3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Making Staves & Learning The Craft  (Read 356 times)

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
Making Staves & Learning The Craft
« on: July 16, 2007, 10:56:00 AM »
Thought I would share my effort at following the ring on a Black Locust stave yesterday evening.  This was only my second attempt at working wood for a bow.  Nearly 20 years ago I got the wild hair and worked a piece of osage lumber down to a pretty shape but the first pull caused it to loose the top limb in a spectacular way.  I didn't understand much of anything about it then or that the ring needed to be kept in tact for the back.  After checking out the Bower's Bible from the library and rereading certain chapters of it umpteen times I decided to play with some old logs saved back to make tie rails and fence posts.
Cutting firewood is one thing but this was my maiden voyage in splitting staves from a log.  My son and I huffed and puffed in the humidity but gained the satisfaction of generating 4 staves when all was done.  
Well, I made a pile of shavings with the draw knife to clean the sap wood off one.  I really don't think this particular tree will suit my needs very well as it has a slight twist but worse, yet, is that the early wood seems to be thicker than the late wood.  All the, or nearly all, the sap wood is now removed and the ends coated in glue.  Now when I find time one ring needs to be zeroed in on and brought to the surface.  If this stave can be turned into a useful tool I expect it to have light draw weight.  That is fine and I will give it to one of my girls.  If it can't then it will be kindling for the stove.  Either way I've finally gotten back on the horse to give it another ride.

Offline va

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Making Staves & Learning The Craft
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 11:19:00 AM »
ChristopherO -

I used some black locust as a practice piece.  I backed it with sinew and ended up taking a rabbit with a blunt.  Lots of fun and a serviceable bow.  I ended up cutting it down for my daughter and once I get it to draw a little lighter she will have a fun plaything.
Poor folk with poor ways, but rich just the same.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©