3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Some Advice on Grey Wolf Woolens and Predator Camo  (Read 242 times)

Offline Matt O

• Trad Bowhunter
Some Advice on Grey Wolf Woolens and Predator Camo
« on: December 01, 2011, 08:35:00 AM »
Hi all,

I'd like to get some Predator camo, as the camo I've been using is 15 year old fleece Timber Ghost stuff which is starting to wear through a bit. I've read pretty much all of the threads on here about GWW gear that I can find, but I just wanted to get some final advice from you all as the GWW stuff definitely isn't cheap.

I live in Virginia where the temps can range in the early season from 70's all the way down to 30 or so in Nov and Dec during the morning. The wind is usually not too bad, though we do occasionally get our share of windy days. The real kicker is, like the rest of the South, it's almost always humid - humid hot, humid cold.

Ideally I'd like to get 1 to 2 pieces of upper body clothing (I'm buying some heavier fleece Predator Brown Deception pants from a friend who has an extra pair) that would be flexible enough to keep me adequately concealed during the early deer season and spring turkey season, as well as keep me from freezing on to my treestand during Nov and Dec hunts.

I've also been going back and forth between what type of Predator camo to get, either Fall Brown or Spring Green. I know that Fall Brown is universally regarded as one of Predator's best patterns, but others have also mentioned that Spring Green is a very versatile camo for a range of climates and situations and also shouldn't be overlooked.

So, with that long background and intro, here are my questions. I know that the idea of warmth and comfort is relative and differs between individuals, but I would really appreciate any input from other members as to what kind of clothing they feel works best for what types of weather situations. (For the below questions, assume that during cold weather I would, at the very least, layer with some mid-weight merino long underwear)
 - How warm is the Wolfskin clothing with just the conformax lining (what range of temps would you say this is appropriate for)?
 - Is it more versatile for slightly warmer temps by not going with the additional Liteloft lining which is only $10 more once you already take the plunge for a lined garment?
 - Is an unlined jacket sufficient if you layer, or would this get too bulky?
 - Would it be better to go with 1 jacket with Conformax and potentially Liteloft for late season and another jacket unlined for early season and turkey hunting?
 - How warm are the vests? Would it work to go with 1 unlined jacket and then add on a Conformax/Liteloft lined vest when it gets cold?

And last but not least, any thoughts on choosing Fall Brown or Spring Green?

If you're still reading at this point, thanks for bearing with me! I can tend to over-analyze things sometimes, especially with expensive purchases, but I just wanted to get some additional final input before I made my decision.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Some Advice on Grey Wolf Woolens and Predator Camo
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 09:04:00 AM »
I have two sets of unlined Wolfskin and they are my main outer layers for the majority of my hunting here in WI.  When it gets colder I switch to GW wool.  But a lined Wolfskin jacket would serve the same purpose - they are very warm.

If I were building a GW wardrobe from scratch these would be my priorities in order:
Unlined Wolfskin
Comfortmax/Liteloft Vest
Comfortmax/Liteloft Jacket
In Virginia, the first two will handle just about all you would need. (Along with underlayers)  If you could do all three you would be ready for just about anything no matter where you go.

I have the Comfortmax/Liteloft lined vest, and that is a very warm additional layer and has been a welcome addition to my clothing system.  I like the added warmth on my body where it is needed, and the freedom of movement that a vest provides.  

As to Fall Brown or Spring Green, I think for whitetails it is probably more a personal preference - the deer won't care either way.  Personally, I like the Fall Brown best.  Maybe for turkeys the Spring Green could be a bit of an advantage.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Matt O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 10:47:00 AM »
Whip,

Thanks a bunch for your response! Quick follow-up question though, do you find the Comfortmax/Liteloft lined vest (or jacket) is bulky at all?

Thanks again!

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 10:50:00 AM »
I've owned lot's of GWW over the years. As you say it's great stuff. Whip has good advice above. One thing not mentioned is burrs. I've hunted southern MI a few times and it's full of things that want to stick to you (versus where I hunt here in N. West Lower and the UP, there's none to speak of).  Therefore, I'm using wool for most of my stuff (I've got some cheap lightweight stuff for early season and turkeys). If you have burrs that are an issue, at least consider the wolfskin material for the pants.  Personally, I like the fall brown patern for my hunting. The fall grey is too light for many of the stands I use (I like pine trees).

Comformax/light loft is not bulky in my opinion.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 11:54:00 AM »
I agree with Ray, the Comfortmax/Liteloft lining is not bulky.  Thicker than a thin fleece vest, but certainly not bulky enough to cause freedom of movement problems at all.  Although I don't have one, I don't think the lined jacket would be bulky either as long as you didn't have too many layers underneath.  

Ray also makes a great point on the stuff that likes to stick to clothing.  One of the big advantages of the Wolfskin fabric is its ability to shed that stuff.  Walk through a patch of burrs with fleece pants and you'll probably want to throw them away.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 12:11:00 PM »
I really like the wolfskin stuff too, and ordered a set to fit over wool layers.   I am totally sold on it, after this year.   The wool is hard to beat in really cold, which you most likely would'nt need there.    

