3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Buffalo Question  (Read 312 times)

Offline T-D

• Trad Bowhunter
Buffalo Question
« on: December 06, 2011, 04:35:00 PM »
I would like some input about the Hoyt Buffalo. Also is there anyone in NC that has one I could possibly shoot?
Resident Hog Slayer

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Buffalo Question
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 04:39:00 PM »
I've been shooting one since April and I really like it. I have two sets of limbs for it, 45# and 50# for 3-D and hunting. Also have the bow quiver and hunt with it on.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Kentucky Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 05:24:00 PM »
I recently sold my 62" 55# rated Buffalo.  The only thing I disliked about the bow was a lack of tuning and setup instructions.  The DVD that comes with the bow has very basic information and Hoyt has no other documentation.  My bow did not come from the factory properly set up and figuring out how to get it dialed in was a chore.  

Best thing I did with that bow was buy a SBD string.  The factory string is junk.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 06:34:00 PM »
I was lucky and had a friend who owned one for a couple of months and worked with me to tune and quiet it. They tune easily but you will wind up tuning the arrow to the bow not unlike shooting an old Bear or other non adjustable bows. We both love them.
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline T-D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 08:32:00 PM »
I was looking in the 3 Rivers catalog and they have it in 58" & 60" however, when I looked at the Hoyt site they have it as 60" & 62". I really like a shorter bow. So if they don't make this in a 58" then I am going to look at the Bob Morrison ILF's
Resident Hog Slayer

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »
I am a one piece longbow guy, but that hoyt buffalo is simply unbelievable.  butter smooth-feels 15 pounds lighter than marked, selfbow quiet, set in concrete stable.  Simply the easiest bow to shoot accurately I have ever shot or witnessed in 38 years as a bowhunter. Not sure about the limb attachment system under hunting conditions, but it is better than ILF IMHO.  I highly recommend you shoot one. 3rivers has a 30 day money back guarentee
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline LinemanARK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
The only problem I have had with mine is the handle is cracked but other than that is its awsome. I wish I had started in trad archery back 3 years ago when I bought my first wheeled bow. I have learned alot from this site and still am. Love this bow only good things about it.  Mike

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 09:53:00 PM »
Herndondt, I have one and your more than welcome to shoot it. Not sure where Stokesdale is but we have an indoor 3D range here in town if you wanna get together and shoot sometime. Let me know.

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 10:29:00 PM »
My opinion echoes Michaelschwister sentiments. Anyone who has even given it a thought of owning one of these Hoyt Buffalo's owes it to themselves to give it a fair shake. I have had mine a little over three months now and I can't seem to put it down!!! I love it. Managed to harvest a nice Michigan Whitetail doe with it in the middle of October. Silent, and quick!
It casts an arrow quite nicely out to 30 yards. Mine is 50# and it feels like its low to mid 40's when in fact it scales at 54#@28", very smooth on the draw.
I will say that it prefers a heavier spined arrows, by 12-18# in my experience.
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline T-D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 10:39:00 AM »
ckanous thank you for the invite. I am located right outside of Greensboro, maybe an hour from you. I'll pm you later and see if we can't get something together.

I want to thank everyone for there input and it hasn't gone unnoticed. I can really tell that everyone really thinks highly of this bow and I am going to give it a try!
Resident Hog Slayer

Offline ESP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 12:44:00 PM »
I really like mine.  I pull 31" and it does not stack.  I also have the short limbs.  I also wished me had come with a manual instead of a dvd.

Side question  how many turns from bottomed out can you safely back off the limb bolts?

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 01:47:00 PM »
I owned one and sold it. It was quick and smooth for sure, but I found it felt very heavy, and mine was pretty loud and I couldn't get it to wear I wanted it. I ended up picking up a Dorado a couple of weeks ago and I find it to be Lighter, as quick, as smooth ( i have a 30" draw") and mine is very quiet!.  I'd take the Dorado over the Buffalo any day.....but that was just my experience.

Offline T-D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 12:23:00 PM »
:campfire:
Resident Hog Slayer

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 12:58:00 PM »
There are a few things that must be done to silence a Buffalo. Rubber washers under the limb bolts, proper brace height and a SBD string  :)
Kevin Osworth

Offline T-D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2011, 02:48:00 PM »
Thanks I'll keep that in mind limbow
Resident Hog Slayer

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 02:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by ESP:
I really like mine.  I pull 31" and it does not stack.  I also have the short limbs.  I also wished me had come with a manual instead of a dvd.

Side question  how many turns from bottomed out can you safely back off the limb bolts?
I'd call Hoyt on that one. I shoot mine bottomed out.
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline flinthead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 07:08:00 PM »
Had one for 4 days. Liked everything but the grip and the fact had to shoot Hoyts limb system. Grips are changable and if you do not want to use the ILF system-go for it. Riser shape is curvy and bow is a joy to shoot. I went back to a Titan. One opinion, Roy
Maybe it is time to shoot what I have on the rack

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2011, 10:13:00 PM »
I have been trying to figure out what bow I have/had that the Buffalo geometry and smoothness reminded me of.
It wasn't until I strung up my 62' Bear Kodiak that the light went off!!!! The grip feels similar to my 62' Kodiak, just slimmer.
Kevin Osworth

Offline macksdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2011, 10:30:00 AM »
I love the Buffalo I got one that is 55# and one that is 45#. They shoot great super smooth and shoot quiet. They like heavy arrows and skinny strings. They come with a pretty fat string both of mine now have skinny strings fast flight 8 strand on my 45# and 10 strand on my 55# I shoot a 500 spine arrow that total weights around 500 grains for the 45# bow and a 400 spine arrow that total weight is around 625 grains for the heavier bow. You can adjust about two pounds of pull with the limb bolts I think you can turn those limb bolts two turns out from the bottomed position. they are intended for tiller adjustment more than weight adjustment. You will not be dissapointed if you buy a buffalo just be patient and get the bow and arrow tuned for you and with a little practice you'll be happy. I wish I were in NC so I could hook up with you and ckanuos and do some shootin. PM me if you have any questions I tend to ramble on when I get the chance to talk about the Buffalo and someone will listen.
Hoyt Buffalo   #45@28,#50@28, #55 @28, #60@28
Hill Country Wildcat 52#@28
Hill Country Wildcat Static #57@31
Rick Welch Accuracy Factory

Offline macksdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2011, 10:39:00 AM »
Herndondt, Just read where you were looking for a shorter bow, I have never found a 58" buffalo only 60 and 62 . but you might consider trying a Hoyt Dorado I have a 58" one and it shoots great too. Plus its a little cheaper.
Hoyt Buffalo   #45@28,#50@28, #55 @28, #60@28
Hill Country Wildcat 52#@28
Hill Country Wildcat Static #57@31
Rick Welch Accuracy Factory

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©