3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thinking of switching to all ladder stands?  (Read 611 times)

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
Thinking of switching to all ladder stands?
« on: November 30, 2011, 02:40:00 PM »
Lately I've been thinking of switching to all ladder stands. Right now I have the cheap chain on stands and climbing sticks. The seats on the chain on stands I have are really uncomfortable and I just find ladder stands easier to use and more comfortable to sit in for long periods of time. I don't want the fancy ladder stands, just the basic cheaper ones. My question is most cheaper ladders are 15 to 17 feet tall to the seat. With my sticks I would just keep adding sections to get as high as I could in the tree. I'm curious as to what kind of success the ladder guys have? And has anyone who has used both noticed any difference? And does anyone have any tips as to what size or kind of tree works best with "hidding" the ladder stands or just set up in general? The sticks and chain on stands don't seem to stick out as much. Maybe some pics of other peoples ladder stand sites with a description of how high the stand is would be helpful.  Thanks!
Keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thinking of switching to all ladder stands?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 02:43:00 PM »
I guess I haven't really noticed any difference but I've only minimally hunted out of a ladder stand.

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 02:48:00 PM »
I find ladder stands are more difficult to put up unless you have a buddy to assist.  A major disadvantage is you cannot adjust the height of a ladder stand as you can a portable to make it fit where you want it in a tree.  Maybe you should consider purchasing treestands that are more comfortable.  I like the Rivers Edge stap on stand with foot rest.  You can sit it all day and have far more platform room than you will have with any ladder stand.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline kpete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »
OOps. Pushed the wrong button at the wrong time.
stickbow,
I love ladders more and more. I have used steps and ladder plus hang-ons.  Moving toward ladders more and more.  I used one this year that is only 10 feet high and killed a deer.  Same day another deer walked within 3 feet of the ladder.  Another ladder stand I have has the ladder within 15 inches of another tree trunk. Tracks in the snow show multiple deer walking between the tree and the ladder-they almost have to touch the tree or the ladder to get through.
I don't know if I would add sections beyond what is specified-might not be made for the extra height.
I love the ease of getting in, the comfort, and the deer don't seem to mind the ladder.  I use a seperate pair of gloves to grab the rungs to climb up and spray them down before I put them on, rubber boots.  Use the safety harness.
The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever-Isaiah 40:8

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 03:09:00 PM »
Kirk, I was thinking about that adding sections stuff too.  I think I'd want 2 braces to the tree instead of just the one that they come with if extra sections of ladder were added.

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 03:14:00 PM »
I searched the pow wow and found some other helpful info on the topic. Curious to maybe see some other peoples ladder stand set ups and what their success is like.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 03:21:00 PM »
One of the Wensels talked of a section with just push together coming apart on the way up...top tied in and the bottom section sunk in the ooze and separated under weight. Recommended wire ties to hold the sections together...or was it "tie-wire"?

Second, I've hunted several recently and the bars interferred with shooting with a canted bow.

Third, they don't seem to bother critters much, but put a human body in one and they seem to notice a lot quicker than higher hang ons...and you can bury a hang on above limbs and with cover.

Joe Lasch has some neat ladders with long foot pieces and longer seats (than most) that "FOLDED UP"---way cool! But alas, discontinued models from Cabellas, but that surely made a big difference as my ar$e gets tired and I have to stand periodically, but don't like being 3' away from the tree or having to climb up on the top part to stand and make all that motion...

My $.02
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 03:25:00 PM »
I've tried the ladder stands but they are not for me.  very hard to put up, you stick out like a sore thumb and, all I've tried were noisey.

just my 2 cents

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 03:30:00 PM »
Thanks Doc.  I wasn't gonna get the kind that had shooting rails. I agree they get in the way.  The new ones come with those pins that go thru and lock the ladder pieces together.  My sticks have the same thing. Thanks for the info to consider.

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 03:42:00 PM »
Back on the farm we have pretty much all ladder stands.  I'd say they are 12-13' high.  Later in the season with not as much cover behind me the deer sometimes pick me out.  But, for ease of hunting I feel they are the best.  I think as the season goes further and leaves start to fall, a guy almost needs to go up higher to keep himself hidden.
>>>--------->

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 03:43:00 PM »
I'm not a fan either,BUT....a guy I hunt with loves them and can hide one of those monstrosities very well into a hemlock or pine.

