3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: has anyone killed a deer in the NY Northern zone EVER???  (Read 621 times)

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: has anyone killed a deer in the NY Northern zone EVER???
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2011, 06:01:00 PM »
Nice pic, shot one with a rifle a few years back in the tughill area, very anticlimatic 3 yards away from me but I was in some deep woods.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2011, 06:13:00 PM »
Ken when we came up by you we saw deer, I might have killed one except they heard Joe snoring and started to blow.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2011, 06:18:00 PM »
I have shot numerous deer in the northern zone, but none yet within the Adirondack Park.  I only saw one buck up there all season.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2011, 06:19:00 PM »
Nice pics Izzy.  Makes me miss the mountains already and I was just up there this past week-end!
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline huntingarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2011, 06:30:00 PM »
Nice pics,looks like a great place to start turning elk loose.
IF MONEY TALKS MINE SAYS GOODBY

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2011, 06:30:00 PM »
Dang Ron only half a buck , you prolly been looking for a whole one thats why you cain't see him.  Now you say you ran into an old feller , what does it take to qualify for that one   :saywhat:   Drew
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline guspup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2011, 06:34:00 PM »
The Adirondack Park comprises 6 million acres, the size of the entire state of Massachusetts. Standing in the middle of it with a stick and a string is a humbling experience.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2011, 06:35:00 PM »
Here, I thought you upstate guys were smart, the reason you haven't got many deer is because they're all down here in Jersey for the hunting season, you know, kinda like us going South for the winter.   :banghead:
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2011, 06:56:00 PM »
Not for sure but if it wasn't real warm and real far back in this one could have been in trouble.

" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2011, 07:17:00 PM »
Aint no deer in NY   :readit:  

For all that are offering hunts and thinking you would rather move,

The Adirondacks have a secret Allure all its own.  It gravitates hunters even they know the odds are against them.  Izzy and Oak have touched upon this calling to keep coming back. Ken has written poems about it.

Hunting the ADK's and getting a deer is a big accomplishment. To do it with stick and string would be quite an achievement.  To live without the pleasure of succumbing to her awe, that's tragic. We all know, we dont go North for the kill but hope that someday we may have a close encounter.   :readit:  

You could compare it to the Yukon Gold rush. Many went with a grand illusion and fantasies of becoming richer men, few came back with money in their pockets most who survived came back with visions, memories and adventures to be told.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »
Drew that "Old" guy was in his late 70's or early 80"s. He was hunting up there before I was a gleem in my Daddy's eye! I have hunted in and by the Siamese Ponds Wilderness area for over 40 years. I have carried a recurve and a longbow and did see a real nice buck still hunting 15 or 16 years ago. When I sat nice I mean 150-160 class, I hunted him for 2 years and saw him twice.  It is a very humbling feeling to be 6 or seven miles from the road and then start to hunt. I can't do that like I used to.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Mike Manassa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2011, 07:33:00 PM »
Stumpkiller, it wasn't a hoax..I have killed several with trad eauiptment on my land in Jefferson county..Ken, come off the mountain..There are deer in the farm country...Mike

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2011, 07:48:00 PM »
now don't get me wrong i LOVE where i hunt and do not want to hunt anywheres else, deer or no deer. i have taken many North but not with trad bow (have not killed one yet) i have saw many while hunting the last few years but it is BIG woods for sure. i just never hear of anyone getting them with trad gear up this way. deer numbers are way down this year in my neck of the woods but right now is the best sign for the year i have saw, they are feeding heavy in the beeches. truth be told i will be hunting the big woods more next year as where i hunt South is a small property and i really hate sitting over fields and hearing everything going on in the neighbor hood. i own ( with Ron W) 5 arcres on my little slice of heaven and will spend much more time there next year. my ash's will be scattered on the mountain i hunt.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2011, 08:12:00 PM »
You should want to hunt some where else Ken!! As nice as it is it would be nice see game on a regular routine. Just say'n......I have hunted there 3 years now and have seen 3 or 4 turkeys, that's it!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »
i have killed 7 bucks and 4 does of THAT mountain, none with trad but 11 deer none the less. a B&C, and 2 others that would make Ny Big Buck club. they are there. the honest truth is i do not hunt as hard as i use to, nowhere near the house. if a man sat on that top ridge right now for 5 hours 4 days in a row he would see deer.  i still LOVE to hunt but time is not on my side. you have to get a good feel for the area, put your finger on the pulse. i screwd around in to many other areas again this year, that will not happen next year. Bowspirit just had a big racked 6 point in bow range there last week but could not get a good shot, had him at 15 yards sitting in the low ground blind.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
funny only 1 person has stated that he has taken a deer in the Northern zone, with the one Chris shot that makes 2.......

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
Not everyone the hunts up north with a recurve or longbow and has been successful belongs to this site or even posts their good fortune. I know a bunch of guys who used to hunt this part of the world, I don't even know if they have a computer. I'm sure there guys that still do well once in a while!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2011, 10:13:00 PM »
They are all Liars   :laughing:  

Good luck Ken, you are wayyyyyyyy over due! I'm beginning to think you dont like venison.   :dunno:  

One would need a lot of time and good knowledge of the area to get a shot.

I know a few guys that had deer close but couldn't get a shot.

Glenbo had a doe in range but couldn't get a responsible shot.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2011, 11:42:00 PM »
A buddy of mine lives in Balston Spa and heads to the Northern zone every september. He uses wheels but he shoots deer every season, usually in Trad range. He passed 13 does up in the early season and finally decided to take one the last day. He hunts an old abandoned homestead loaded with apple trees

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2011, 01:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by Skipmaster1:
A buddy of mine lives in Balston Spa and heads to the Northern zone every september. He uses wheels but he shoots deer every season, usually in Trad range. He passed 13 does up in the early season and finally decided to take one the last day. He hunts an old abandoned homestead loaded with apple trees
Who is this gentleman that lives in the same town as me? I may have to grease his boots.

:goldtooth:
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©