3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Medicine Bag Anyone?  (Read 1065 times)

Offline Squirrel Bait

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Medicine Bag Anyone?
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2007, 07:30:00 PM »
Always got mine. I'd tell you what was in it but then I'd have to kill ya. I had to threaten my 11 yr old with bodily harm about my bag.
If you've never been in the woods at daylight, and seen the world come alive, you haven't " Lived".

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2007, 07:35:00 PM »
I'm not supersticious at all, but I carry a small lock of hair from my daughters and wife, and something that belonged to my grandfather in a small leather pouch tucked away in my fanny pack.

Offline Stickbow98

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2007, 09:02:00 AM »
Whenever I get cranky or indecisive, my friends have a saying for me..."Have a COOKIE!!" (I'm a diabetic and low blood sugar really messes me up)     :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2007, 11:39:00 AM »
i have collected something from just about everywhere i have ever hunted.  some of the rocks i have picked up wouldn't fit in a medicine bag though, truth is some of them won't even fit in my pack. those ended up in the flower bed in the yard.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2007, 11:49:00 AM »
I don't but Dianne does.

I have more like a medicine ROOM downstairs full of "stuff" we've picked up over the years and like Rob, Dianne is an uncontrollable rock collector and we have rocks from every place we've ever been and some places we'll never see.

I do wear an elks tooth from a bull elk Dianne bow killed in Montana years ago. She gave me the tooth for our 24th wedding anniversary, so next May I'll have had it around my neck everyday for the last 10 years. Will wear it until I'm dust.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2007, 12:49:00 PM »
Just added one to my back quiver. I filled it with 'Big Bear Medicine'  teeth and such, going to lace a small shed to the cord ....room for much more as I go along.  

Hoping the medicine works for me !
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2007, 12:53:00 PM »
just an idea, what if we could have a medicine bag exange, everyone makes a medicine bag and puts some good medicine in it, then sends it to someone, we have knife, bow, and turkey call exanges, why not this, again, its just an idea
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline Inhimwelive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2007, 01:00:00 PM »
No not really but I do have one habit that is similar... when I see a nice feather in the woods I pick it up and place it under my bows grip by the quill...
In Him we live and move and have our being , make a joyful noise, sing unto the Lord, tell him of your love, dance before him...

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2007, 02:59:00 PM »
well i have made a bag and i will be starting to fill it when i come to the states. it will be a special one. well to me anyway.  :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2007, 03:01:00 PM »
good idea ian but aint ya supose ta geet these special things ya self?   :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2007, 03:11:00 PM »
My problem is I have a Medicine Backpack!  I'm always looking for something different to handle a knife blade with.  I should probably pay more attention to hunting    :bigsmyl:  Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline bowmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2007, 03:21:00 PM »
Yep, seldom is it that I'm not wearing it. I also pick up larger odds and ends. My most important mojo I add little pieces to this pouch for safe keeping. I made and have worn this for almost the past 26 years. On the 4th or 5th braintan neck thong.

Wool the Natural Fiber

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2007, 03:21:00 PM »
I, like Ethan carry a lock of each of my daughter's hair with me, My wife is unaware that I have one of hers as well  ;)  there's a few other things in there that I wouldnt part with nor wander without.  I'd rather take a beatin or stay home.  Yeah I could be a little superstitious I reckon. DD
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2007, 09:51:00 PM »
i will be making myself a new one shortly. i believe mr. Stout said it best. its about honor, lost souls and special feelings to me, as well as a little magic!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2007, 11:26:00 PM »
bowmac,
That's a nice un   :thumbsup:    :campfire:
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2007, 07:30:00 PM »
"Early one fall I had a female store clerk reach out and touch the medicine bag I had around my neck. It happened fast before I could pull away."

Me too, Ron! I was horrified, but well, it was innocent ignorance on her part, with a touch of unschooled rudeness, and I just tried to get out of there without a fuss. I don't remember what year that was, or if it harmed my hunt. Hey, maybe that was when I got downsized out of my cushy overpaid job and had to empty portajohns at construction sites while looking for my brutal job at the Post Office..

To the questions I always get about its content, well, it is a schematic of my head...full of rocks! I escape in the laughter, and keep my secrets.

Mine has gotten old and is falling apart, so it travels in a pack. Folks don't see or ask about it now, so, no harm. I dunno how you keep yours so nice, bowmac, with everyday wear, collecting sweat and oils, mine only last about seven years.  

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2007, 12:18:00 AM »
I put one (hand made by someone else) on St. Judes this year, and it was bid well on by a gent who really wanted it for a very personal reason (he got it). The more I looked at it and thought about it the more I decided I wanted to try to make some nice ones, and I still hope to (when I find time - LOL)

This was that one:

Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Linc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2007, 04:31:00 AM »
I don't have a medicine bag per say but I'm constantly picking up various items I find when I'm out in the woods.Feathers,bones,jawbones,skulls or anything that catches my attention.
Lincoln E. Farr

Offline Mike Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2007, 04:57:00 AM »
Me too.  My kids think I am weird......

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©