3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Medicine Bag Anyone?  (Read 1066 times)

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
Medicine Bag Anyone?
« on: July 16, 2007, 10:45:00 AM »
I'm sure I'm not the only one with this behaviour, but I guess I'll be the first to announce it here 8^).

For the past forty-couple years of bowhunting, I have always picked up articles in my hunting areas, such as; a tooth from an old animal skull; odd looking stones; maybe some pine needles; feathers, etc. I will carry them in my fanny pack through the season, thinking (in my primitive mind) that they may possess good luck of sorts. Usually I end up with a compartment full of what looks like a pack rat's nest.

I read an article in Bow and Arrow, I believe, about a then famous bowhunter who did the same thing, showing that I wasn't the only one stricken. I'm curious as to how many here have their little medicine bag included in their packs. By the way, I've already started mine for this year. There was a squirrel skull lying on an old stump near the bottom of my woods. Yep....a couple of those incisors are now in my medicine bag 8^).

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Medicine Bag Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 10:56:00 AM »
I'm gonna try it
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 11:06:00 AM »
I don't know if this qualifies, George..but I have ALWAYS picked up unique stones, pieces of wood, and of course any indian relics laying around and brought them home.

I can go through my cabinet and pick one up, and immediately I'm transported to the place it came from.

The sights, the sounds, the smells..all come rushing back...right now I'm on top of the Continental Divide in the Gila..the wind coming through the tops of the ponderosas..the evergreen scent strong on the breeze.. the barnyard odor of elk comes to me on that same wind.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Mr Vic at the cabin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 11:16:00 AM »
Yep, carried one for years. My first one contained little pebbles from sacred places like Bear Butte, Devils Tower, The Medicine Wheel on top of the Big horns,Wounded Knee,Little Big Horn Battle field,Harneys Peak, a little Turtle made by a Native lady out of the sacred Pipestone from the quarrys. A coyotes tooth, arrowhead I found. I'm proud to say Adkmountainman has carried it and added a few small items to it's power also. I;m wearing it now to help me stay on my path.   Vic
"If i could help just ONE person on the good path and see things they did not understand i would feel that i have accomplished something worthy in my life."  Ken Mowery (Adkmountainman)

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 12:00:00 PM »
I have one made of buckskin with a beaded medicine wheel on it with things I have picked up. Knapped point from middle east, knapped point from west TX, polished stones found in dry river beds. piece of sage & piece of sweet grass. I plan on taking it to Canada for my caribou hunt.

Donald
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 12:09:00 PM »
Yeah.  Been doing it for years.  Usually make it a point to pick up a few stones from each new area I hunt.  Unusual feathers whenever I find them, or even unusual ones that have some other significance.  Most of these end up as decorations throughout our house.

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 12:26:00 PM »
You know i remember doing that when I was a boy.Don't know why I quit.I probably still have a few of those ole things.including what looks like a petrified cacoon.You can still hear somthing rattleing in it.but it's like rock.
Your best shot is only as good as your next one!

Offline C2@TheLibrary

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 01:02:00 PM »
I also did it as a boy/teen. I lost my medicine bag in my 20s and never replaced it. Might have to now that the thought has been given rebirth.

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 01:04:00 PM »
Yes, I Do!!!!!   :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 01:21:00 PM »
It good to know I'm not the only crazy one on here    :p     :rolleyes:  I've carried a little buckskin pouch with my "medicine" trinkets for years. Mostly secret stuff, a broken stone point found in my hunting area, a tooth or claw from an animal taken that showed special traits so as to capture their power.

The indians held great store in their medicine bags. The contents of which they would never reveal. Early one fall I had a female store clerk reach out and touch the medicine bag I had around my neck. It happened  fast before I could pull away.   :scared:   My hunting that year was the worst I can remember. Coincidence?....maybe,....or maybe not.     :confused:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Rusty Izatt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2007, 01:54:00 PM »
I have one I have worn for years.

Ron,
I had a very simular experience with getting the "MOJO" sucked out of my medicine bag. I was on a bear hunt with 6 other hunters. The first night of the hunt one the other hunters seen my medicine bag laying on my gear bag and picked it up. He proceeded to hand it around to everyone else in the party so they could check it out. Well the first night out in the stands, 4 of the hunters shot big bears, the other hunter got his bear the 2nd night. I on the other hand sat for a week in stands and did not see one bear. I was the only one not to shoot a bear. Bad luck???? or bad medicine??

Rusty

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2007, 01:56:00 PM »
I pick up stuff that that captures my attention but rarely keep them.  I will pick it up, look at it and return it to it's spot.  The only thing I remember keeping was a smooth, polished stone that I knew didn't belong where I picked it up.  It was a stone that you would most likely find in a novelty shop that had been polished and sold and probably not native to the area I was hunting.  I spent time in my stand that day wondering how it got there.  I dropped it in a creek on my way out because I felt it belonged in a creek.

Since I have put away my high tech bow and have started a new journey with traditional gear having a medicine bag seems natural.  I'll have to build one and begin keeping the things that catch my attention.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 02:05:00 PM »
I dont do the medicine bag per say. However like you if I happen to see a feather or rock that catches my eye I pick it up and keep it in my pack at least through that hunt. Sometimes it ends up on my archery bench for years.

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2007, 05:37:00 PM »
I have one that is about 15 years old and have been wanting to make a new one that doesn't smell so bad.
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline jimneye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2007, 05:47:00 PM »
Lots of good MOJO in that smelly old bag,  might be bad medicine to throw it away.
I've hunted almost every day of my life.....the rest were just wasted

Offline Bard1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2007, 06:03:00 PM »
:(  I had started one last year, but some how I lost it a few months ago on the archery range. It was a good one too. I miss it.   :(    :(    "[dntthnk]"  
Derek
got arrows?

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2007, 06:52:00 PM »
Ohhh man.  If you are gonna succede by superstition, you fail from superstition.  Like the Gorillas say in their song - "It's all in your head".    :knothead:

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2007, 07:13:00 PM »
Wow....I didn't know gorillas sang.

bowdude...it's all about allowing the total essence of the woods to pemeate our souls.  The aura of spirits past dwell within those trinkets and go along on the hunt.  It doesn't mean you will have a better chance to kill something; it does mean that you have a deep respect for the hunt in general, and are willing to share that with spirits of both the hunters and the hunted....past and present.

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2007, 07:15:00 PM »
Yes sir, for years.  Leland

Offline Numitokayo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2007, 07:20:00 PM »
I've been carrying a medecine bag for a while now. I always enjoyed and still enjoy keeping with me these small things that remind me of places I've been and things I've seen.  

Giving that small pinch of tobacco always makes me feel good.

This is a very nice tread Mr. Stout.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©