3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: what is your favourite tree stand setup  (Read 746 times)

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
what is your favourite tree stand setup
« on: December 04, 2011, 03:05:00 PM »
i know this is terrain and tree dependant- but all things being equal-
do you prefer to be closer, but higher to the anticipated kill zone
or
 a little lower, but a little further away.

what are your experiences??

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: what is your favourite tree stand setup
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 03:22:00 PM »
I like sitting at the base of the tree. Had enough tree stands.    :bigsmyl:
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 03:26:00 PM »
sure jerry- hear ya- i do like my "pit" blind technique that i learnt from my friend "calgary chef".
but just wondering how much the two above scenarios effect results-
the closer position might maker for easier movements- but a harder shot- the other way- more likely to get busted, but an easier shot to make!

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 03:30:00 PM »
Lock-on in a big old cedar bar none for me.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 03:34:00 PM »
I'll second Jerry.   :bigsmyl:
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 03:37:00 PM »
I use a lock-on and always try to get above the lowest bottom limb. No matter the terrain or tree.
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 03:41:00 PM »
I try to find a tree where I can set up my stand 10 to 12 feet up above the first limbs of the tree and around 15 yards from the trail I am hunting
Gary Gentry
Cari-bow Wolverine T/D 62@28

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 04:05:00 PM »
I like to set up about 20 feet in an open area. I try to pick trees big enough to hide my body outline.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 04:37:00 PM »
the rain forests up here in the pacific north west- dont really allow for limbs for cover sadly- because the canopy is gonna be up 50 to 80 feet- so i do the best i can- 20' off the ground and about 30 -35' away from the trail.
maybe i need to try some asat camo net in front of the stand- to help mask any movement.!!

Offline Stump_pounder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 10:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by fujimo:
the rain forests up here in the pacific north west- dont really allow for limbs for cover sadly- because the canopy is gonna be up 50 to 80 feet- so i do the best i can- 20' off the ground and about 30 -35' away from the trail.
maybe i need to try some asat camo net in front of the stand- to help mask any movement.!!
Hit yard sales in the summer and buy old fake christmas trees, hang it around your stand Best thing for us NW guys   :thumbsup:
Wes wallace recurve 58#@29
Bear Kodiak static recurve 70#@28
PBS member

Offline Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 10:52:00 PM »
Personally I like lower, 12 feet, and farther from the trail, 15-20 yards. I think that gives a better chance of nailing both lungs.
As for cover I'm not above cutting a little hemlock sapling and standing it up such that it hides my stand or tying a few branched to the tree at stand level. If you can find a way to mount your camo
fabric that would work too.
Good luck and hope you bag a mowich.

JW
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 10:55:00 PM »
When I do use a stand, chippewa or loc on, I like to set up 15-17 feet up.  I like to get 20 yards away from trail, where there are three or more.  I also like to use a curve on the trail and set up outside of it.  I have to credit The Wensels for my technique reading and talking with them and years of trying there recommendations have worked for me.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 11:28:00 PM »
thanks, good ideas all- yet more to digest.
thanks for all the input- keep the info coming.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 11:29:00 PM »

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2011, 11:30:00 PM »

Offline beyondmyken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 06:04:00 AM »
with all the canopy minimal, now is the time to do a perimeter around your potential stand and see how your potential stand would look from the game's perspective.  ie backlight from sun, overhead branches, treestand on a slope and game comes from ridge down toward you, etc, etc.    Some stands can be quite low, ie an inside corner of a woodlot bordering a cornfield.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2011, 08:56:00 AM »
I've been hunting from trees 44 years longer than the average life-span of a Grey Squirrel (avg. age is tadd less than a year).

I prefer 15-18 feet high and about 15 yards from where I expect the deer to be when I shoot. I despise being closer than 10 yards because deer apparently hear my nose hairs rattle when I breath (pant).

My preferred tree species is an evergreen -- Eastern Red Cedars in my neck-o-the wood. Like TJ above I like big old limby ones. Have to be careful not to overtrim them and create gouging holes. I don't like the sap running from fresh cut limbs on these trees though getting all over the hands and gear! (Hopefully, this the only unmanly admission I'll make today).

If no cedar is handy my next choice is a multi-trunked hardwood or one with large, shape-hiding limb. From a security stand point I no longer like to be in trees (I use lock-ons) that don't have limbs around the stand or a tree touching the front and back of the stand. I often put a strap on the front of the stand to a limb or adjacent tree as well as the tree I'm in -- thi keep the stand from jostling at all.

I practice from the top of my deck standing on about two feet of foam.  This is about a 15' high shot. I practice at 10, 15, 20, and for a form check - 30 yards.

I have 8 stands up currently on 137 acres. Three are lock-ons in cedars (I love Lone Wolf but saw a Big Muddy that looks rugggged!). Four are ladders in multi-stem and limby oaks and a hackberry.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2011, 09:00:00 AM »
Another thing I do.  I prefer tying limbs out of the way rather than cutting them if possible. When I cut limbs (cedar) I often weave these among the uncut to provide additional cover from eyes below me.

I like that Christmas Tree idea!  The cedar limbs that I've cut and weaved die and have to be replaced over time.  A section of artificial Chritmas tree would eliminate that issue!

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2011, 09:11:00 AM »
anywhere over a deer...

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2011, 09:49:00 AM »
I use to use climbers, but I find in this area that it's not necessary to go very high up, so I now use two sets of Lone Wolf sticks, and a very light weight easy to hang fixed stand. This set up gets me up about 10-12 feet just above the bottom canopy. I naturally try and get close to other smaller tress that still have leaves. With this set up one can really tuck themselves away from very good eyes. Don't forget, the higher up you go the more the angle is for the shot.

Once all the leaves have fallen off I just use fake Christmas tress that have been put by the trash, deer don't know that an oak tree is not supposed to have pine tree limbs, come to think of it, most people wouldn't notice that either.

A couple off years ago, I had a pretty good size buck come up the tree, like a dog to try and figure out what I was. He never did, and eventually just wondered off, this really surprised me !

While hunting I don't usually go up in a tree, but since this set up is so light weight , I spot and stalk with it on, if I find a good ambush spot, with a good tree, I go up and wait, I also carry a light weight seat that I can set up in seconds. In this situation I would just put all the other stuff down and out of sight, seems to work pretty good for me.

Hope this helps.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©