I have the unlined wolfskin, and got a comformax vest to layer over that....It worked so well, I think I'll be putting my KOM beavertail on sale.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Greg Clark

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 01:17:00 PM »
I have a couple of wolf skin button up shirts in Fall Brown that are great.  Really nice fabric.  

Never tried the wolfskin insulated vest but do own one of the wool insulated vest.  It is a great layering piece that, IMO, would not be overkill for those cool mornings in VA.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 01:27:00 PM »
Been looking at these products as well.  Is there a significant difference in the noise for the insulated products?  Really love that fall brown camo.

Offline gnihsifnamk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 04:40:00 PM »
You can't go wrong with GWW, I have a set of unlined wolfskin and unlined wool, and a few random other pieces.

1. One of the best deals is the wolfskin button up shirt. $65 bucks, this was my outer layer for the majority of the season here, no need to get the jacket. Probably 60-30F depending on my layers underneath.

2. I really like my unlined wolfskin pants, very wind and water resistant, I can change my baselayer and get a wide temperature range out of them.

3. I would definitely skip the comfortmax lining and jump to comfortmax/lightloft. Just the comfortmax lining on wolfskin would add little insulation and the wind resistance is redundant.

4. The wool is bulky and heavy, its sees more use during gun season for still hunting. I like the unlined wool pants a lot, the wool pullover not as much.

5. All my stuff is fall brown, It works great early season and late, the woods are always brown, not always green.

6. I think Whip's priorities in building a GWW wardrobe from scratch is right on.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 05:20:00 PM »
My jacket is comfortmax lined and it gets pretty cold up here in NY. The thing I like about my GW jacket is the design, it is made for an archer when you come to full draw with it on the front of the garment lays flat and is out of the way of the string. I layer under mine with no bulk issues. Mine are fall grey and works well in early and late season. If you get the lined jacket in 30 degree weather you wont have to ware much under it.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »
I have the wool pullover in Predator fall brown and the pants and pullover in the unlined wolfskin as well as the lined wolfskin vest. Love it all! Was saving up for a pair of bibs in wool, but am thinking maybe the lined wolfskin instead. The stuff ain't cheap but it is of the highest quality and satisfaction is guaranteed.
For your area and the temps you deal with i think that the wolfskin in fall brownwould be the way to go. I did have the pants/shirt in spring green and it was too warm for our turkey season.
Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 07:37:00 PM »
I live and hunt in VA and I have had the fall grey wool with liner for almost 10 years.  Great in the wind and rain, and not too hot from 50 and below if sitting on stand. Color is perfect for treestand hunting.  Having said that a pair of grey malone wool pants and treestand brown plaid wool pullover from the asbells is more flexible and you can buy 3 sets for the price of the grey wolf. I love and use both, the lined grey wolf for really cold, but with longjohns and a wind liner the asbells are just as good.
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 09:11:00 PM »
By the way, I am  a native cheesehead and used to what would be considered extreme cold even by canadian standards.
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 09:35:00 PM »
I consider my GWW Comformax/ lite loft lined vest in Fall Gray to be the best piece of gear I own period ! The half forearm deep pockets, the long tail, the collar that is taller in the rear than the front, etc, etc. In late season on 20 degree days I wear Ulfrotte' 400 gr top, Cabelas regular 80/20 wool sweater and then the vest and I am toasty with a thin bow arm. On windy days I substitute the regualr wool sweater with my very heavy Cabelas windshear lined sweater so my arms stay as warm as my core. I put the vest on my stand during the hike in and walk sweat free since my underlayers are open weave wool. Once on stand for 30 minutes or so I slip the vest on and I am toasty for 3-4 hrs.

I am using the 380gr fleece pants from Predator for my legs but plan on getting a pair of GWW bibs or pants soon. Cannot say enough good about GWW and the quality of their product. I am sure I can pass my vest down to my son when I am too old to hunt.
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by NoCams:
 I am sure I can pass my vest down to my son when I am too old to hunt.
Now just how is that going to work Jimmy.  He's already outgrowed ya!  :biglaugh:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 09:54:00 PM »
Almost forgot to add my preference on Predator patterns...... IMHO Fall Gray is the most awesome pattern out there. My son and I were about 150yds apart yesterday and he was wearing some old Mossy Oak of ours and he was black and blobby, could see him in the tree plain as day.

I was on a Poplar and until I moved he could not see me ! By the way, he even helped me hang a hang on only an hour before and knew exactly where I was. The open light color pattern is what makes the Fall Gray work. This same scenario a few years back caused me to get rid of all our old dark Mossy Oak, well.... almost all of it, haha !!! Have not been visually busted by man or beast since we switched to Fall Gray. Turkeys cannot even pick us out in trees @ less than 10 yds in open clear cuts.
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Matt O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2011, 10:47:00 AM »
Thanks for the input everyone. This has been extraordinarily helpful.

Based on everyone's feedback, it seems that the best way to go might be to get an unlined Wolfskin Jacket in Spring Green and a Wolfskin Vest with Comformax/Liteloft in Fall Brown.

That way I can vary layers underneath as necessary to maximize use of the Spring Green Jacket in the spring and early to mid fall season (via wool base layers), and then add the Fall Brown Insulated Vest on top when things get colder in Nov/Dec/Jan.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©