3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sheep Hunters  (Read 891 times)

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
Sheep Hunters
« on: July 16, 2007, 08:22:00 AM »
I know that sheep hunting season has started in some places already and for others it will soon begin. For all the people that have drawn tags or the residents that are able to purchase a license in some provinces in Canada and the state of Alaska I want to wish you all luck.

I have eight more weeks before my dall hunt in Alaska and I know I could use a little luck too.
Jack Shanks

Offline Java Man

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sheep Hunters
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 08:34:00 AM »
Good luck, Jack.   :thumbsup:  

Hopefully Steve will have some good pics to inspire you.

Gregg
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 12:17:00 PM »
Good luck and have fun. Hap

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 05:37:00 PM »
Thanks guys.

Gregg, I'm pulling for Steve to get the job done too. He will be leaving for Colorado in two weeks on his Bighorn hunt.
Jack Shanks

Offline Elksong@work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 06:29:00 PM »
Thanks Jack,  Good luck and good hunting to you also.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 10:43:00 PM »
Well,

I know Jack has been working as hard as I have to be ready.  I am ready...everybody cross your fingers!  I am going to keep at it for the last two weeks before season, but I've been shooting good and working out hard.  All the gear is laid out and being gone over for the hundreth time.  This is going to be a great adventure no matter the outcome, but I sure hope I have some pictures of me holding a big ram to show you guys.  A sheep tag is a gift from above and I plan to use it accordingly.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 10:49:00 PM »
There are going to be lots of great sheep stories to come this year.  We're pulling for and cheering all of you guys!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Mark Maves

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 01:31:00 AM »
Jack- Good luck on your hunt up here.  I drew an archery only tag for sheep in my "backyard" but I have to wait until October.   Hope you have been

Good Luck to you too Steve.....
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline fish theotherone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 05:50:00 AM »
and dont forget to take your cameras! i love to see the picture you guys take!
one day ille get to flatirons place!

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 03:31:00 PM »
8 days before I leave and 13 to season open.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 05:27:00 PM »
A big Good Luck to all you sheep hunters.  I'm very much looking forward to seeing how you've done when you get back. Next year I start applying;) Stay safe and have fun. Cheers, Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 04:20:00 PM »
Mark,

Which area did you draw your tag in? I will be hunting in the Chugach Range. My wife and I will be up on a sight seeing trip towards the end next month. Going to be tough for me being in Alaska as a tourist during hunting season. I'm telling all my hunting buddies that we are going up on a scouting mission so they don't give me too much static.

Elksong, good luck on your Bighorn hunt.

Bowmania, good luck! Where does your hunt take place?
Jack Shanks

Offline Jason Lester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 04:42:00 PM »
Jack,  

Your going on my dream hunt. Dall Sheep in AK... what a trip that would be. I hope you been getting in shape. AK is a beutifull place but is a bit demanding on the body. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Jason Lester

Offline Numitokayo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2007, 04:47:00 PM »
Jack, I know its a bit early but I want to wish you all the best on your sheep hunt.  Bring back the story  :)

Daniel
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2007, 05:47:00 PM »
Jason thanks,  I have been working on getting in shape since I booked my hunt two and a half years ago. In the last two years I have hunted Mt goats in BC so I have some idea how tough the hunt is going to be. I've been working out since February this year doing at least an hour on the eliptical each day. Every other day I combine climbing the high school bleachers and walking the track with a sixty pound backpack. 1250 steps up and down and two and a half miles. Takes me a little over an hour. When I started out last winter I was 220 lbs and I'm now at 188 lbs. and still losing. Unlike the two previous years I'm going to try to not let myself get back out of shape after the hunt is over.

Daniel, good to hear from you and thanks. I hope all is well up in Fort Simpson.
Jack Shanks

Offline Elksong@work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2007, 05:52:00 PM »
Jack good for you on getting in shape!  I was 235 in May and have gotten down to 205. It makes a big difference in the woods. My scouting trips have really shown me the improvments being in shape can make!  When I hunt Elk I know that I can usually find them where I can get to them, but I am pretty sure I will have to work a little harder for a sheep!  

Plus just like the commercial - " My wife says I'm not as disgusting as I used to be!".  :biglaugh:

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2007, 07:52:00 AM »
Jason,

I'm down to 185lbs and will probably loose another five or more before the wife and I go on our scouting trip. Not sure how much exercise I'm going to be able to get in while we are traveling but I will try. I have less than a week before my hunt once we return home so not enough time to do much good.

Called the guide the other day on his cell phone and he was just coming off the mountain from scouting. He had located a couple of good rams but more in the area where his first hunters will be. He has a place in mind for me that is typically better in the late season where they are pushed by the earlier hunters. I need to be in top physical condition just to get there and that is what I'm working at.
Jack Shanks

Offline chrisg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2007, 10:01:00 AM »
Hello Jack, 100% on the commitment! Shows integrity and focus you are an example to many. hope you are taking some quality supplements, that level of activity and the weight loss needs supplementation.
chrisg

Offline John/Alaska

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2007, 12:19:00 PM »
Good Luck Jack on your hunt & "scouting" trip - I still don't know if I'll sheep hunt or not this year. My old body is not in as good of shape as I had hoped it would be at this point. Been a bit too lazy. With the season opening the 10th of aug here there is not enough time but you never know I might still give it a go and will pick up a tag just in case I feel up to it.
John/AK

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2007, 07:01:00 PM »
chrisg, Thanks for the advice. I think I'm starting to feel the effects of workouts and weight loss. Couldn't do the eliptical on the highest resistance setting yesterday or today and it took me longer to do the bleachers with my backpack yesterday evening. Going to take a day off and see if that helps.

John, with so many animals to hunt in Alaska it's got to be a tough to choose.
Jack Shanks

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©