3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cabela's Legacy Wool??  (Read 414 times)

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
Cabela's Legacy Wool??
« on: December 02, 2011, 08:43:00 PM »
Just been perusing the Cabela's Bargain Cave catalog thingy and looking at some of the hunting clothing on sale.

I noticed the "Legacy Superwash Wool Pants and Shirt" and the "Dry Plus Legacy Wool Series"...and wondered if they are any good.

Has anyone tried any of these? Are they any good?
Are they quiet? Durable? Comfortable?

Thanks a lot guys!

Online ESP

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cabela's Legacy Wool??
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 09:01:00 PM »
I have 2 of there shirts.  I like them a lot.  They have lasted three hunting seasons, and for me, that is saying something.  I am rough on my gear.

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »
Thanks for your reply ESP!
Which kind of shirtdo you have?

Is it the one called " Legacy Superwash"?

I'm thinking about trying the pants and shirt in the Loden color. I am worried that the "Dry Plus" ones will have that annoyingly loud inner liner like some of the other dry plus line...

I am just trying to find some decent wool clothing, I have not been too impressed by most of the supposedly hi-tech synthetic stuff I have tried from Cabela's.

Offline Dave Coalter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 09:42:00 PM »
Have you though about buying one of Ron's wool long shirts.  I have one for the price there great.
Inside every old man there is a young man asking what the heck happened.

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 10:52:00 PM »
I have not seen Ron's wool shirts, is he one of the sponsors?

Does he do pants?

Asbell doesn't do pants either...

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 11:03:00 PM »
I have 2 of the Cabelas shirts and a really like them! The extra large tall shirts fit perfect with room to layer underneath!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 11:08:00 PM »
Thanks for the response bow hunting fool. I am trying to make a decision while the sale is going on.

I am starting to be most interested in the Cabela's wool pants, since I can probably get a wool shirt from a TG sponsor or at a thrift store.

Offline DeCurry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 09:35:00 AM »
I just received two pairs of the Superwash (the ones with the cargo pockets).  Cabela's online store was running a sale recently (and may still be doing so) where you could get these for roughly $40 each, that's more than half off new.  (I called some local Cabela's shops and they didn't seem to carry these in stores, so if you ever want any, it seems to be an online only item.)

I was pleasantly surprised.  They are very well made.  Fit true to size, all wool (not thin and not too thick).  I normally shrug at cargo pockets because of all the annoying methods manufacturers use to seal them (like really loud velcro on my BDUs) but these use a single small snap fixture (the type with a small nub in the middle) that works well and is relatively quiet; an unsnapped flap should suffice if you want to leave them unsnapped (which isn't an option with velcro-style pockets as they 'auto seal' to my great annoyance).

The pants are not lined, but I tried them on and wore them out shooting in the backyard the other day for an hour and they didn't really itch.  I usually wear some form of long johns / base layer during cold weather anyway, so I don't see it being an issue either way.

Front pockets are ample size.  Back pockets have a small flap and have a single button closure.  Front closure is a metal button; zip fly.

My only complaint would be that they only come in a 32 inseam / length (hemmed).  I wanted to order some for a family member / hunting buddy for Christmas, but he has really long legs and they would never work for him.

Tried to take some pics for you but it's raining here today so no natural light and the flash completely distorts the colors.

I ordered one of each, the Gray and the Green / Loden.  Both are darker than I expected; the gray is really more of a charcoal gray (I was hoping for more of a field gray) and I would describe the green as more of a hunter green than loden.

Hope this helps.
"I was raised on wolves milk, though it seems I sleep like a lamb."

Offline huntmaster70

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 10:30:00 AM »
I've got the washable wool pants-I think they are perfect,warm & good fit.

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 11:09:00 AM »
Thanks for all the info guys! That helps a lot. Thanks DeCurry, your post reads like a professional product review! I like it! That sure helps me get an idea of what those pants are like...

Looking at the Cabela's catalog and reading the short descriptions leaves me trying to use my imagination too much! Not enough info.

I have kinda long legs too, but a 32 should still work I hope.

Offline Dave Coalter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 01:45:00 PM »
Yes look in Ron La Clair's web site he has them there. For the price you can't go wrong.
Inside every old man there is a young man asking what the heck happened.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 02:17:00 PM »
I LOVE my Legacy washable wool stuff.  Cabelas hemmed mine to the desired length at no extra charge.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2011, 02:26:00 PM »
Is it really waterproof, could you wear it in a steady rain and not get wet?
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline DeCurry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011, 05:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by FarmerMarley:
I have kinda long legs too, but a 32 should still work I hope.
I forgot to mention that I normally wear a 32 in most of my pants; however, I found these to be somewhat long on me.  They almost touch the ground in the back; after coming inside from doing some shooting, I found the hem area had been dragging a bit and was slightly dirty.

As to waterproofing; they aren't treated with anything that I'm aware of, but like most wool, they should be able to block most drizzling rain (usually rolls off), and most wool will absorb a large amount of heavy rain before you experience issues with added weight or keeping warm, unlike say cotton clothing.
"I was raised on wolves milk, though it seems I sleep like a lamb."

Offline agross1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 05:50:00 PM »
Man, what a great price,  might have to add these to the Christmas list.
Silvertip 60"  54#
64 Kodiak 60"  50#

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »
Thanks everyone.
Dave, I'll check out Ron's stuff too.

Decurry, I'm glad they run long. That's better than to short!

Oh-oh...one small detail. I just checked out cabela's website and it said it would be 33 weeks before the loden colored pants would ship! they are on backorder...

Online toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2011, 10:23:00 PM »
I found teresa asbell wool pullover with carhart bibs are awesome.

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2011, 11:00:00 PM »
As for the Dry Plus, I have a jacket with it, and can get hot. Raining inside might describe the feeling. I have not worn it in several years and like Gore Tex, it requires special washing instructions with their bottle of wash. It was bought in the off-season, and shipped by air, naturally, and the box was wet. The plastic bottle with the wash solution froze in transit, and in the process leaked thru the box. In my opinion,    "[dntthnk]"
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2011, 01:45:00 AM »
Hmmm...Yeah, I am not too impressed by the "Dry Plus" either.

I was just looking at the cabela's site and saw that they also sell wool stuff made in the USA. "Filson Mackinaw Wool Pants" they are 199.99. I definitely prefer made in the USA...The other stuff is probably made in China right?

Toddster, I might need to try one of the Asbell Wool pullovers. Which Carhartt bibs do you use? Are they noisy? I am Northern Cali so I don't need extreme warmth, but quiet would be good.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©