3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My camo glows? Solution on page 3  (Read 506 times)

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My camo glows? Solution on page 3
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 09:26:00 AM »
I think a big factor in what causes some clothing to stand out more than others, regardless of camo pattern is contrast. Many of the newer fabrics are very reflective of light, smooth and sometimes shiny fabric. Contrast that with fabrics such as wool and fleece, which are much softer, do not shine in any light, and are also much quieter. Many of the new dyes used to combat fading are so bright they simply don't blend as well, and thus reflect more light.

3D camo seems to help because the surface is not flat, this it breaks up the prolem with refectivity as well as helping to break upyou outline.

I wash all my hunting clothes with sprt wash or with just plain water and baking soda so as to not add any brighteners or artificial scent to them.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 11:57:00 AM »
That's the same reason we couldn't use regular detergent on our DCU's in Iraq.  The UV brighteners in regular detergent make you glow in IR.  There a tons of pics on the internet that show the difference.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 02:48:00 PM »
I think the main thing is to break up your human shape.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2011, 06:49:00 PM »
My question to this is are animals really sensitive to UV brightness or is this just an excuse that we use to cover our own movement sometimes. I have never had a deer bust me as long as I was sitting still and the wind was in my favor no matter what I was wearing. (including blaze orange that has uv brightners made into it).
James Kerr

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011, 10:16:00 PM »
Once again, UV and IR are at completely opposite ends of the light spectrum.  So far from each other neither can be seen with the human eye.  It is like comparing a 1000g arrow shot from a 30# selfbow to a 70 grain bullet shot out of a .257 Weatherby Mag! NO similarities whatsoever.

Everything I have seen says game animals are sensitive to UV light...that is why they use IR flash in the game cameras.  I wouldn't worry about it.

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2011, 10:39:00 PM »
I will say this when it comes to IR, and by no means it a scientific test. While in Iraq we used IR lasers on our M4's for use at night with NVG's. Cats would chase that IR light the same as if it was a laser pointer. I think animals see things that we don't.

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2011, 11:29:00 PM »
Oh-oh. I need to change my wish list from Cabela's!!! But I already sent it to Santa!

Just kidding...I always was suspicious of all those supposedly "high tech" camo clothes made who knows where, with all kinds of Tradmarked and Patented materials with weird names.

I think I will stick to wool whenever possible...

Offline ken denton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2011, 09:12:00 AM »
The Cabelas vest was the only thing glowing! The 3D Seculision pants and LS T-shirt does not glow, so I went back to it! Ken
"Arrows into the wind", What a wounderful sight!!!

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2011, 09:31:00 AM »
I don't worry about my camo glowing because I don't wear any. This is my first year camo free and I haven't been spotted anymore by deer in plain, drab clothes than I was wearing camo in the past.

Offline stickbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2011, 09:34:00 AM »
Some great info here, I am really getting a lot from this.

Offline ken denton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2011, 10:26:00 AM »
I know I am going to get a black light and try it. Also when I buy some camo, I am going to photograph it at night with my game camera with the sale tags on and if it glows it will go back to who I bought it from. Ken

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2011, 10:34:00 AM »
Just curious. I have one question were all the pics taken with same amount of daylight? It appears that the first three are washed out with flash and the last was taken in good light.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline ken denton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2011, 11:20:00 AM »
Look at the bottom of each photo and check the time? It is hard to read, but hope you can see it. Ken

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2011, 12:24:00 PM »
A gentleman here in Waldoboro went as far as to have some lens (hand held) made that allowed only the wavelengths of light that had been found to elicit responses in tests on whitetails.  It is amazing to hold them up and look at different clothes.  Some fabrics and dyes reflect a huge amount of uv, even some that that you would not expect, like reds.  It all has to do with the dyes.  manufacturers use a lot of uv reflecting chemicals in the dyes.  We don't see uv, but it makes the colors apear brighter and sharper to out eyes.  To a deer it glows like whites do under black (uv) lights do for us.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2011, 01:44:00 PM »
Heck they smell me and here me way before they see me any way.  :biglaugh:  Interesting stuff.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline b44mag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2011, 01:54:00 PM »
im with thumper
if they see me im lucky

Offline ken denton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2011, 01:00:00 PM »
I just found the solution thru a add in American Hunter. Atsko.com 1 800 845 2728 makes and sells Sport-Wash and UV spray for 20.95 plus 7.00 shipping. They said it will work on all my camo? I just ordered it and I will let you know? Ken Denton

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2011, 02:35:00 PM »
Ken,

That answer was in the 3rd post   :D  

I am interested to see what it does to the vest for sure.  I do not think that is going to be it though.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2011, 02:58:00 PM »
Wool in greens and browns resolves this issue entirely.  Most modern camo is made of polyester and nylon which by their nature are shiny.  Throw in uv brightners and your a Christmas tree to a deer.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2011, 06:53:00 PM »
I've been using Atsko sports wash for years and  I believe it works. However, with my trail cams I also come out in what appears to be ultraviolet. However, deer, turkeys, bear, moose and caribou do not seem to have noticed. Shot a deer on the ground once from 3 yards....never saw me.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©