3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Close of the Season  (Read 406 times)

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
The Close of the Season
« on: November 30, 2011, 11:04:00 PM »
Well today was the last day of the season for me. I had a general deer tag left in my pocket. I never really got out to hunt for a buck. Some much to hunt sometimes you have to chose. Well the antlerless season runs till the end of November and we have a bunch of does around the house. For the last three days I have been trying to fill my tag.

The weather changed and it started to blow and snow this afternoon. I almost did not go out and was ready to hang it up. I had good season which I will tell you all about at another time. But as I was looking out the window I saw a small buck poking around and that was it I had to give it one last try.

I have been busy and really needed to keep working but with fresh snow and deer moving it was all I could stand. I put on my wools grabbed my bow and tried to get out the door with out the Black Lab. He was upset and I could hear him protesting till I got about a 100yards away.

Well I had to move my blind quick for the deer where moving through a little different than I originally thought. It was 4:00 so I went at a trot. I got the blind quickly moved it and settled in. I saw a deer with in 10 minutes. About another 10 here comes a doe and she is moving. She jumps the fence and goes past the blind and I whistle to stop her but nothing. Then two little bucks come winging by after her. Well I think to myself maybe they will run her buy again. I no sooner say that to myself and her she is coming buy again.

I have my bow up and I figure she is not going to stop like I would like. But she is just at a walk now and auto pilot takes over. I just remember focusing on my spot and watching my bright fletching disapear. She turned on a dime and headed back where she came from.  That is a great feeling I knew she was dead on her feet. I got out of the blind to see if I could see her running away.

As I cleared the brush to get a better look I can see the two little bucks standing and looking at the ground. They are only 35 yards away. I thought to myself there she is. I went to the spot I hit her at and looked for some blood I never found much blood. I looked again back at the two bucks they are still looking at the ground. Just like bucks that stand over a hot doe that is bedded down. So I walk a little closer and I can see her. I approach with a knocked arrow but no need.

It truly amazes me how a double lunged animal with a sharp broadhead expires so quickly. This animal went at the most 35 yards. With both lungs collapsed they don't make it to far.  I have had deer go further with good shots from a rifle.

Well know for the long trek back to the house for the camera. Ha about 200 yards and I was there. Grabbed the camera and my knife and make the long trek back. As I get to the fence one of the love sick bucks is back standing over the love of his life. It takes a while and he decides to get gone.

I love looking over fresh killed game. This deer was just beautiful. She was all haired out for the long winter. I love looking at their  eyes  It gives me a great mental picture for when I set eyes for taxidermy. I have plenty of good reference photos but there is nothing better than to study a fresh specimen. Well on to pics and then field dressing. Oh yeah I better go back to the house to release the hounds before they blow the roof off.

So another 200 yard trek back to open the door and almost get run over. I grab some rope and we head back to do the big drag. As I finish writing the wind is blowing about a hundred miles and hour. Some times its nice to be able to hunt in your back yard.

Its been a great season and when I get a chance I fill in the middle. For know enjoy some pics of fresh snow and some good back yard scenery.
Scott Teaschner              

Heart Mountain.

Looking back at the house.

McCoulgh Peaks

Why won't she get up?

Who is that?

I am out of here!

Last day doe.

One more pic for good measure.
Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings
Honesty is something you cant wear out. Waylon Jennings

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Close of the Season
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 11:07:00 PM »
Way to go sir!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline wildgame

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 11:08:00 PM »
congrats on a great way to end the season!
"go afield with good attitude,and with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and fields in which you walk" -Fred Bear

Offline Old Chief

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 11:10:00 PM »
Excellent story and pictures, congratulations!

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 11:18:00 PM »
Great pics, and congrats on the harvest!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 12:18:00 AM »
Well done Scott, she'll eat good.

It was lookin pretty tough back in the West about dark, spect we'll be sending it on your way toward morning...  enjoy  ;)
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 12:43:00 AM »
Its all ready here! We batten down the hatches but I dont know if it will help. Sounds like the wind is going at least 100mph.
Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 01:09:00 AM »
Great deer, nice country, and i like those bright arrows!! What is the color called?

Offline tracker1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 01:23:00 AM »
Good job and I love the pics thanks for sharing

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 02:32:00 AM »
Nice deer and great pictures.  :clapper:
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 04:08:00 AM »
Way to go Scott!  That's some beautiful country you live in.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 07:19:00 AM »
Very nice Scott!  She is a beauty!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 07:29:00 AM »
Well done.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 07:52:00 AM »
The wolves didn't get that one! Good job, and stay warm!
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 07:58:00 AM »
Congratulations.... You never know until the last day....

Great pics too...

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 08:13:00 AM »
Scott, Congrats . She sure is a good looking doe. Enjoy the fruits of your hunt.
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2011, 08:19:00 AM »
:archer:
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 08:32:00 AM »
Proof that "it ain't over till it's over"

Beautiful hooch and property... excellent view.

Sometimes there is a cost with wide open spaces...and wind is one of them.

Lived up on the highline in MT one winter in a wall tent... Lord but that tent did flap no matter what I did...

Note to self: Never use a pvc frame for wall tent in open windswept Praire country!  :)

That smile sure says a lot right there, brother!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 08:34:00 AM »
Nice job Scott, and good shootin'!
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 09:33:00 AM »
David Yukon I sent you a pm but I thought I would write down what color feathers I use in case some one else was wondering. First off I love this color. Every photo taken they just POP!
There is no doubt I have a better visual with hits.

I use AMG full length feathers the color is Chartreuse. I use Onestringer 9" wraps. I cant say enough good about Onstringer and there products. In case you dont know they are a sponsor here on TG. If you tell him you are using AMG chartreuse the color matches perfect. I crest over the wrap as I would any arrow and then put a clear film over the top. Onestringer calls this film a double dog wrap. It is very durable it will outlast your feathers. When it comes time to refletch I just stick them in a tall glass of hot water. When they soften I peel it off clean up with denatured alcohol and start over. Give him a look see he has a lot of opptions.

I like to shoot my bow for the most part I try to shoot every day. It just amazes me how the human brain works like a fine tuned computer when its been exercised. This shot happened so quick like many do and all I remeber is concentrating on my spot. Every thing else just happened. I have found when I miss a game animal I usally do not have full concentration on my spot.

I like to Duck hunt and it to amazes me everytime I crumple a bird how our on board computer can calculate the lead. But all of this can be frustrating if things are not tuned correctly. Shooting is fun so just get out and practice and get solid in your form. But I am sure every one knows that.

Thanks for the possitive comments. Much appreciated.
Scott

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©