3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Griz VS Kodiak  (Read 242 times)

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear Griz VS Kodiak
« on: December 04, 2011, 07:42:00 PM »
I have been told that the Kodiak is a step up from the Griz,,but no one ever elaborates on why it`s better.. Anyone care to take a stab at this?

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Griz VS Kodiak
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 07:53:00 PM »
Wish I could let you know, but I just got the Griz. with no string, so I can't shoot it yet. I can tell you that my Bear Kodiak is the most accurate bow I can shoot so far.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 07:58:00 PM »
It was Bear's top of the line bow from '53 to '66. It cost more, had fancier wood, a bit more heft so a little more stable in the hand, maybe a little faster and smoother shooting, some years more lengths offered. From '64 on the design was much different on the Kodiak with the "horns". If you are a Grizzly lover you may not agree with me.

My first real hunting bow was a '67 Grizzly bought new and it performed just fine. However any Kodiak performed better for me and felt better in the hand than any Grizzly.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 08:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by reddogge:
It was Bear's top of the line bow from '53 to '66. It cost more, had fancier wood, a bit more heft so a little more stable in the hand, maybe a little faster and smoother shooting, some years more lengths offered. From '64 on the design was much different on the Kodiak with the "horns". If you are a Grizzly lover you may not agree with me.

My first real hunting bow was a '67 Grizzly bought new and it performed just fine. However any Kodiak performed better for me and felt better in the hand than any Grizzly.
What do you mean by HORNS?  And also,,are all Kodiaks MAGNUMS? if not,,what is the difference?

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 08:26:00 PM »
Magnums are short (52") and Super Mags are even shorter (48") at least on newer versions. The "horns" he's referring to are the shape added that's now a part of the front of the riser. Check out pics at 3Rivers or the Bear site.
You can also do a search on Trad History/Collecting to see older Kodiaks without the horns.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Migra Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »
If you are talking about what makes early and mid 60's Kodiaks sell for more than the Grizzlys - it's the wood.
Fred was using much more exotic (and more pricey) woods on the kodiaks. The Kodiak became the cadillac of the hunting line. It's just a better made bow - better form, better wood, etc. It's what makes a Cadillac sell for more than a Ford.
When the Superkodiak came out - the woods went to what we know as the "future wood". We also had the emergence of the Kodiak Hunter then which used alot of the exotic woods formally used in the Kodiak. The 70/71 era hunters were using bubbinga, shedua, etc.

My personal opinion on the Grizzly line is that they were MUCH better shooters before they got shortened. Grab a 59/62 Griz back when they were 60-62 inches and they are wonderful shooters. I have a 60 Griz that I found on a trade blanket at Denton that Rich Lopez snake-skinned for me that shoots great. When the grizzly got shortened to 56" and 58"- i think it's shootability declined.

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »
I would agree with all the above,especially Bills statement that shortening the Grizzlly made it seem harder to shoot. I have had dozens of the older bears over the years, and the Kodiaks were smoother, had more mass weight in the riser which I like, and seemed faster than the grizzly's I had, especially the later ones. To be trueful, seemed like all the older bears stacked a  little to me, and the kodiak less than the cheaper models. I dont know, maybe I was just weaker when I was younger, anyway my 2 cents worth.
samuel koger

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 10:30:00 PM »
I've had both, got rid of the Super Kodiak and kept the Grizzly. The grip fits me better and I like the simple lines on it. I really like how the fiberglass lam is one piece tip to tip on the back, without horns. My Grizzly is a '72 with green riser and brown glass.

Didn't the old adds say the Grizzy was the working man's bow? It was something like that.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 08:45:00 PM »
Migra Bill said it for me! The Kodiaks were always better shooters for me but nothing wrong with the Grizzly's, both will get the job done. Shawn
Shawn

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 07:19:00 AM »
The Kodiak is/was the top of the line for Bear, but not everyone buys a Cadillac.

The Grizzly was known as the "working man's bow".  They get it done with rugged simplicity.

I tend to agree with Migra Bill in that the 62" Grizzly's are fabulous performers.  However, I would not call the 58" (or 56" for that matter) poor performing bows.  I am especially fond of 1964-1967 58" Grizzlies.  I find these quiet, fast, and forgiving for their length.

If you are worried about asthethetics and wood quality you can always go with 1959-1960 Grizzly's as pictured here.  One of these has a fabulous butcher block riser.

Yes, I am a Grizzly fan, but I will tell you I would not shy away for a Kodiak at all.  I just enjoy collecting Grizzly's as I feel they are great performers and they are less expensive for the hobby collector to dabble in.

TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©