3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Open to suggestions  (Read 486 times)

Offline david murnan

• Trad Bowhunter
Open to suggestions
« on: December 02, 2011, 07:44:00 AM »
Hello all, this is my first official post on here. Hopefully I placed it in the right forum.
I am in the market for a new long bow. I have never owned one... I currently have a Black Widow PSA recurve. I am seeking suggestions on long bow makers. I would really like a two piece take down.

Thank You,
DAVE

Offline brian brooks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Open to suggestions
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 07:50:00 AM »
Brian Wessel @ TallTines archery has got a beautiful three piece that is a heck of a shooter and looker.Call him next week.Poor guy's in Kansas this week hunting.He will fix you up with a bow you will love,but it is three piece
brian brooks

Offline carpenter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 08:26:00 AM »
Jim Reynolds  Thunder Stick Archery.All of his bows are top notch. If I could have only one bow it would have to be a MOAB!
Howard Hill Wesley Special  HH Halfbreed

Offline emt137

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 08:41:00 AM »
I would recommend Nate of Bama Bows.  I just got one of his take down longbows and it is amazing.  He's great to work with and has the fairest price I've seen.  His turn around time is one of the best also.

Pat
"For man only stays human by preserving large patches of simplicity in his life, while the tendency of many modern inventions...is to weaken his consciousness, dull his curiosity, and, in general, drive him nearer to the animals." -George Orwell

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 08:42:00 AM »
You will have 100 different recommendations before this is done.

You would be doing yourself a favor by being patient and trying out bows until you find one that "fits".  

Usually there are gatherings and festivals all summer where you will have the opportunity to try numerous bows.  Sooner or later you will shoot one that you just cannot miss with.

Good luck, keep it fun.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 08:54:00 AM »
Charlie's suggestion sounds the best, take your time and try a few others out. Other Trad shooters, can help. If they will let you try a bow or two. You are in a great location for a lot of the Trad events coming up. This will save on your budget and the size and quantity of bow racks you fill. Enjoy
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline thunder1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 09:04:00 AM »
Your best bet is to shoot as many longbows as you can get your hands then decide. If your like me and don't have many trad. Shooters in your area you can go to one of the traditional archery expo's . Another option is the classified adds here. I bet I've bought and sold 30 bows over the past couple of years.  Just to get to the point that I have 4 bows that I really like and 2 that will never leave .
No man ever stood so tall as when he stooped to help a child

David

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 09:07:00 AM »
I won a Stalker  Tracker longbow last Spring. I generally shoot recurves as I have trouble with longbows. But this one is sweet and fast and accurate. If I can shoot it anyone can.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 09:10:00 AM »
A longbow isn't just a longbow. There are Hill style, reflex, reflex deflex, hybrids, selfbows, and probably others that I am forgetting. They will have very different characteristics, both in looks and in performance. If you have a chance to try various styles, you might be able to make a better decision. I see you live in Georgia; Big Jim is there, is a sponsor here, and maybe you could visit him and test one of his bows. Nobody makes a prettier bow than Jim, and they perform with the best of them, but the styles that he makes may or may not be your cup of tea. The bottom line is that you may end up with several different bows before you find just what suits you to a tee, and that isn't necessarily a bad thing.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 09:14:00 AM »
Charlie's recommendations are right on line.  There are so many styles, designs and great longbowbows available now that it will really pay you to try a bunch before you spring for a new bow.  If you really want to start shooting a longbow now, start with a used bow from the classifieds and sell or swap until you get the chance to test drive several.  Also, keep the draw weight low to reasonable.

My suggestion, unless you already have an idea of what you want, would be to start with a mild deflex/reflex style in the 62-66 inch range and experiment out from there.  Most of all have fun and savor the journey.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 09:25:00 AM »
I went with a Fox longbow mainly because Ron listened and seemed to understand what I was looking for. He was probably rolling his eyes in his mind the whole time I was talking. That's been a few years ago. I've learned alot since then.  :)
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 09:31:00 AM »
Dave,
 What the others have posted is dead on. Try as many different bows as possible. Most Trad folks are more than happy to let you shoot a few arrows from their favorite.
 I've found my favorite more than once!(I thought)What works best for me may not be the bow for you.
 Try em all!

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 09:43:00 AM »
If you areopen to a 3 piece then i would give a look at a Sarels Blueridge tskedown longbow. That is my go-to bow now and I love it. You should really try a lot of different ones as this is a personal preference question you are asking and your personal preference might not be the same as that of others.

Bisch

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 09:57:00 AM »
If you could get to an event like Kalamazoo or Cloverdale, you'd be able to try a bunch of different bows.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline david murnan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 11:57:00 AM »
My initial post must have been to vague. I really want a two piece take down. In my very limited research I have found only a few people that make them... Big Jim, A and H makes one... and maybe Black Widow. Are there any others?

Offline TRAD101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2011, 01:00:00 PM »
cari-bow archery makes a two piece, abe does real nice work. he is a sponsor here.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2011, 01:22:00 PM »
If you like the style of the Big Jim Thunderchild, you really can't go wrong with a bow from the Big Guy. I absolutely love mine, and it is a two piece takedown.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline david murnan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2011, 03:51:00 PM »
Has anyone shot the A and H acs? How would that compare to the thunderchild? I talked to Big Jim... he said i would be looking at a year. The A and H folks told me about 10 weeks.

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »
I heard MOAB are the greatest... Never shot one or seen one in real... also a realy sweet looking bow is the thunderhorn heart stoper 2 pc take down, I never seen something that sweet!!

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2011, 04:06:00 PM »
Since you seemed to be specifically interested in a 2 pc. take-down long bow I would suggest you consider Dan Toelke's 2 pc. Whip. I believe he has one you can see on his website  www.montanabows.com  under "current inventory". Dan uses the unobtrusive Bowbolt system and his bows are superbly made and delivered in about a month from the day ordered.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©