3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My camo glows? Solution on page 3  (Read 505 times)

Offline ken denton

• Trad Bowhunter
My camo glows? Solution on page 3
« on: November 30, 2011, 02:43:00 PM »
After bowhunting, I walk in front of my game camera to see how camoflaged I am. I just started using game cameras for bowhunting a couple of years ago and I started noticeing some of my camo glowing! I had bought some new pattern this year and I look like a space man on the moon.
I then went back to my old camo and it was dark under the lens of the trail camera. My arm guard and the black knit on my gloves turned white?
My question is are deer seening me glow in low lite?
When I had my new camo on before I switched back, deer were looking up in the tree at me. We don't have as many leaves as last year.
Most all this new camo is not made in the states and I am wondering if it is the ink or the material?
I have 3 pictures on my email but I don't know how to get them to Photobucket. I can email them to some one if they will post them for me.Any one else have this problem? Ken Denton
"Arrows into the wind", What a wounderful sight!!!

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My camo glows? Solution on page 3
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 06:37:00 PM »
Maybe the camo has some UV brighteners in it. Did you wash it in detergent?

Offline KHALVERSON

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 06:39:00 PM »
use sport wash
no uv brighteners
or wash in unsented dish soap and triple rinse

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »
I read an article in the latest NRA hunter magazine that basically said deer are pretty much colorblind so the us brightners don't matter.

I've had deer not pick me off the ground in full solid orange in late season.  

Movement or wind is usually what gets me busted.

Offline ken denton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 07:00:00 PM »
Washed it in Dead Down Wind deturgent! Ken

Offline ALwoodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 07:10:00 PM »
I had the same thing happen to me with a nylon shirt that I was wearing.  I have also been busted by deer when I didn't think I should have been. I am not sure what is causing it but I don't wear that shirt hunting anymore.

Offline guspup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 07:52:00 PM »
I have noticed the same and have had the same concerns. It seems related to the polyester fibers. I tried washing in different detergents but had the same results. Wool fibers seem to be ok. I to am looking for a more scientific explanation to this. I wear leafy wear, and other than the 'white bush' in the trail cam, the deer don't seem to mind really. but...... we're all trying to be more invisible to our prey.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »
The game cameras use IR flash.  The complete opposite end of the color spectrum from the UV that the animals are sensitive to. I would imagine the same Camo does not glow under UV light.  Got any disco techs nearby to check?     :D

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 08:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by Steve O:
The game cameras use IR flash.  The complete opposite end of the color spectrum from the UV that the animals are sensitive to. I would imagine the same Camo does not glow under UV light.  Got any disco techs nearby to check?      :D  
BINGO!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline ken denton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »
Overandunder is going to post some of my photos. Ken

Offline guspup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 09:25:00 PM »
Thanks guys, does this apply to pictures taken during day light as well? I think I blend in really well till I see me on the memory stick. Maybe it uses IR not just at night?

Offline Trad-Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by JDinPA:
I read an article in the latest NRA hunter magazine that basically said deer are pretty much colorblind so the us brightners don't matter.

I've had deer not pick me off the ground in full solid orange in late season.  

Movement or wind is usually what gets me busted.
Color blind and or color(s) have nothing to do with ultra violet light or the dye used in the manufactor or washing of a garment.

That in short is another added benefit of wool...

You need to get the dye out of the material...it may take more than one or two washings.  A black light bulb will help you see just how much you glow.

While the "glow" may not spook deer nothing else in the woods glows...so you may just get and hold their attention.  Not good either way.  Hard to move during a stare down...

BTW...the UV brighteners are added to catch consumers...kind of like all the colored luers are on the shelf to catch fishermen...

I used the UV killer in the past, I know it works (black light).  Haven't had to do it since zI went to wool...

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 10:03:00 PM »
Here are Ken's pics

“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline ken denton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 10:21:00 PM »
Ken's pictures are;
left top--Preditor camo
Middle top--3D Seclusion(Arm guard and black knit show up white)
Right top--Camo Vest from Cabalas
Left bottom--Old camo flannel shirt and flece pants

Offline Trad-Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 10:40:00 PM »
The flash is not infra-red...the triggering mechanism uses infrared technology to differentiate between a live animal and anything else at ambient temperature.  Sensing the temperature difference is what triggers the camera.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 10:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by Trad-Man:
The flash is not infra-red...the triggering mechanism uses infrared technology to differentiate between a live animal and anything else at ambient temperature.  Sensing the temperature difference is what triggers the camera.
No, many cameras use infrared led's for the flash.  Look at any trail cam review site or read many of the product descriptions.

"Our collection of trail camera pictures will give you an excellent representation of the quality of picture to expect from each model.  You can also view our customer photos for both educational and entertainment value!

Infrared vs. Incandescent

Does the camera use a standard incandescent flash or infrared flash?  Incandescent will give you color night photos, but is also subject to spooking some game.  Infrared is color daytime and black and white at night but does not spook the game (normally)."

Even the cheapest Bushnel I could find has an infrared flash...

http://www.trailcampro.com/bushnelltrophycam50mpxl.aspx

I have seen this many times with many camos and infrared flash that is so common on the trail cameras of today. I wouldn't worry about it.  I'd be more worried about glowing under UV (black) light.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2011, 02:46:00 AM »
You can check your camo and other stuff with a cheap black light. You will be surprized what shows up. But all that stuff in the woods show up also. Would be realy cool to realy know how they do see.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline Trad-Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 07:01:00 AM »
I stand marginally corrected... 8^)

My experience with UV technology and trail cameras is limited to stopping a clock and not taking a picture.

Very true, if the flash emits UV light then anything with UV brighteners/dye will glow.  

No different than black light art durning the psychodelic 60's and 70's....anybody here remember those days?  As mentioned a black light bulb from the hardware store in a dark room will tell the tale.

Try the atsko product "UV killer" it works.  I sprayed in a dark room with the black light bulb and the result is obvious and instantanious.

Offline Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 09:10:00 AM »
If you are seeing the image then it was taken in visible light.  The various IR and UV devices convert it to wavelengths humans can see.  We don't really know how a deer's vision perceives such things into the UV spectrum . . . but it's a good bet that Cabela's vest stands out as lighter to them as well.  Supposedly deer see some blues & violets as "colored", but I don't know that it necessarily alarms them as there aren't many blue toned predators in their lives.

On a side note - when I spot someone in camo it's usually as a big dark human shape.  From B&W images I have taken in the past I now choose a lighter camo with large areas of contrast to break up my outline vs. ultra detailed "busy" patterns.  The old Winona, for instance, seemed to be great stuff.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©