3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thinking of switching to all ladder stands?  (Read 609 times)

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thinking of switching to all ladder stands?
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2011, 02:40:00 PM »
I prefer ladder stands in the 10 to 12 ft. range. Anything over 12 ft is differcult for 1 person to put up safely. I usually buy the 15/16 ft models(Cabela's), rated to 300, pounds and only use two of the three sections. No side rails for me. I just feel safer in a ladder stand. Never had a problem getting deer close with a 10 to 12 ft ladder.

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »
We use them in places that have proven to produce deer every year. Basically they are "permanent" stand locations.

We have a ton of red cedar growing here and the best way to hide the ladders is finding a big hardwood with a medium cedar growing close enough to touch it. The other way we do it is to find a post oak or black oak with tiny little twigs shooting off of it all the way up the trunk. Those little twigs hold their leaves all year and make ladders disappear.

Scott
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2011, 08:53:00 PM »
I should also add that we started using them because one of our guys fell from a power pole several years ago and now has both ankles fused. He has trouble with getting in and out of hang ons, and he simply can't use a climber.

They work great for him and we have come to love them

Scott
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2011, 09:06:00 PM »
One thing I'd keep in mind is it seems everyone leaves them out year around cause they are so dang hard to hang carry etc. I'd sure be skeptical of anything left chained, straped to a tree or any metal left out year around. JMHO.Just wonder how many "tree stand falls" we will hear about in the next few years when all these 50 dollar foreign stands have been exposed a few years strapped to a constantly growing swaying tree?
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline amazonjim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2011, 09:14:00 PM »
If you want a great hang on and very comfortable try the millenium, easy to set up use buck steps or rivers edge ladder to get up the tree. A little pricy buy really comfortable and easy to shoot from

Offline blazelefty7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2011, 09:23:00 PM »
I've been leaning more and more towards using ladder stands too.  I slipped off the middle step of a lone wolf stick when it was raining out about a month ago and fell about 8 feet getting beat up on the way down pretty good. Tore a hole in my sleeping indian jacket too.  

I always wear my harness in the tree, but I'm looking into prussiks from here on out.  Ladder stands just seem safer getting into.

Also, it really depends on the tree setup and area you want your stand in.  Many times you can hang a ladder stand in a "hole" where there might be vines or other stuff growing around the lower sections of the tree.  

We have a stand on the property called the Booner stand...two booners have been killed out of it the past 10 years.

Offline jax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2011, 09:49:00 PM »
I think it depends on where you put em. No difference in a hang on or ladder if they are placed out in the open. I can hide a ladder anywhere you can hide a hang on. I have a ladder I  have killed a deer out of for the past 10 years

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2011, 10:38:00 PM »
Like most things, treestands are a compromise, and a ladder can be a great choice in many situations.  I don't like the cheap ones, tho.  I stand as much as I can and insist on a fold up seat and a platform that goes all the way to the tree.

Pa, don't neglect to wear a full harness and a full length tether line from the ground all the way up is the way to go.  Just go read Barry Wensel's "Close call" thread.

Kevin, thanks for your report on the Rivers Edge Oasis; I've been thinking about one of those.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2011, 11:58:00 AM »
Fletcher,  I always wear a full body harness. I've never used the sliding knot tether thing though. Where would you fasten the top and bottom or the ropes to? This is a different topic though and one I'll have the search the archives for.

I like the info recieved so far.  Good stuff.
Keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©