was disgusted to see my arrow bury into the dirt just under his chest. I just stood there kicking myself as he bounded away thru the sage.

He slowed and quickly bedded again a hundred yards away acting like I wasn’t even on the same mountain. It was obvious he was hurt badly and once down in the sage was out of sight so I immediately started stalking his new location again. I put one of the big three blade VPAs on the string and quickly moved in. He was bedded facing me this time and had his head up looking around but it was still behind enough sage that apparently he couldn’t see me. At ten yards I stood and waited for several minutes hoping he’d put his head down so I could raise up to get a shot down into his vitals but he just kept staring off to where I’d been earlier. I finally found a hole thru the sage that I figured I could get an arrow thru. I slowly drew focusing on the hole and watched as for the first time all day my arrow hit exactly where I wanted.

The buck exploded out of his bed with the arrow buried in his throat. He went over the edge heading down the steep slope again. I ran to the edge and got there just in time to see his nose plow into the snow as he slid to a halt facing down the hill.

After almost five hours since the beginning of the stalk it was finally time to breath a sigh of relief. I’m sorry to say it wasn’t one of the best days of shooting I’d experienced but it was very satisfying having the buck on the ground after a being laid up most of the fall and the long stalk had come to a positive end.  

Thanks for following along and hope you enjoyed my story…
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 06:25:00 PM »
Now that's what I call a proper story well told!
Congratulations Doug - he's a beauty!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 06:26:00 PM »
Way to go Doug!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2011, 06:30:00 PM »
Congrats Doug , Great story and a very fine buck . Drew
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2011, 07:01:00 PM »
Congrats Doug, hope your recovery speeds right along.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Tique

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2011, 07:12:00 PM »
Congratulations on a fine buck! Good story telling too.  :thumbsup:
Untested ideas are not facts.

Offline Ray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2011, 07:15:00 PM »
Thats a beautiful old deer Doug.Thanks for the story and pics.Did you find out how old a buck he was?

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »
Very nicely done, and well told.   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  Congrats.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »
Well worth the wait Doug ! Thanks for sharing with us.   :campfire:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »
Congrats on the nice buck

doug77

Offline swifty99

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2011, 08:05:00 PM »
Great story, very nice buck

Online Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2011, 08:06:00 PM »
You are a tough bird Doug.  Way to get after it!

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2011, 08:12:00 PM »
Good job Doug!!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2011, 08:12:00 PM »
Congrats Doug!!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline 3Under

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2011, 08:33:00 PM »
Thanks for the detailed and exciting story Doug. Great looking buck too!!
Larry
PBS,KTBA,HCB,UBK

...  When thru the forest glades I wander and hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees, when I look down from lofty mountain grandeur and hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze, ...How great Thou art!

Offline Cookus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2011, 08:33:00 PM »
Good shooting and congratulations!   Thank you for sharing.
West Virginia Bowhunters Association
PBS Associate Member

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2011, 08:35:00 PM »
Great story Doug I will finish up on iot after I get mine up!
Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings
Honesty is something you cant wear out. Waylon Jennings

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2011, 08:50:00 PM »
Now THAT'S what I wanted to hear!!!!!!

Congrats SIR!!!!!!!!

:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline smokin feathers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2011, 08:52:00 PM »
Congrats!! great story.
Smoke

TGMM-FAMILY OF THE BOW

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2011, 09:07:00 PM »
How great was the story, experience and reward!!!!!!!!!

Congrats and much thanks for sharing.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©