3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: what do you look for when buying a bow?  (Read 625 times)

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: what do you look for when buying a bow?
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2011, 11:39:00 PM »
what traits do you look for when buying a bow?  
#1 priority is an honest company or bowyer who stands behind their work.

After that the usual--comfortable grip, lack of shock, quiet shot, smooth draw, good warranty.

Chad

Offline MercilessMing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2011, 05:42:00 AM »
#1 priority is an honest company or bowyer who stands behind their work.

:thumbsup:

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2011, 08:18:00 AM »
Personal Evaluation Criteria:

1....Grip:

2....Shootability:

3....Bow Length:

4....Hand Shock:

5....Sound:

6....Limbs:

7....Deflex riser:

8....Performance:

9....Draw:

10...Brace Ht:

11...Physical Wt:

12...Service:

13...Durability:
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2011, 08:36:00 AM »
Although I enjoy target shooting/stumping, bows are hunting tools for me. On the target range you can most always have a perfect stance and are able to shoot with perfect form. In a hunting situation there is no telling how you are going to have to bend, cant the bow or dis-configure your shooting form. Most bows I have shot will shoot good with perfect form but I have kept 5 of the bows I have tried as they can shoot a perfect arrow from any angle or with the pressure of your draw anywhere in your grip.

A perfect flying shaft can mean the difference on recovering or not recovering your game.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2011, 10:47:00 AM »
Years back I bought a Super Kodiak. With that bow I made some of the best trick shots and hunting shots, I am predominately a Hill style longbow shooter. When I decided I was going to get a new Super K, I tried out a bunch of them all between 50 and 60 pounds. Most of them were identical in quality as far as craftsmanship and shooting abilities. One, a 6o pounder, was built a little finer and shot heads up above the rest, so I bought it.  Not all bows of the same make and model are created equal, find what works just right for you and stick with it.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2011, 11:00:00 AM »
In my opinion

First is grip.  If it doesn't feel right, nothing else matters.  

Next is how it feels when I draw.    Again, if it doesn't feel right, put it down.  

Next is how it shoots, meaning, does it jar me to pain or is it a nice smooth shot.

How fast it goes, how straight it shoots and noise are all down there on the list.  (How straight it shoots is a function of the shooter and the arrows, not the bow.  Noise can usually be tweaked out).  All the above are prefaced with a bow in good shape overall.

ChuckC

Online Sacred mt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2011, 11:11:00 AM »
Feedbacks from customers...likes and dislikes.

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2011, 12:31:00 PM »
First it has to "strike my fancy".  This is more do I think it has all the features that I know fit me well. Second I have to shoot it and it has to "fit" my body, mind, and shotting style. Kind of like picking a women.  Although I I have much better success with bows than women....
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline bayhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2011, 04:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Friend:
Personal Evaluation Criteria:

1....Grip:

2....Shootability:

3....Bow Length:

4....Hand Shock:

5....Sound:

6....Limbs:

7....Deflex riser:

8....Performance:

9....Draw:

10...Brace Ht:

11...Physical Wt:

12...Service:

13...Durability:
Friend just wondering is that order of importance? thanks for your reply by the way

Offline thunder1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »
Grip, sound, looks, hand shock, efficacy draw weight, draw length
No man ever stood so tall as when he stooped to help a child

David

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2011, 08:18:00 PM »
I would go with the customer assessments , Especially those customers that own a fairly large variety of quality , known bows. Then I would apply Scot's list. That is a great list.
You could also make great use of the Trad Gang section on product reviews. Search it for the bow and bowyer you are considering and then you might even contact some of the customers and talk to them. I especially reccomend that to my prospective customers.

God bless you, Steve

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
Some bows shapes are more appealing to me than others. I never liked the looks of some risers with sharp angles, squared takedown limb edges, or "horns" sticking out everywhere. I really don't care for light/dark contrasting colors either. Laminating a dozen different woods into a riser might look good to some but I like simple dark bows, maybe a stripe but not much more. Not a fan of antler knobs or tips. But that's just me.

After the initial attraction it's all about the grip, draw, physical wt, and shooting abilities, in that order. A new bow has to have it all before I will buy it.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2011, 08:57:00 PM »
Do I already have one of that kind, have I wanted to try one of that kind. Is the price fair and if I don't like it will I get most of my investment back. Do have enough money in my pocket. And can I explain to my wife why I just had to bring this bow home..........   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2011, 09:12:00 PM »
Grip and than a quiet bow or one that can be made quiet. I am a big fan of static limbs and have been for quite a while, most static limbed bows are very smooth and pretty quick too! Shawn
Shawn

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2011, 05:16:00 AM »
A dark color bow with "JACK KEMPF , KWYK STYK" hand written on it, about 55#@28" and 56" in lenght, with Jack's Static Tips     :knothead:       I have one meeting those exact specs..      :goldtooth:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©