3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Old vs New Bear Takedown  (Read 209 times)

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Old vs New Bear Takedown
« on: November 30, 2011, 09:13:00 PM »
Quick question for you bear takedown guru's.

I'm torn between a Bob Lee Dark Archer and a Bear takedown. I'd like to have my mind made up before K-zoo in January. I feel I have a good grasp on the BL. But know little on the Bear.

For clarity, I'm splitting the bears into three categories.

- "old bears" = pre 90's
- "newer bears"  = 90's thru 2011
- "2012 bear" = the new grey diamondwood 2012 model.

Here it goes:
- Is there any major differences between the 3 types?

- I heard that bear archery started to focus harder on their traditional line's quality for the 2012 line. Any truth to this? Compare the 3 types quality, which wins out?

- would I be foolish to pass on a decent priced "newer bear td" to hold out for a "2012 model" ?

Any info on these bows in comparing the 3 would be great!

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Old vs New Bear Takedown
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 09:37:00 PM »
I have had all from 70's to 2011.

I fell in love with the grip of my 1970 TD so I reshaped the grip on my 2011. Now they are very close. Most of the 80's and later (until the 2011) had very slim grips. I had two of the 2000 two tone risers crack on me.

Safe to say my A bears are my two favorite bows.

Offline OldSkoolArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 07:08:00 AM »
I have had both the Dark Archer and a "few" Bear Takedowns. They are completely different animals. I shot the Dark Archer quite well and probably shouldn't have sold it!

The Bear Takedowns over the years have had very different grips and different feel to them. To me the Grips on the 80's - early 90's Green Stripers feel best, but there are guys out there that feel they are too thin. I had a 2011 and the grip was terrible to me. The guy I sold it too really likes it, so it is all in personal preference.

You also need to ask your self how much do you want to spend as the prices will vary greatly depending on what year/style you want.

If I knew I could get another "Red Striper" in a grip I liked I would buy one in a heartbeat. That being said I won't buy another one unless I can put my hands on it first.

Just to throw in another speed bump, there is also the question of whether you want an A Handle or a B Handle!!

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 08:35:00 AM »
I am the last guy to say anything negative about the new Bears, I am a Bear fan. But, I have concerns about how they are cutting the riser shelves. I have seen pictures of some new risers that have the shelves cut far too short of center. My friend just got one and his is not as bad as some, but it requires him to shoot a very light spined shaft. Just my opinion.
John

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 12:49:00 PM »
The 2011 TD is the black dymondwood riser with red stripe and a bubinga version is coming in 2012.  I love the grip on the 2011 TD and have no issues at all with the bow and how it shoots.  

I have read of limb stress showing up, but first I've heard on the cutting of the riser shelf problem.

Overall, I like what Bear is doing these days.
Lon Scott

Offline bswear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 01:08:00 PM »
I bought a 2011 A riser last year.  Just ordered a 2012 Bubing B riser which I may see next spring.  I shoot Rose Oak limbs but the risers are sweet. The finish on mine is a bit thin but it is very pretty.  Not as exotic as some of the custom bows made out of furniture wood but very classy look.  Nothing else is more satisfying, has more mojo, performance, etc.  Others are as nice in their own way but they don't have the pedigree.  If I wanted the absolute pinnacle of performance I would just grab a centerfire.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 02:19:00 PM »
Anyone know anything about the Bear Takedown Hunter. I won one on another site some time ago but it's too heavy for my grandsons or me.  Have a time of it finding used lighter weight limbs for it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©