3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New member needing advice on arrows  (Read 201 times)

Offline cuboodle

• Trad Bowhunter
New member needing advice on arrows
« on: December 06, 2011, 12:06:00 AM »
Ive been lurking for quite some time here. I finally obtained a Hoyt buffalo 45 lb draw hoping its closer to 48 or so when it gets here i will have it measured. My draw is 27 1/2 I shoot 3 fingers under, my question is arrow selection. I was going to start with gold tip 35/55 cut to 281/2 with 125 grain tips. Need the help of the members before I drop a hundred on a dozen. Thanks in advance.

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New member needing advice on arrows
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 04:12:00 AM »
I'll be the first one to say not to cut them that short at the outset.  Carbon is a different animal, and it likes to be long.  I'd say get the dozen full length....or at least 30" and then bareshaft tune with probably 3 arrows before doing anything else.  Use something like a piece of a plastic bag around the inserts to hold them in the shaft without glue while you go through the tuning process going up in point weight till you find what flies right.  

You don't mention what your insert weight will be, but plan on needing more than 125 grains upfront.  This will help you gain a higher FOC and better flight.

Good luck and have fun.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New member needing advice on arrows
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 06:48:00 AM »
carbon is a good choice. see big jim here on trad gang try to buy blems. they are 1/2 the cost they are great shafts.you wont get a better deal.the only thing I have been able to see is a small mark on the finish.spine an weight are true on anything I have ever bought.dont cut anything until you know you have too .work with point weight an when you do cut one cut only one or you will screw up the whole dozen take your time an know you got the one arrow perfect.also look into brass inserts.if you have a head you like an it is 125 gr an you need more weight the brass insert are great

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©