3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Calling all Hog hunters...  (Read 176 times)

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Calling all Hog hunters...
« on: December 01, 2011, 01:29:00 PM »
I'm just starting to locate some good hog hunting area to hunt but need some help on knowing what to look for as hunting stategy.

The area is a mixture of marsh, mainland points with mixed oak varity like White, Swamp Chestnuts, Pin, and Red that taper down to the marsh, and sloughs that run thoughout. the edge of the marsh are just plowed over with tracks and rootings and areas where there are a type of bulrushes and water lilly that they seem to feeding on.

My question is how would you set up to hunt this type of area?  Spot and Stalk, stand ground or tree?  What is the hog normal day to day routine? where do they normally bed and at what time of the day?  I know a lot of question but i'm clueless to what I need to know to hunt sucessfully, thanks.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Calling all Hog hunters...
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 01:51:00 PM »
Hogs can move at any time of the day but mostly at night in my area. During really hot weather they will move to water during the day if not pressured. It is really hard to pattern them here. Spot and stalk and listen, they make lots of noise fighting and grunting.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 01:54:00 PM »
I often hunt hogs from the ground as it makes it easier in my opinion to get both lungs on a hog. I usually just set up a quick natural blind and hunt from it.
James Kerr

Offline flippnsticks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 02:05:00 PM »
The hogs will have runns( trails) that are in and out from bedding to feeding. Also there are mid day trails. I place a stand on the out trail within a 100 yards of bedding. ( dont go in the bedding they will leave) Look for everyday trees that are being rubbed. The bigger boars will rub these everyday in my area. Ground hunting i set up on the rubs or there go to wallow. Its hard to hunt rooting because its not an everday thing for them(in the same area). As they start to hit the trails to go feed they will fan out. Hog in heat will also work if it is placed low on rub or hanging limb that you see that they are rubbing there back on. Spot and stalk my best luck is in the early mornings watching from a high point, mine are usally faned out till bout the last 100yards of bedding. Most have taken hours to get back. they feed, rub, and some just ge straight to there safe spot. This is just what I have had luck doing.  
Good luck

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 02:13:00 PM »
If you find a tree dropping oaks they will find it too so I would put a stand there and hunt the mornings and evenings. I would bet during the warm days those hogs are lying in the marsh grass to keep cool. I would get close by and listen in the early evening. You should hear them grunt, squeal and move around and then i would go after them quietly. Use your binoculars and go very slow looking through the grass with every step.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Red4arm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 02:39:00 PM »
I always spot and stalk through areas with good sign. Their  eyesight stinks, but remember so do you. ALWAYS HOG HUNT INTO THE WIND. if the sign is a few days old , they are gone.

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 03:18:00 PM »
dogs are great to hunt with hogs are smart they will let you walk by if they are laid up tight in the brush all you need is one cow dogs i have a kelpie they wont go in on them and get cut up usually females are better bear dogs like walkers get killed becuse they will go in on themi know they have catch dogs and kevlar vestsetc anyway thats my experiece here in no ca.
Arrow_Flynn

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 03:21:00 PM »
Super duper hog info thread  

Here is one of the all time best hog info threads posted on here.  Good luck!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 05:25:00 PM »
Thanks guys good info, especialy the one old thread by  Curtis "Littlefeather" still reading all the ere is...Thanks Randy!
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »
Walk the edges of swamps heading into or crosswind.  You will know it when you see (or smell) it.
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 09:43:00 PM »
This thread is the granddaddy of all hogs threads

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=029625;p=2
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©