I'll try and snap a pick next time I'm by one of his stands.
David M. Conroy

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 03:53:00 PM »
If I owned my own land, I would have ladder stands all over the place. I have killed two deer with trad bows while hunting from ladder stands. One was a two-man ladder and the other was a 10 ft. ladder. I like them because of convenience, quietness, and the quickness of getting in and out of the woods.

Worst thing about'em is they aren't very mobile so if you hunt on different properties a lot then climbing stands are the only way to go.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline JLeMieux

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 04:32:00 PM »
I have a couple ladder stands I hunt from. I prefer lock-ons but depending on the situation the ladder is sometimes better. One is just the basic $50 15 ft. But it is in the middle of a swamp on a slight ridge that deer use to travel. The ridge is only a foot higher than the surrounding area, if that, but it's enough for them to use. The surrounding trees are not big enough to support a lock-on and a taller ladder would put you above what little cover is available.

The other spot is on the edge of the swamp where deer travel the edge. One tree is in the perfect location with the most cover but makes a gradual "S" from about 16-22 ft. I just can't get a lock-on to work so I have one of the 18 ft brush ladder stands with the narrow ladder there. Not comfortable but I can make it a few hours.
Acadian Woods TD Recurve 58 @ 28
Acadian Woods Recurve 55 @ 28
Acadian Woods Tree Stick 60 @ 27
Acadian Woods Tree Stick 47 @ 28
Martin Hunter Recurve 50 @ 28

Offline Don Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 05:09:00 PM »
Around here you will be better off hunting off the ground if you can't get highher than 15 foot. I go about 22 feet and got busted twice this year. I would like to be lower but the deer will pick you out about 75% of the time. As said before, ladder stands are hard to put up without help, hang out like a sore thumb and in my opinion dangerous to put up, if not very careful. The few I've hunted from are noisey but may be the brand. I use hang-ons with climbing sticks. I also use a climbing rope with purresit( spelling) rope. NEVER leave the ground without a restraint. A buddy at work told me last night " I use ladder stands so I don't need a harness". As I told him " If you don't use a harness, your an idiot". You owe it to your family to stay safe. They depend on you . Sorry,I'm off the soap box now. If ladder stands work for you, get good quality and be safe. Good hunting, Don

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 06:06:00 PM »
I do have a couple ladders up and I somewhat agree with above, they can be noisy, they are the worse to move. they stick out (but nobody wants to steal them because well they suk to move)

also I find if your sitting on the top and you go to stand you havealmost NO room to move your feet around and if you turn your foot anyway it hits the bar on the side and makes a small thump sound-- I need to remember to not move my feet at all when I'm in them.  

they are the easiest to get in and out of and I do feel safer I guess in one..
"Us vs Them"

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 07:08:00 PM »
I use both.  Of course ladders are much heavier and one generally doesn't want to pack them very far.  Not as much room for your feet and a little less maneuverability overall compared to hang ons.  Very comfy though, and the easiest to get into an out of.  

15-16 feet is great plenty for height.  I don't go any higher than that with my climber or hang ons.  

As with all my stands, I try to place them in trees with multiple trunks where they and I am less likely to be seen.  

I'm 65 now and starting to use ladder stands a little more for their ease of use.  Still spend 75% of my tree stand time in climbers or hang ons though.

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »
I know you didn't ask this but I gotta say I can't see the fasination with ladder stands these days. I've had a few and sold or gave away them all. I just don't get it for all the reasons stated above , give me a cheap set of steel rapid rails and a large chain or strap on stand with a good seat cushion.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 07:43:00 PM »
I've thought about buying one of the new Ol'Man ladders.  They have the same net seat as my climber and it is the most comfortable seat I have ever sat on by far.  You might check them out.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 08:05:00 PM »
I'm a ladder fan. As long as you have relatively straight trees, it's eay to find a spot. I like the cheap ones that are 15' and usually only $50 after season.

If your hunting somewhere that you can leave a stand, theyre great.  Wouldn't want to pack one in very far on my back though.

As for the height, I prefer it to being higher in the tree. I don't like the angle of a 25' shot, 15' is just about right

Offline guspup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 08:17:00 PM »
Personally, I love ladder stands. I own 6, I buy them from Dicks when they are on sale for 50 bucks. I hide them in Hemlocks, brush in the ladder part (remember, there is no such thing as a straight line in nature)and put burlap and pine bows around the upper part. I have them place around out property, and can stalk in carrying not much heavier than a bottle of water, pick my stand for the sit based on the wind or whatever, and feel safe climbing up and being off the ground. I have a couple lone wolfs, a summit, and a bunch lesser brands, but I like my ladder stands by far the best.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©