3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How do you carry your lone wolf sticks?  (Read 306 times)

Offline perry f.

• Trad Bowhunter
How do you carry your lone wolf sticks?
« on: November 30, 2011, 06:51:00 PM »
Just wondered how you all carry your lone wolf climbing sticks to your tree? I know some of you attach them to your stand, but I'll be using a tree saddle. Just trying to get some different ideas

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do you carry your lone wolf sticks?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 07:07:00 PM »
I had a nice LW harness a few years ago where I could stack and hold them all 4 together, I loaned it to a hunting buddy and havent seen it since!

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 07:09:00 PM »
I just use a one-inch web strap long enough to loop around each end of the tied together sticks and hang over my shoulder.

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 07:10:00 PM »
Here is the harness I had;
  http://www.lonewolfhuntingproducts.com/shopping/Products/Climbing-Stick-Caddy__CSC.aspx

Sounds similar to what Orion made.

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
I do what Orion described too. I took two shoulder straps and made what Jason Kendall's link shows. I also hunt with a Tree Saddle.

Offline maxplan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 07:28:00 PM »
Over the shoulder is easy but if you are carrying a stand you can strap the whole package to a pack frame. I have a light weight, quiet Kevlar frame that I attach everything to on an elk hunt and it works well in the deer woods for your gear.
Ed G.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »
I'm like maxplan - I like to strap mine to a pack.  I have an Eberlestock X2 that works great for strapping both a stand and a set of sticks.  For just a set of sticks alone I would think Jerry's suggestion (or the caddy that LW has) would work great.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »
I have mine separated and placed in foam blocks with grooves.  The back side of the blocks have a groove for the stand upright.  All are quiet and flat.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 11:09:00 PM »
I carry mine strapped to the stand and I put my pack on the stand and carry everything in, this way I can try a spot and stalk on the way.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 12:10:00 AM »
Dan, you mine showing a pic of your setup?  When I try and attach mine to the stand as LW shows it never seem to work good.  The sticks come apart and make noise.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 07:54:00 PM »
If you carry all three, or just two, take the one with the tie down strap on it and take it off and reinstall it on the other side, this way you can go through the stand and around it then back to the clasp. This way when you pull it tight to sinch it down it pulls the seat bar and the stand platform together along with tightening the sticks.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »
I can not access pics right now. . . I will try to explain.  And I think my system- 12+ years worth- is about perfect for virtually NO noise!

2 Ethafoam blocks- about 4" x 4" x 12-14" long.  On one side of the block I have four grooves cut at a depth about 1" that just fit the stick uprights (four sticks).  The opposite side of the blocks have a groove cut out in the center that fits on the stand upright.  (Before you start cutting you want to lay it out so all grooves allow for room on the sticks next to one another plus allow the stand upright groove without compromise)

One block is set on the upright near the seat, the other block on the upright near the platform.  I then set the sticks in the grooves alternating the sticks up and down just a bit so the v-brackets somewhat overlap (just a little) yet not hit one another.

I then just bungie strap them down.  Between the sticks and the stand is just enough room to stuff a vest or jacket. It all remains dead quiet and low-profile.  

For what it is worth- 1) I also zip tie the buckle end of the straps to the stick.  2) I place self stick felt on all the buckles and where the buckle could possibly touch the sticks.  3) I file off all the sharp edges of the v-brackets so they do no scrape the tree. 4) I also have backpack straps  AND a backpack hip belt installed.  

Hope that makes some sense. . . I have just this one stand.  I set up and take down every time I go in to hunt.  With a turkey vest with tools in all the pockets, I can go up virtually any tree just one time and be set up in easily under 10 minutes- most like 6-7 min.  With the hip belt I can shoot my bow if needed and hike a LONG way with no discomfort (its only total of 20# on your back/hips)

Sorry I could not post a pic.  

Good hunting
Dan
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 04:27:00 AM »
I used a insulating foam tape to make my sticks quieter. Those things were loud a heck when they bang or even touch each other.

Offline gvdocholiday

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 06:44:00 AM »
I also use a tree saddle.  I have a 2" wide nylon s trap with a sewed loop on one end and an adjustable loop on the other.  I simply wrap these loops around the tree brackets on the bottom stick and let gravity hold it secure while I sling it over my right shoulder.  Works great for me.
"Live like you ain't afraid to die....don't be scared, just enjoy the ride."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©