3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Crazing  (Read 209 times)

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
Crazing
« on: November 30, 2011, 04:01:00 PM »
I see the word "CRAZING" used on **** listings alot. Some Crazing on the limb surface etc... what do you think they mean when they use this term?

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Crazing
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 04:03:00 PM »
Sort of random cracking of the finish; usually a sign of a less than optimal refinsh job, but it happens sometimes to old factory finishes too.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 04:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by Swamp Yankee:
Sort of random cracking of the finish; usually a sign of a less than optimal refinsh job, but it happens sometimes to old factory finishes too.
Is  that generally not an issue?

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »
It's fairly common on older production bows.  Horizontal checks in the finish -- often show up as lots of close parallel lines where the limb flexes the most, usually just beyond the fade-outs on the belly side of the limbs.  Pretty ugly to look at but doesn't affect the shootability or durability of the bow.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »
Here is a pretty good example.  Some are much worse, some not so bad.  Pretty much a cosemtic issue in most cases until it gets to the point that moisture could penetrate the cracks and cause further problems.  

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 08:48:00 PM »
Whips photo shows a very common deal with older bows; but I aways called it stress lines.  Crazing to me is more random in every direction.  It's all semantics for the most part and either way most of these things are in the finish and not a problem.  I have bought quite a few good bows on the **** site; but I aways want to see a LOT of photos before pulling the trigger and don't pay much attention at all to the written descriptions.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
Crazing or stress lines on the limbs that are just in the finish aren't a worry. A good refinishing makes them look like a million dollars. I see more in older original finishes than refinishes though.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 09:40:00 PM »
Here is an example of another type of crack common in many of the older bows.  These are actually in the glass rather than the finish. Again, some are worse than others.  Some bows might just have one short crack near the riser, while others of the same model and year might be covered with them.

They can sometimes be hidden to some extent, but they really can't be removed.  Although they are in the glass itself, since they run the same direction of the limbs they are generally safe to shoot.  Lots of bows still in the woods today that have cracks like this.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Golfbuddy45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 01:01:00 PM »
I know this is an old thread but thought I would reactivate it in order to continue this often brought up discussion. There have been many posts on archery forums both in the US and Europe regarding CRAZING or those fine horizontal STRESS LINES across a bow's limb(s).  While some posts have discussed refinishing the bow's exterior finish surface to remove the lines I have yet to see a post where someone has described any means of FILLING IN the lines with some kind of acrylic or lacquer finisher as is often used in wood furniture for example.  I do wood working and have been thinking of trying some of these products on one of my bows to see if I can clear up those lines without totally refinishing a bow.  I have done total refinish jobs on recurves and have had great success making an old bow look close to new but it is a lot of work.  

Question here is:  

Has anyone here on TradGang had any experience fixing CRAZING/STRESS LINES on a bow?  If YES then what did you use?

GB45

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 05:27:00 PM »
Look for bowdoc's Restoration 101 thread...should be well covered there...a wicking super glue such as Loctite 420 will work nicely if the crack actually gets to the surface

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 08:48:00 PM »
Thanks for bringing this thread back up.
These bows are safe to shoot?
I'm asking because I have a '70 Bear Grizzly that shoots really well. I've been babying it not wanting to damage it.
They are similar to the pictures Whip shows in his first picture post of the black limb, & mine are on the back of the bow. I'd really like to shoot this bow & not worry about ruining it.
Thanks.
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©