3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Centaur + Woodsman= ?  (Read 937 times)

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Centaur + Woodsman= ?
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2011, 11:33:00 PM »
I find myself passing the road into the main portion of the land and it is as if i'm being controlled by another force stronger that my indecisiveness.  I make the turn on a road nicknamed "Rattlesnake" need you ask why lol.

Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2011, 11:44:00 PM »
My decision to hit the snooze the second times is now having consequences as the gray light is fast turning to the purple hues mixed with soften shades of white.. I must hurry!

The land has been logged in the last 2 years and i've decided to hunt along the edge of the thick branch that runs north and south in relation to the property.  The logging company have cut strips of pines out of the land that run east to west and has created somewhat of a checker board pattern. In years pass i've stayed down in the branch and normally get blown out by the deer due to thermal, something i've never paid a mind to.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2011, 11:50:00 PM »
Well, this year after gleaming from here how to use the thermals and the wind I decided to hunt the ridges in the morning and bottoms more in the evening.  

I fine a pine tree on the east side of the branch and in the intersection of one of the clear cut lanes in the pines.  This feels foreign to me as I like the bottoms with the oaks and the activities of the squirrels but i'm learning to resist the path of ease and comfort zones.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2011, 12:01:00 AM »
I thinks sometime all the years I've missed out on quality hunts due to taken the route of the "norm" i've seen more deer this years due to a willingness to change and try new things.

I got settle in and looked at my phone to check the time, 0645 and the sun is starting to rise. My stand location wasn't perfect due to I couldn't find a suitable tree that faced away from the East so I knew that around 0715 to around 0830 the sun would be in my eyes, oh well life is like that at times.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2011, 12:09:00 AM »
At 0815 or so after not seeing anything I decide to use a little doe in a can and grunt sequence to liven things up.  I do so every 30 to 40 minute when at 0920 I hear a stick snap west and behind me.

I look back and a little over my left shoulder trying to see what made the noise and I see movement and make out a large doe then another and finaly a young yearling.  They are moving through the pines in between the clearcut lanes instead of taking the easier route    :saywhat:    

I had just moments before opened one of those cheese stick tubes to catch a quick snack, and now the 2 larger does are 20 yards behind me with their noses in air trying to assess where the danger is    :knothead:

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2011, 12:18:00 AM »
They move on and after they are out of sight I make a few quick grunts to possibly bring them back.. And after a few minute when things looked like they had really moved on I did another seris on the can and grunt tube.

While at the same time watching back over my left shoulder...

At 0935 I see movement again from where the does had just came through and at first i thought another doe than I see a little bone on top.

The young buck appeared to me on a mission as he was coming in at a gait and I would have to make a decision to shoot sitting or stand now.

I quickly eased up, got my hand on my bow in one somewhat fluid motion and started looking for the lane I needed.  I'm always amazed at how well a deed can pinpoint the area of sound.  He had the grunts located to within a yew yards of the tree and was on a mission to find the other deer.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2011, 12:26:00 AM »
As he went behind a patch of low brush and a pine tree, I had one of those moment where everything went into automatic as his head disappeared momentarily behind the tree my bow arm came up and my string hand began to draw.

Within that spit second of being behind the tree to coming out in the clear I  was almost at full draw and picking a spot..

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2011, 12:35:00 AM »
As he cleared the cover and stepped out into the intersection I was in positioned and my mind took complete control and the arrow was in the deer and my ears were confirming what my eyes were seeing.

At the shot the deer dropped, in an instant and I knew he had dropped a little at the shot and I had spine him.

In realty he had not turned to a full broadside angle and the shot was angle more of a quartering to me as he was on the move at the time.

I quickly got a second arrow on the string and rushed the shot deflecting off a limb and into the dirt.

I grabbed my last broad head loaded arrow and took a little more time and sent the arrow into his side but a little too far back and at an acute angle due to him thrashing on his side and me being 18' up.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2011, 12:43:00 AM »
As he laid there with heavy breathing I prayed to God to allow his passing quickly but it seemed too long to me probably due to the fact that all of my arrows were shot and I couldn't relieve him of the last bit of suffering.
Lesson: Life is not always pretty and neither is hunting, chances are taken and like life variable are involved and do effect the outcome.  

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2011, 12:52:00 AM »
He is still now as I make my way to him, I thank God the giver and taker of life and bless his name! Now the work comes and the ease moves over for the labor and more effort must be made.

This is my first Trad Buck and also with a Longbow. For those who care the spec's are Centaur Triple Carbon 60" 54# @30" (when at full draw).

Offline longbowray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2011, 01:00:00 AM »
Thank you , nice looking deer .
BOWHUNTTER FOR LIFE

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2011, 01:02:00 AM »
:thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2011, 04:41:00 AM »
Great story. Congratulations on a fine buck.
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Online Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2011, 06:33:00 AM »
I actually was able to sleep last night though even though I didn't get to see the pics.I guess visions of venison danced in my head.The ole Woodsman kinda left a mess.Nice buck now slow down and let me catch up!

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2011, 07:18:00 AM »
Congrats.  Way to make things happen!
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2011, 07:29:00 AM »
Congrats!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline uglyjake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2011, 07:45:00 AM »
Congradulaations on your first buck.  Good story too.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2011, 08:03:00 AM »
Quite alluring to be guided by the half man, half horse of classical Greek mythology.

Thanks for sharing!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2011, 09:06:00 AM »
Thanks guys this Trad stuff gets in you!

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
NICE!  :thumbsup:
James Kerr

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©